Inebriated

Re: Possible site administrator outage

glad to hear you are safe i hope u did not get to much damage

#27 2017-09-15 15:18:34

bistander
Wasted

emstorm73 wrote:

Sorry I didn't post something sooner, but I was sleep deprived yesterday, and I've been feeling sick today.

We arrived at Keeshaba's parents' house without incident.

Irma weakened significantly before reaching our area, so the house is likely fine.  Power, however, is out and likely to stay that way for several days.  We will remain here until power is restored and the roads are clear.

Eric Storm

Happy to know you got away and also super glad it weakened. I spent 7 days without power after Ivan, and I'll never do that again. Hope you have an uneventful trip back. Hopefully, all the traffic will be done by then. I've been watching the traffic jams all week on I-10.

#28 2017-09-16 03:17:27

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

My brother (who lives down the street from me) returned home early in the week.  The house suffered minimal damage: a small piece of soffet, previously damaged by the cats, has decided it's tired of being abused and has retired, so will need replacing.  One of the few remaining ugly, skinny trees along the back property line decided to lie down and take a nap... and someone had their shed involuntarily donated to my yard.

That's the sum total of the wind damage from Hurricane Irma.  The rest of her damage to our home was caused by the fact that she knocked out the power.  We had no time to clean the house before we were forced to evacuate, and it was... not clean... when we left (to put it nicely).  So it's been like that in 90-degree weather without power until this afternoon, when power returned to our neighborhood.  What the house is now, my brother says, is very stinky.  Also, our bug problem has blossomed back to a point close to when it was at its worst.  And of course, all of our food in the fridge and freezer has to be thrown away.

What this is forcing us to do is that I am flying back to Florida next Friday, alone.  I will get the house cleaned up, knock back the bug problem again (we have all the necessary tools, sprays, baits, growth regulators), and then come back to TN to accompany Keeshaba and the clan home.  This is a huge added expense, but it has to be done, as my brother says the house is not particularly habitable at the moment.

What all this means is that we will not be back home permanently until right near the end of the month.  I have regained some limited Internet access, and I can resume doing site backups, but I won't be as active on my computer as usual: it's just not that comfortable to sit here typing.

Anyway, that's where we are at the moment.  The only bright side of this entire fiasco so far is that, after 25 years, I get to get back on an airplane.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#29 2017-09-16 17:03:58

bistander
Wasted

That's awesome, as I'm sure you know, despite how it might sound to someone who hasn't lived through a hurricane. A roof costs a lot more than a plane ticket. My hurricane deductible was huge in order to keep the monthly cost down. I hope the bugs don't overtake you and carry you off. FL bugs are some badass bugs. :-)

#30 2017-09-17 08:13:40

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Are you kidding?  A missing roof would have made me money!

Had we lost the roof, the house would have been considered totaled, due to the value of the roof vs. the total value of the house.  I'd have gotten a check from the insurance company for whatever I could weasel out of them (since I doubt they'd give me the entire 'replacement cost', since I have NO intention of rebuilding if the house gets destroyed...)  I was actually praying for the house to get totaled.  (Praying figuratively, since I'm an Agnostic...)

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#31 2017-09-17 16:15:27

bistander
Wasted

Oh, it's like that. I once crashed a car and was hoping for the same thing. Those fuckers did $11,900 worth of repairs and I ended up selling it for a loss because a crashed car is like a cheating wife, I'm never really comfortable riding her again. That was 15 years ago.

Sorry your roof didn't end up in the yard where that shed came from. That's assuming you didn't have a bunch of stuff you didn't want waterlogged. 3dbig_smile3dbig_smile

#32 2017-09-21 16:07:28

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Once again, I will be out of reach of my computer for several days starting tomorrow.  I am going back down to the house to clean it up and get it ready to live in again, before we go down there with the entire menagerie.

I will be gone from tomorrow through... well, just call it till the end of the month.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#33 2017-09-21 18:06:50

StoryJunkie
Wasted

If you happen to check this before you leave, or you don't see it until you get back....be safe down there and take care.

#34 2017-09-26 12:31:09

Augur
Wasted

How has is it been going on Eric? Have you been able to return home?

Addendum:  Sorry for the post, I have been checking from time to time this thread and didn´t see any new posts. Today I posted my question and a few hours later vualá, all these posts appear! 3dsmile   Good luck with the cleanup duty Eric.

Last edited by Augur (2017-09-26 17:33:56)

#35 2017-09-27 06:06:19

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I am currently back in Tennessee.  I have been down to inspect the house, clean it up, and get it ready to be lived in again.  We will be heading back down in a couple days.  Life should be getting back to normal around the beginning of October.

Eric Storm

PS:  I just realized that I actually missed TYPING.  Yikes.

----
Facebook page

#36 2017-10-02 03:58:05

Sdragon
Inebriated
Website

Hey Eric, glad to know things are starting to get back to normal for ya. I am heading back to Chattanooga soon for my little brother's wedding in a few days myself, gonna be a long drive since I live in central Florida. Hope everything works out for ya and so looking forward to seeing where you take your stories.

#37 2017-10-02 04:54:48

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Drive careful.  See ya when you get back.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

Board footer