The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-08 06:32:41

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Request for Comments

Okay, in the continuing preparation for Pub version 2.0...

I have come to the decision to ditch PunBB for version 2.0 of The Pub, and craft my own custom messageboard.  The reason for this is full and complete integration with the rest of the website, which version 1.3 of PunBB has made amazingly difficult.  (To the tune of spending entire DAYS just trying to get a login script to work.)

This decision has been made, so I'm not looking for comments about "Don't ditch PunBB!" or "You can use X forum instead!"

What I am interested in is what you really want in a messageboard.  Feel free to be outlandish, if you like... just know that the harder a feature is to implement, the less likely you are to see it.  3dsmile

For the record, yes, all previous messages will be carried over.  This is the first key design concept I have already stipulated for the new messageboard.

Other things I am considering:
- Polls that can be created by contributors
- Private messaging system
- Contributor blogs
- Customizable RSS feeds for site/author/artist update information

Is there anything else you'd like to see?  My starting point will be to keep as much of the functionality of PunBB as possible, and then to add in whatever else I decide is worth the time.

Oh, and another note:  Don't expect to see version 2.0 of The Pub anytime soon.  While I am working on it, I'm not doing so with any fervor.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#2 2011-09-09 05:00:30

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

Re: Request for Comments

My only requirements for a forum is a good interface, I think the basic structure has been well established so as long as you follow those basics there should not be a problem for me.  Only other thing that I don't like about PunBB over the forum you used to use at the old site is I don't care much for how it handles marking items as read or not.  I guess I'm spoiled by email where as soon as I read an item it is marked as read and will remain marked unread until I actually do so or mark it as such manually aka "Mark all as read" or put a check mark on the item if I want to be selective..

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#3 2011-09-09 06:21:19

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I'll keep that in mind as I design the forum.  I can think of one way to implement it.  I don't know if there's a more efficient way, so I'll have to look around to see if there is.

As to the "look and feel" of the forum... well, you've seen my implementation of the basics of a forum in this version of the site when you look at the threads that appear in author sections.  I don't intend to deviate greatly from that look (except, obviously, the forum pages would be full-width instead of a smaller column...)

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#4 2011-09-09 20:50:29

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I've already added this to the initial post, but for those who have already read that:

I am also planning to add into the forum a blogging system for the authors/artists.  This will take the form of special forums, where only the specific author/artist can create a thread, but anyone can then reply to it.  Personally, I will use this blog for things like my writing status updates.  Other authors/artists can use it for whatever they like (or not use it at all: that is their choice to make.)

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#5 2011-09-23 05:24:38

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

A new additional planned service (already added to the initial message):

A customizable RSS feed, to let you know about site, author, and artist updates.  It will be customizable so that you only see the updates that you are interested in.  This will replace email updates, which have been problematic, and have been suspended for months now.

Eric Storm

PS: Message reply notifications will (probably) still be handled via email.

----
Facebook page

Board footer