Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-09 06:33:40

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I guess I'm still mostly a kid...

I like Transformers.

No, not the movies.  I mean, they were okay, but... nah.  No, I like the TOYS.  And the more complicated they are to transform, the better.  (It makes me sick that they now have "one-step change" versions of characters like Optimus Prime and Bumblebee.  You were meant to WORK AT THIS, DAMMIT!!!)

Seriously, I have this thing about my hands being idle. My body doesn't like it.  If I'm watching TV, or talking to people, or whatever, my hands tend to want to be doing something.  I do NOT talk with my hands (much), but I will fiddle with nearby objects, tap, thump on things, etc.

Enter Transformers toys.  They are something to do with my hands, and also allow me to think creatively.  (No, don't worry, you're not going to see any Transformers fan-fiction out of me.  I never learned the Transformer universe to begin with.  My focus was ALWAYS the toys.  I always made up my own story.  That's how I could manage to have Leader 1 and Optimus Prime in the same group of toys quite happily.)

So, lately I've been looking on eBay for good deals on new, used, whatever, Transformers, GoBots, no-name transforming toys to clutter my desk with (as if it isn't cluttered enough)...

And what I find makes my head hurt.  A *used* toy, from the mid-80's, selling for over $150.  a version of that same toy, in the box, unopened, for $375.

Think about that.  $375, for something that will never fulfill its intended purpose.  The thing was built to be played with, after all, and no one's going to open a $375 toy, knowing that the second you do, its value drops by 50%.

So, what's my point?

... um... 

Anyone got any old transforming toys lying around they feel like recycling by donating them to a 40-something kid at heart, before I go broke buying the damned things?

3dsmile

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#2 2017-10-09 17:34:22

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

Re: I guess I'm still mostly a kid...

Sorry Eric. I was always more of Fisher-Price Adventure People type of guy. I watched the Transformers Cartoons some but never bought into the toys. And the toys I did have, my mother made me get rid of when we moved from Virginia to Arizona after I finished 8th grade. I cried. She'd cry now if she knew how much those things are worth now. 3dsmile

Have you considered.... The Rubik's Cube?

Or maybe a Fidget Spinner?

Last edited by Jefferson (2017-10-09 17:35:06)

#3 2017-10-09 20:52:48

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I have a fidget spinner.  With lights on it.  Biggest time-suck in the universe.  3dsmile

I loathe Rubik's cubes.  I have never been able to solve more than one side at a time, and I don't need MORE frustration and disappointment in my life.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#4 2017-10-10 01:22:08

Augur
Wasted

A pen and a piece of paper, or a simple notebook to draw doodles. 3dsmile

Last edited by Augur (2017-10-10 01:22:23)

#5 2017-10-10 01:47:23

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Yeah, you've obviously not seen my desk, nor understand how I utilize pen & paper.  Actually writing at my desk is an impossibility.  Even if I could find a spot on my desk to put down a notebook or paper, I would not be able to lean down far enough to actually see what I was writing on it.

When I write using pen/pencil & paper, my nose is approximately 1/2" from the paper.  Setting a notebook to the side and just glancing down and randomly writing on it - as you see people often doing - is not an option.  I would have to clear a spot on my desk (most likely by moving my keyboard), then move my monitors - both of them - out of the way so that there was room for my head to be above the paper.  (My monitors, for the record, are within 6" of my face when in use.)

There are problems with being legally blind.  I think it's one of the reasons my hands like to stay in motion - it keeps me a little more in touch with the world around me, when I really can't see it very well.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#6 2017-10-10 03:58:20

StoryJunkie
Wasted

Not to dispute what you found online, but I just googles used transformer toys for sale and found several on ebay (lots of 4) for under $10 bucks the biggest problem there is the shipping, one seller wanted $4 for a lot of 5 old transformers, but it was $5.99 shipping.....if I do come across any through friends though I will let you know and get them to you as soon as I can.

#7 2017-10-10 05:01:31

Augur
Wasted

Sorry Eric. BTW there is equipment that could help you although it´s a little bulky. I gave my grandfather who on his last years suffered from macular degeneration  a reading magnifier. It certainly helped him a lot. Still, I understand that with your current situation drawing doodles wouldn´t be the best solution for your fidgeting problem. Things like putty balls, or fidgeting devices come to mind, but of course you are the one in the best situation to know what would actually help you, so won´t keep pestering you with ideas. Hope you get your transformer. 3dsmile

P.S. Regarding the reading magnifier I actually chose the Merlin basic and it seemed to work great, plus it gave me the flexibility to get my grandfather a better and larger screen with the magnifier. May be you would also find a similar device useful in some situations.

Last edited by Augur (2017-10-10 05:03:44)

#8 2017-10-10 05:56:12

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I have attempted to use magnifiers of various types through the years.  They tend to induce too much eye strain.  That's why I don't even leave my glasses on to read: it's just too uncomfortable for my eyes.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#9 2017-10-11 05:39:46

Doc Spratley
Inebriated

Have a whole box of them.  Bought them for my kids....but, cannot part with them.  My Grand-kids are hooked on them now.  Will let you know when they finish with them....!!!!

#10 2017-10-11 05:51:39

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

hehehe.  Yeah, that's how it goes.  No worries, I don't want to take anyone's toys (no matter how old the kid is) unless they don't want 'em anymore.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#11 2017-10-12 19:03:21

Blackie
Inebriated

Eric Storm wrote:

I loathe Rubik's cubes.  I have never been able to solve more than one side at a time, and I don't need MORE frustration and disappointment in my life.

Eric Storm

Oh, I empathize with you on that score. Rubik's cubes only manage to annoy me.

I will admit to doing Sudoku for some time now, just before turning off the lights at night. But I do not need my hands to move as you described. They move enough on their own as it is.

-Himself

"Typos are very important to all written form. It gives the reader something to look for so they aren't distracted by the total lack of content in your writing." -Randy K. Milholland

#12 2017-10-12 22:31:31

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I only do Sudoku with hints on.  (Hints being "which numbers are valid in this square?")  Otherwise, it just gives me a headache.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#13 2017-10-13 00:17:01

Blackie
Inebriated

Eric Storm wrote:

I only do Sudoku with hints on.
Eric Storm

The wench grumps at me because I do them in pen.

-Himself

"Typos are very important to all written form. It gives the reader something to look for so they aren't distracted by the total lack of content in your writing." -Randy K. Milholland

Board footer