The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#751 2018-01-01 18:35:45

Shadowpayne
Tipsy

Re: Writing Status

Happy New year Eric.  A quick question.  Are you taking a break?  I keep looking for new chapters in your stories but as of late I have not seen any.  My six month support is about to expire and I am debating whether or not to continue.  I have always enjoyed your writing but I have not enjoyed any of the other authors on this site.  So if you are taking a break, I understand.  You have set up a pretty impressive writing schedule these past five years tat I have been following you and I hold you in high esteem.  We all have to make cuts here and there and I have been enjoying my $10.00/month subscription to Amazon Kindle unlimited where I can read a few thousand books at my pace.

My original suggestion still stands that if you wish to monetize your work, you can post your books on Amazon and I am sure that Woodward Academy would do very well there.  Another of my favourite authors John Conroe has been posting his Demon Accords books there for a little while and I think your work is easily as good as his.  He is seems to be doing very well.  James Wisher is another example of an Author that has brought his stories to a variety of sites and is also doing well.  I think in the past you stated it was not about the money, so think of income from Amazon as site support. 3dtongue

Anyway, again Happy New Year and I wish the very best in 2018.

#752 2018-01-01 19:29:45

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

20 points to Jefferson for knowing the reference.

50 points to advancewar for actually watching it.

Eric Storm

PS:  Like "Whose Line..." the points are made up, and mean absolutely nothing.  3dtongue

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#753 2018-01-01 23:11:54

Augur
Wasted

Shadowpayne. It seems that all the problems that Eric has been having lately (health issues, stresses at home, hurricane Irma, evacuation, etc.) have added up and he seems to have a pretty serious writing block. In such cases it´s very difficult to estimate when one will be able to overcome it. Outside pressure usually doesn´t help much. The only solution is being patient and hoping Eric finds his muse again.  As for your subscription/donation, well, that´s your choice. And yes, it´s been a while, but without support it will be that much more difficult for Eric to return to writing. 

Best wishes for your 2018, Eric!

Last edited by Augur (2018-01-01 23:14:44)

#754 2018-01-02 01:29:56

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Thank you, Augur, for trying to run interference on this one.  And for bringing the post to my attention, as I had somehow missed it.

Augur is mostly right:  I have been struggling with stress as of late, caused by various issues.  When I am stressed, I find it very hard to focus enough to write.  Oh, I do a great job with story ideas when I'm stressed out, as evidenced by the fact that, during the last few months I've come up with one or two novel ideas, and ideas for at least three different adult games... but actually sitting down to do the work of writing anything out has just been beyond me.

When will this situation resolve?  Your guess is as good as mine.  All I can tell you is that today marks the second day in a row that I've written something.  That, unfortunately, doesn't say squat about whether I will write something tomorrow.

And as to your special access running out, all I can say about that is this:  If you are looking at your donation as payment for site content, then you are always being ripped off.  Your donation is really just that: a gift to help me with my living expenses.  So, assuming it's not about YOU not having the money to make a donation (because if that's the case, you shouldn't ever make a donation...), you have to ask yourself this question:  "Do I want to make Eric's life easier, or is that not important to me?"  If that issue isn't important to you, then you should probably not make the donation.  I don't really want to discourage anyone from donating money to me, but the fact of the matter is that paying just to read the content isn't worth it: you can just wait a little while, and you'll get the content for free.

Then again, as I pointed out, the less stress I'm under, the more likely it is that I'll be able to write something, which would get everyone more content, more quickly.  Most of my stress is caused by money issues, so...  Make up your own mind.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#755 2018-01-05 21:53:56

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Update for January 5, 2018:

I don't really have anything big to report here, I just didn't like going so long into the year without an update.  3dsmile

WAY7-8 is now over 11,000 words long.  I expect somewhere around another 5,000 words needs to be written on it.  I have been doing well lately, but I can give no promises or even estimates on when it will be finished.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#756 2018-01-05 23:31:41

bigfoot
Wasted

Thank you for 1) the update and 2) pushing through and continuing to write. Speaking for your fans, we appreciate the time and effort you put into creating and adding to this world. We don't mind waiting. Have fun and write well!!

#757 2018-01-10 05:09:18

StoryJunkie
Wasted

I have a small problem with something bigfoot just posted....in the "speaking for your fans" he said "we don't mind waiting"....well dammit I mind waiting, and it is frustrating as hell to wait.....

of course that being said I don't blame Eric for the wait, it's not like he chose to have things hit like they did and impact his creativity and ability to put words to screen.

3dtongue

Last edited by StoryJunkie (2018-01-10 05:11:04)

#758 2018-01-10 17:44:06

Josh.Bond
Inebriated

To quote, Lao Tzu, "A journey of 1000 li begins with a single step. A li is an old Chinese measure of distance which converts to 360 miles or 576 km. Keep going and you will get to your goal.

#759 2018-01-11 19:26:04

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Update for January 11, 2018:

The Woodward Academy, Year 7, Chapter 8: January is now complete, and with the reviewers. (All 20,000 words of it...)
The Woodward Academy, Year 7, Chapter 9: February has been started.

As of right now, I've already written nearly 12% of last year's writing total.  Let's hope this trend continues.

Chapter 8 will not be posted on February 1st, but I will instead post it as soon as it gets back from the reviewers and goes through a final proofread and edit.  This usually takes about a week or so.  You can figure to look for it around Jan. 20th, but that's not a guaranteed date, just an estimate.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#760 2018-01-11 19:35:40

Augur
Wasted

3dsmile 3dsmile  3dsmile  Thanks Eric!!!

#761 2018-01-12 18:24:23

firewing628
Tipsy

Does this mean we’re likely to see chapter 9 on February first per the usual schedule then? Glad to hear things are getting getting better for ya Eric. We’ve all been pretty anxious waiting I’m sure.

#762 2018-01-12 19:44:09

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Are you OUT OF YOUR FUCKING MIND?  I just took MONTHS to write one chapter, you want the next one written in TEN DAYS???

Under NO circumstances will you see Chapter 9 on February 1st.  When I said that I was abandoning the posting schedule, I also said that I would not post chapters closer together than a month apart. (Reference this post.)  So the earliest you will see chapter 9 is (post date for Chapter 8) + 1 month.

That makes the HUGE assumption that it's actually ready to be posted at that point.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#763 2018-01-13 00:43:45

firewing628
Tipsy

Sorry I must’ve missed that post. Not trying to rush you Eric, all art takes time I know. I just know many authors will work on multiple chapters simultaneously, and so they sometimes get published sporadically. But take your time, better to get it right. It was my mistake to make an assumption like that. Writing is an art and in my humble opinion quality is better than quantity. So take your time Eric, we’ll all still be here when you’re ready to share your work with us.

#764 2018-01-13 01:14:35

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

Thanks for the update, looking forward to chapter 8 getting posted sometime in the next week or two.

#765 2018-01-13 04:05:09

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Just for complete clarity:

I write linearly.  That is, I write my stories from start to finish, in order.

I know there are other authors who will write scenes from different parts of their books, slowly filling in the pieces until they have the whole book finished.  I just couldn't do that.

I think the difference between the styles can be found in my previous two statements.  I think of what I do as telling a story, not as writing a book.  Since no one that I know of tells a story by jumping here and there, I can't write it that way, either.

I'm not saying the other way's not legitimate, or that it won't produce a good story.  I'm just saying my mind doesn't work that way.

Plus, I have to admit, I have a tendency to change course mid-stream when I'm writing, if I think up something as I'm writing that I think is better than what I'd planned out.  If I did that kind of thing while writing a book in pieces, I'd never finish the damn thing!  All that re-writing, oy!

In any case, no, I don't work on multiple chapters of any one story at a time.  I may work on more than one story at once, but that's different.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#766 2018-01-13 07:20:15

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

As a post-script, I will say that I occasionally - but rarely - break this pattern.  For instance, I have had two short scenes for WAY8 written for over a year now.  I wrote them out because I didn't want to forget how I wanted them to go.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#767 2018-01-13 08:23:57

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

Once the story is chapter, you have to tell us which scenes those are!

EDIT: Oh man! Did I screw that up! I'm amazed I can write at all. I, of course, meant to say "Once the Chapter is Posted, you have to tell us which scenes those are!"

Last edited by Jefferson (2018-01-13 22:29:08)

#768 2018-01-13 15:09:23

Timberwolf92
Inebriated

Thanks for the update Eric

Jefferson wrote:

Once the story is chapter, you have to tell us which scenes those are!

Oh please do

#769 2018-01-15 14:59:47

td219
Tipsy

Eric,

Of course, looking forward to the new chapter release, but honestly find these glimpses into your writing process fascinating. As a very analytical and non-creative person, I always find it interesting how those that create the vivid stories I love go about it.

#770 2018-01-15 19:28:36

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I think there may be some misconception about the "two scenes" I mentioned.  They are part of *book 8*, not this upcoming chapter.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#771 2018-01-16 03:01:09

firewing628
Tipsy

I understand they’re from Book 8, but I for one would still love to know which scenes were so important they were decided before Book 7 was even finished.

Last edited by firewing628 (2018-01-16 03:01:45)

#772 2018-01-16 03:35:19

Timberwolf92
Inebriated

you took the words right out of my mouth Firewin628

#773 2018-01-20 03:36:20

Crusader
Wasted

firewing628 wrote:

Does this mean we’re likely to see chapter 9 on February first per the usual schedule then? Glad to hear things are getting getting better for ya Eric. We’ve all been pretty anxious waiting I’m sure.

LOL

This could be one of three things.

1) You were trying to get all of us to laugh with a ridiculous question.
2) Your an intensive jerk, who thought he was posting a serious question.
3) Troll comment to get a rise out of the Storm, others, or both

I'm going to assume #1 as it was my first reaction, and it gives you the benefit of the doubt...

#774 2018-01-21 00:20:44

firewing628
Tipsy

Crusader you’re basically right, lol. It was honestly meant to be lighthearted, unfortunately however I think I unintentionally gave poor Eric a heart attack.

Last edited by firewing628 (2018-01-21 00:21:00)

#775 2018-01-21 02:29:32

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Smilies are our friends.

Obviously, Chapter 8 will not be posted today.  Not all the reviewers have gotten back to me yet, so you can blame them.  (Yay!  I get to blame someone other than me for once!  hehehe)

It'll be a couple more days, but soon.

Or maybe I'll just torture you all thanks to firewing and wait until February 1st to post it.  MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  misch_smiley

3dtongue

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

Board footer