The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-02 05:08:03

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

A question to the hackers

I don't know if whoever has been attacking this site actually reads anything that's here or not, but on the off chance that they do:

Why are you trying to shut this site down?  If you don't like the site, just don't come here!

At this point, you're making the site unusable for most people.  It will reach a point where people will simply stop visiting.  At that point, I won't waste the money to keep it running.

Maybe that's what you want.  Maybe you want this site to go away.  I have no idea why you'd care.  No one's making you come here, and it's not like I go posting ads for this site all over the place... or indeed anywhere...

What I do know... and maybe you don't... is how much harm you're causing.  When people don't visit this site, they also don't make donations to this site.  Now, I can't be certain (because I don't have good stats), but I'm pretty sure that the precipitous drop in donations this last month was due in large part to people staying away because of the difficulty in actually getting into the website.

Keeshaba and I depend on those donations.  If I have to close this site, that is a lot of monetary help that we will have permanently lost.

Maybe that's okay with you.  Maybe you have absolutely no qualms about causing people pain and suffering.  Maybe you really do have no conscience, or you're immature enough to not even bother considering the consequences of your actions.

Or maybe you just needed someone to remind you that there are actual people on the other side of that screen you're staring at.

Please, just go away and leave us alone.

Regards,
Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#2 2016-12-02 06:30:11

thehilz
Completely Blotto

Re: A question to the hackers

I for one won't be going anywhere and once I'm back to work will be able to donate again. Hope things go better this month. Happy holidays

#3 2016-12-03 21:45:05

Josh.Bond
Inebriated

From my sons Facebook

I don't know who you are, I don't know why you thought trying to log into my facebook was a good idea, I don't know why you thought I wouldn't notice. I may not know your physical location but you certainly left your digital address. Word of advice, do not setup remote access for your router and leave your security settings as the default. Enjoy not having internet access, I will be watching.

Wired ports disabled, SSID: 'StayTheFuckkOffMyFB'
Wireless password was random generated, didn't bother to write it down.
Router login and password are also randomly generated and not written down.

#4 2016-12-03 23:28:28

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

The only thing is, for most routers, there is a way to reset them to factory settings, usually a physical reset button.

And I unfortunately didn't have this option to begin with, since GD keeps crappy records.

But then, it turns out that the problem wasn't a hacker to begin with, despite that being what I was told the first time.  It was GD's very old and crappy server.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#5 2016-12-05 01:09:39

zipybug14
Inebriated

I was doing some research, and found a hosting company called NearlyFreeSpeach.NET; they might be worth looking into, for either the current pub, or pub 2.0

Regards zipybug14

#6 2016-12-05 06:33:31

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Yeah, I appreciate the thought, but I could never handle a hosting provider where the charge would change every month.  And a malicious hacker could end up costing me an arm and a leg.

The truth is that I'll be sticking with GoDaddy, upgrading to their newer server, which has a newer PHP version (instead of the completely unsupported version this server uses...), and hoping that it fixes my problems.

Thanks, anyway,
Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

Board footer