The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-07 19:52:26

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

This really isn't funny.

This was listed as a joke on another website I visit... but the fact is, this is true, and it isn't funny.

SCHOOL -- 1957 vs. 2010

Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fistfight after school.

1957 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.

2010 - Police called, arrests Johnny and Mark. Charge them with assault, both expelled even though Johnny started it. Both children go to anger management programs for 3 months. School board hold meeting to implement bullying prevention programs

Scenario: Robbie won't be still in class, disrupts other students.

1957 - Robbie sent to office and given 6 whacks by the Principal. Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

2010 - Robbie given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADD. Robbie's parents get disability payments and School gets extra funding from state because Robbie has a disability.

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

1957 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.

2010 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster care and joins a gang. State psychologist tells Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison.

Scenario: Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.

1957 - Mark gets glass of water from Principal to take aspirin with.

2010 - Police called, Mark expelled from school for drug violations. Car searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from 4th of July, puts them in a model airplane, blows it up.

1957 - Plane blown to little plastic bits.

2010- State Police, Federal Police & Anti-terrorism Squad called. Johnny charged with domestic terrorism, Feds investigate parents, siblings removed from home, computers confiscated. Johnny's Dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario: Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.

1957 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.

2010 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.

Admittedly, these may be slight exaggerations, but the problem is, they ARE only SLIGHT exaggerations.  So, what the hell happened?

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#2 2011-09-08 10:46:12

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

Re: This really isn't funny.

1) We have become a culture where our boys have been feminized; raised by single mothers who, granted, may have done their best but they still were NOT fathers. Chivalry, while maybe not dead, is certainly in severe decline. Ask a teenaged boy if he's a gentleman and he'll say yes because he thinks all the word means is that he is male. The ancient and expected gender roles, those concepts of the differences between men and women have been so pounded on over the last 40 or so years, that there is practically no difference nowadays between what is expected of men and women or what is their proper place in society. This isn't the right message we want our children to get.

2) The sexual revolution happened and - I honestly think we all lost.  Women in the sixties decided being a wife, homemaker and mother was not an important enough job. So none of them did it anymore. Because of this, everyone nowadays has two income households and we've all gotten used to living at that standard. Because Mom and Dad are always at work, they're never at home to spend time with their children so we have generation after generation of "latch key kids" who do as they please and usually, eventually end up in trouble - drugs, drinking, pregnancy, gangs, running away, ditching and/or flunking school - and then Mom and Dad feel so guilty that they're never home, they ease their guilt  and spoil the kids but not with love, affection and attention though, instead they buy them video game systems, flat screen TV's, the latest and greatest in computers and eventually a brand new car for the kid to wrap around a tree. And, because they feel guilty, Mom and Dad stop setting boundaries for kids. They don't make them do homework, do chores around the house, get an after school job or even take care of the stuff the parents are buying them.

3) We have also become a much more litigious (We sue a lot) society. It's become where if someone wrongs you in any way, shape or form, whether by accident, on purpose or even just because it happened on their property, we go to court. We even sue our neighbors, friends and family members. It's gotten so ridiculous that Judge Wapner has become a cultural icon. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, we now put trailer park trash suing each other on TV and apparently it's very popular because they keep making more of them.

4) We have doctors, who are so worried about being  sued for malpractice, that they don't even bother to check a kid anymore. They just listen to what Mom/Dad/Grandma or the teacher says and say, "Okay, that's what wrong." We have drug companies who are making medicines for anything and everything they can dream up. If it's a problem, they've got a medicine for that -  whether it's hair loss, a soft cock, a wild child or nail fungus. Since the drugs are available, the doctors prescribe and Make Mom's life a little easier.

5) We also have a government that is so big, and so invasive, that they are now legislating parenting. We aren't allowed to spank a child anymore and hitting them with a switch is, without a doubt, abuse. We're being flooded with information about what is good and what is bad for us and for our kids, even though, they usually reverse themselves a few years later. They've forced McDonald's to change the kids meal. They're doing a complete make over of school lunches. The old standard light bulb is going the way of the dodo bird, who cares that these new light bulbs are poisonous, they contain mercury. We just got lead out of the paint and asbestos out of our HVAC and now the Chinese are putting mercury in our light bulbs. Wonderful!

6) I won't get into the problems with the public schools. They are huge and there are many. The biggest of which, for this particular discussion is that parents think of school as as baby sitter instead of an education. Then there are the teachers unions, which started off all noble and great but is no longer worried about education children, the teachers unions are now only interested in making money and getting power and who gives a damn what happens to those bratty kids.

We are a society who has forgotten how to parent and because of that we seem to be surrendering that job to the government.

#3 2011-09-08 18:32:58

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Well, you missed the mark on a couple of points, there, Jefferson:

I won't even discuss your issues about gender roles, since I felt that this was an extremely backward point of view.  "Chivalry" is not necessary, only mutual respect between the genders.  (Hear that feminists?  If you want respect from us, you actually have to give respect in return!)

Next, the change in female employment was not in the '60's, and it wasn't because of the sexual revolution.  It happened in the 1940's, and it was because of World War II.  There were so many men gone that the women were needed to keep the factories and such running.  Problem was, when the men came back, the women had gotten used to working, and had enjoyed the "freedom" it presented them.  I believe it was actually this that led to the sexual revolution, and not the other way around.

Third, the Chinese are putting mercury in our light bulbs?  Really, Jeff?  You're going to blame this on the Chinese?

Little tip:  ALL Fluorescent bulbs contain mercury, because they will not work without it.  It is a necessary, functional part of the bulb, and always has been.

C'mon.  There's plenty to complain about from China.  We don't need to make stuff up.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#4 2011-09-08 21:19:23

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

Congress has said that the old time Thomas Edison Created bulbs won't be manufactured or sold in the United States. I think the ban goes into place at the beginning or end of 2012.

The CFL bulbs, the cute little curly bulbs, which by the way, are ALL made in China, says right on the packaging, that the bulb contains mercury and gives instructions, that should the bulb get broken, you should open all the doors and windows and evacuate the area for 10-15 minutes. I don't have to make this up, we have the packaging here at the house. We have CFL's installed all over the house.

You say mercury has always been in light bulbs. I never saw that warning on the old fluorescent bulbs created by Thomas Edison.

Last edited by Jefferson (2011-09-08 21:20:14)

#5 2011-09-08 21:50:08

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Um, that's because:

1. The "Thomas Edison" bulbs of which you speak are not fluorescent bulbs.  They are incandescent bulbs.  The fluorescent bulb was created elsewhere. (Not that Edison invented the incandescent light bulb, either, despite getting credit for it.)

2. They didn't feel the need to make the warning so loud when fluorescents were primarily an industrial lighting scenario.

Jefferson wrote:

You say mercury has always been in light bulbs.

No, I said mercury has always been in fluorescent bulbs.  Please don't misquote me.

Mercury is REQUIRED for a fluorescent bulb to work.  It is actually the mechanism by which the bulb functions.  Here's the Wikipedia article, and the very first paragraph explains why ALL fluorescent bulbs contain mercury: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescent_bulb

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#6 2011-09-08 22:17:06

LAoW
Completely Blotto

Hey Jefferson... when you were little and needed your temperature taken, what kind of thermometer did you use? Most likely a glass one, with *gasp* mercury in it? I still have one and it's a damn sight more reliable than the ones running on battery.

I can't bring myself to comment on this anymore. Have a good day! 3dsmile

I don't have to worry about revenge because Karma is a bigger bitch than I will ever have to be.

Board footer