The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#176 2012-05-09 18:45:56

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: Woodward Academy, Year 1, The

Haven doesn't "look like" either of them.  Haven looks like Haven, which is mostly empty space.  However, where the barrier between Haven and the other worlds is thin, the ghosts see that other world, and can interact with it to some greater or lesser extent, depending on how thin the barrier is at a particular location, and the ghost in question.  Haven is much larger than either Earth or Dugerra, and overlaps both of them.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#177 2012-05-09 19:12:43

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

I'll let Eric answer the question but I think I can give a pretty good answer. While mankind has done very little that could change the shape of the various continents, mankind has done A LOT to change the look of the landscape clear around the world. We put up dams to slow, speed up or even change the route of a river. We put down roads, highways, houses and buildings that hide huge tracts of land. We plow under fields to grow crops, blow up or strip mine mountains and hills to get to the natural wonders beneath (gold, gems, Oil etc...) We, the human race, have made major changes to the look of the planet. On a grand scale, from space, it all looks pretty much the same as it did a thousand or a million years ago, with just a few more lights, but when you get up close, it looks very different.

These are things we have done with explosives and tools and mining equipment. Now, thanks to Eric, we get to see how the wizards of Haven have changed the look of their little piece of the world. They may not use explosives and tools and mining equipment. They use magic so their world would, logically, take on a different look than our own.

Just a thought.

Sorry. Didn't Notice that there was another page, or that Eric had already answered.

Last edited by Jefferson (2012-05-09 19:40:48)

#178 2012-05-09 20:29:00

tomiesz
Tipsy

Thanks for sorting it out for me, Eric. I was kind of confused.
And Jefferson I think you mean Dugerra. Thanks anyway both of you.

In every one's life comes a moment, when you need to decide what you are going to do in your life. Then you should ask yourself one, really important question: ''What makes me happy?'' and start doing whatever it is. It's that easy, and as that hard.

#179 2012-05-10 06:21:49

Kitsune
Inebriated

Absolutely love this series can't wait for the last chapter to go public so i can finish of year one and then begin the wait to be able to read year two

#180 2012-05-15 06:05:14

Black Rose
Evil Bar Wench

Or, donate a meager $6 and you can read it all now!

Black Rose

"Being a writer is a very peculiar sort of a job: it's always you versus a blank sheet of paper (or a blank screen) and quite often the blank piece of paper wins." – Neil Gaiman

#181 2012-06-02 21:50:39

grandad_rufus
Inebriated

Eric - I am SO enjoying this. Well done

(posted from Chapter 12: May)

If they give you ruled paper, write the other way.
Grandad Rufus.

It's not that I have a dirty mind, you understand. It's just that so many of my thoughts leave muddy little footprints...

#182 2012-06-03 03:09:02

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Glad you enjoyed it.  I hope Book 2 continues your pleasure.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#183 2012-09-10 02:53:13

Wicked Storm
Completely Blotto

Hey Eric finished this one yesterday, and I have to say I enjoyed it. I like the style of how you wrote this one. Very enjoyable. I loved all of the little hat tips you did. But I was so immersed in reading it that I stopped looking for them and just enjoyed the story itself. Thank you again for your wonderful writing. It motivates and inspires me to work on my own.

In the dark your lips taste like sweet nectar, and in the line they tease me endlessly.

#184 2012-09-10 05:13:47

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Anything that motivates someone else to write, is good.  As to the little references... eh, they're more fun if you *don't* look for them, and just get surprised when you do happen to notice one.  There are so many in this set of stories...  3dsmile

Thanks for the feedback,
Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#185 2012-09-10 16:19:38

Wicked Storm
Completely Blotto

I was glad that I stopped looking for them. I haven't enjoyed a story this much for the story itself in a long time. I am trying to convince my girlfriend to give me 6 dollars to donate. HAHA. I want to read more of your work, just limited by lack of funds.

In the dark your lips taste like sweet nectar, and in the line they tease me endlessly.

#186 2012-09-10 16:52:50

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

hehehe.  Well, tell her to read them, then maybe she'll want an account, and you can mooch off hers!  3dbig_smile

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#187 2012-09-10 20:09:20

Wicked Storm
Completely Blotto

True dat, True dat. I think I have her convinced just have to let her mull it over.

#188 2012-10-04 16:45:32

SlaveMaster
Wasted

Finally got around to reading this novel, and I must say great as usual. A must re-read, one thing I find is that when I'm right into it I tend to miss the little jokes that reference other stuff.  Only question I can think to ask... When David went to get his wand and there was a reference to a pitch fork as a wand was that a reference to the painting american gothic?

(posted from the Item Information Page)

Welcome to The Mystic Wolf Pub

#189 2017-06-06 22:54:33

shrotycg
Tipsy

I just want to let you know that I really enjoy this series. I have just read the this book again for the second time. It was just as enjoyable as the first time I read it.

There is one part of the story that feels off. It is after David's sexual encounter with Sarah. He seems upset with her for just wanting causal sex.

The reason this feels off is that the same thing happens to David with three other women in the story and he does not get upset at it.

First there is Olivia who explains that she just got out of a serious relationship and does not want to start a serious relationship with David just after they have sex. David is not upset by this.

Then there is Bonnie at the inn after Sarah. They have sex in her room but on the floor. Afterwards David asks about why they did not use the bed and Bonnie says that the sex in the bed is reserved for someone who is boyfriend material. Obviously she does not consider David to be such. Again David is not upset by this.

Finally there is Sam the potions master. She has sex with David but then tells him that she is not interested in a traditional relationship with him. More of a non-exclusive friends with benefits. Again David is not upset by this.

This is the reason it feels off to me. With three other women he is ok with it. But with Sarah he is not. Later her attitude at the second centaur games Sarah seems to justify his feeling but this is after he starts to feel this way. But right after the encounter David feeling upset about her wanting casual sex is not in keeping with his character.

I just want finish with the fact that I really enjoy your stories and hope you do not feel that this is a criticism of your work. As I said this one part of the story has always felt off or maybe I should say that it feels unfinished.

#190 2017-06-07 03:15:06

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Thank you for your feedback.

As to Sarah vs. the others, the difference lies in the lead up to each encounter.

Consider:
Olissa: surprised him with sex without any warning.
Bonnie: surprised him with sex without any warning.
Sam: surprised him with sex without any warning.
Sarah:  Took him on what was, for all intents and purposes, a date, which then progressed to sex.

In the other cases, David was not allowed to anticipate how the situation might go, and so had no chance to "get his hopes up".  Sarah's behavior throughout their outing led him to believe she liked him, and that they might be going somewhere.  He had the opportunity to anticipate the possibility of sex, and when that turned out to be correct, he then had an expectation that things would go further.  When this hope was dashed, it caused more disappointment than the other encounters, simply because his emotions had further to fall.

There is also the fact that, on further consideration, David feels as though she did what she did only because she'd been told to, rather than because she actually liked him.  In the other cases, this was obviously not true.  So he had multiple reasons for feeling upset with her, and they kind of fed on each other.

I hope that this helps explain this for you.  If not... um... *shrugs*  Not much I can do at this point.
3dsmile

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#191 2018-07-09 19:31:55

thebookster
Tipsy

I love this story! In fact, I have read almost all 7 books multiple times! Hence, my question:
When David is taking his revenge on his classmates, he uses the fact that animals freak out around him. This doesn't ever seem to come up for the rest of the series, though. Did I miss something or does he just not interact with normal animals at all?

#192 2018-07-09 22:08:20

thebookster
Tipsy

Also, why is David surprised by the fairies taking food orders? Who served food when he ate lunch with Dean Lengel during his "orientation"?

#193 2018-07-10 00:12:28

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

As to the animals, I think it would be safe to say that Dugerran animals are a bit more used to ghosts/demighosts than Earth animals.  And David doesn't spend that much time in Earth.

As to the pixies serving food... well, you can count this as author error, but a plausible explanation is simply that there was so much weirdness going on for David at the time of his orientation that nothing really sank in.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#194 2018-07-10 03:06:26

thebookster
Tipsy

Thanks!
Also, sorry if you've answered this already (and this is probably the wrong place to ask), but I haven't read the last few chapters of book 7 yet, and I was wondering (HOPING) if this series will continue? It is genuinely my favorite series and I just dont want it to end!

#195 2018-07-10 03:52:32

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

The series ends with book 8, which I plan to start writing soon.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#196 2018-07-11 02:14:38

thebookster
Tipsy

Awesome! Can't wait!

You may see me pop up in each of the books' threads since I'm rereading the series now. Talk to you soon!

-thebookster

#197 2018-08-10 13:38:45

Soulless0311
Tipsy

I love this series. I have read everything that has been posted so far and I'mlooking forward to the rest of the series. Now I am about to start to read it a second time.

#198 2018-08-10 20:59:40

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Don't wear yourself out on it, now.  You'll get sick of it before I manage to finish book 8...

3dsmile

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#199 2018-08-10 22:55:43

Josh.Bond
Inebriated

Eric Storm wrote:

Don't wear yourself out on it, now.  You'll get sick of it before I manage to finish book 8...

Having read the entire series at least 4 times I doubt I will get tired of it.

#200 2018-08-11 03:19:09

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

Eric Storm wrote:

3dsmile

Eric Storm

Not possible.

Board footer