The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#26 2017-07-15 16:47:23

Wicked Storm
Completely Blotto

Re: Is there any interest in... ?

Pouts, so many stubborn none chatters. CRIES!!!

In the dark your lips taste like sweet nectar, and in the line they tease me endlessly.

#27 2017-07-15 17:52:26

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

It's not the plethora of non-chatters that should dishearten you, WS.  It's the paucity of chatters that should be worrisome.

A hundred people saying no, and a dozen people saying "yes", I'd still do it.  But the truth is that... what, 3, 4 people have said they're interested?  I'm just not sure if that's worth the hassle of setting it up and then remembering to pay attention to it.

Still, I have not made up my mind yet.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#28 2017-07-15 18:53:46

Wicked Storm
Completely Blotto

I understand, I was mostly being cute. I find personally that Discord unless it gets super popular kind of runs itself. All you would have to do once setting it up, is set yourself a schedule time a day to see if people are talking. Because though it is an active chat room, some times depending on the size and of the community on it, it functions like a shorthand version of a message board.

In the past we have talked about how dead the forum is, and it true, though there has been some more life on it recently, its quiet for the most part. The question becomes, if the chatroom/discord, would be more popular with the people who don't visit the message boards at all. I mean our statistics on who reads our stories and how often they download them, do not in any way shape or form reflect the amount of people who are actually on the forums. So I mean, the thing with discord is its pretty easy set up, and if it doesn't work its just as easily deleted. So I think it comes down to whether or not you want to use it. Not whether or not there is an interest in chatting on the forums. But that is really up to you.

I promise you though I would be there, and I would talk to anyone who was there at the same time as me. To shoot the shit, to talk story ideas to just be social. So that is my input.

In the dark your lips taste like sweet nectar, and in the line they tease me endlessly.

#29 2017-07-15 23:12:36

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

The technical side is NOT the issue.  I ran an IRC chat for this site years ago, and that is far more complex than Discord.  It's the TIME involved.  In order for it to be productive and safe, a mod of some kind needs to be there when people are anticipated to be there.  For the moment, that means ME.

I know that the chat COULD basically be ignored unless I wanted to be in there... but I think that would fail rather spectacularly.  When you're dealing with an active user base in the thousands, you could expect five or ten people to drop in to chat at any one time.  The Pub has an active user base measured in the dozens.  (By active, I mean people who do more than read a story and leave.)  With a user base that small, if you just let people drop in whenever, they're 9 times out of 10 not going to find anyone else there.  On the other hand, if you schedule a "chat session" that runs, let's say, from 6-10pm ET (that's just a figure for the sake of argument, not some kind of announcement!), then you'll find that people will show up then, because that's when they can expect OTHER people to show up, as well.  There is nothing more disheartening than being the only visitor in an otherwise empty chat room.

This is why the lack of response here is disheartening.  Of our active users - those who are likely to take the time and effort to make further contact with others here - almost none of them have said they're interested.  Now, I freely admit that it's possible that there are users who don't spend any time on the forums, but who, if they see an announcement about a chat room, will say, "Oh, hey, there's a chat!" and jump right into that.  I can't measure that element, obviously.

I haven't made a decision one way or the other.  I'm not even leaning one way or the other at the moment.  But I am a bit disheartened by the lack of a positive response.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#30 2017-07-16 01:34:06

Wicked Storm
Completely Blotto

I completely understand. It would be nice to see more people interested. I don't think we will see to many others in this thread say otherwise, as this is a good chunk of the people who post here regularly. LOL. I just know I would spend more time on the site if there was some place to talk to people who are active on the site, without waiting ten hours for them to respond haha. ^_^

#31 2017-08-05 23:22:51

Reizo
Tipsy

I would visit a chat room like discord more often then i do the forum. I have a few discord servers i'm a part of and i get notifications for the one that i am interested in. So, big thumbs up for me.
I am online most of the time, considering I have nothing else to do all day than look at my screen, play games and refresh the pub page to see if any new stories came out.
So a chat would be awesome.

Last edited by Reizo (2017-08-05 23:23:03)

#32 2017-08-22 20:48:05

SlaveMaster
Wasted

I would visit the chats from time to time, but not like I was 12ish years ago when I started reading camp from the old site.

Welcome to The Mystic Wolf Pub

#33 2021-05-27 12:56:31

Asere
Banned

[:::SPAM content removed by Administrator :::]

#34 2021-05-27 19:31:58

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

So you not only post spam, but broken spam?  Moron.

Your account has been flagged.  Any further incidents like this one will result in a ban.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#35 2021-05-28 04:19:16

Asere
Banned

[::: Administrator removed broken spam link :::]

#36 2021-05-28 08:32:56

temporal_aberation
Inebriated

I like how they apparently made an account five years ago, posted nothing in all that time, and then randomly decided to post a single (apparently broken) spam link in a random thread five years later. That's playing the long game.

#37 2021-05-28 11:01:24

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

And then did it again, after being warned.

Oh, well.  Their sorry ass has been banned, now.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

Board footer