The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-04 14:32:19

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

New story Pirate discovered

I'm reposting aroslav's SOL blog on this one verbatium

"I saw BarBar's post today about 'author' Veronica West having released some of his stories on Amazon. I'm afraid he isn't the only victim of this fraud's piracy. I scanned through the eleven pages of Veronica's books on Amazon, most of which were posted in June. Several SOL authors' works were identifiable, including bluedragon (An Ordinary Teenage Life-note how cleverly she omitted 'sex' from the title), Cold Creek (Dman), Dark Pen (Avatar), Allen Wilson (35), and several 'Naked in School' stories that I couldn't identify the author of. Of course, I've identified two of my stories as well.

I suggest all SOL authors take a look at her Amazon listings at https://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr … 1499175022 to identify your stolen work. In the past, Amazon has been responsive to removing pirated work when contacted, but they have no means to police and identify such work themselves. It's all up to us.

To make it more complicated, you can only contact Amazon about your own stories. You can't get them to take down mine. At the same time, reviewers declaring the works pirated are always welcome.

What gets me about this one is that she has taken old material which was obviously in someone's collection. I posted "A Painful Silence" here on SOL in November 2012, but was displeased with the story and the writing. I took it down a year later. Yet that is the story she has posted. She also grabbed "Art School", the second story I posted on SOL back in January of 2012 and recently retitled "Welded Together" to make it distinct from the Strange Art stories. One of my least successful stories.

You should note that this pirate has all new covers, blurbs taken from the most unlikely places in the stories, and has often modified the title slightly (may have changed some altogether). You may have to open previews in order to identify stories by character and internal content.

Bugger the bitch!"

i have checked and i'm only to page 5 and this is insane
the stories stolen were BLATANT names are the same and some have even won awards

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#2 2017-07-05 19:54:50

Wicked Storm
Completely Blotto

Re: New story Pirate discovered

Wow, just wow, i have been watching but i doubt mine have been stolen mostly cause there is only 1 finished one but it sad that people take others people works and do this.

In the dark your lips taste like sweet nectar, and in the line they tease me endlessly.

#3 2017-07-07 01:19:10

Centaur
Inebriated

crap like this, is what makes me wonder if i want to write again. whats worse is that only some will be taken down and other will stay up as the authors are gone in one form or another and they will continue to make 2.99

#4 2017-07-07 02:19:56

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Yeah, you'd think that Amazon would have a policy of, "If we have to remove X number of books from your listing because they've proven not to belong to you, we are closing your account altogether."

I guess that would be a bit too common-sense for them.

3droll

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#5 2017-07-07 07:27:10

Wicked Storm
Completely Blotto

Right. LOL. So many loopie holes haha

In the dark your lips taste like sweet nectar, and in the line they tease me endlessly.

#6 2017-07-08 02:42:01

Centaur
Inebriated

Maybe they do. books are all gone.

Board footer