The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-01 05:18:05

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

State of the Website, 2010/2011

Here we stand, at the beginning of a new year.  Once again, it is time to look back at what has been, and forward to what might be.

Looking Back:

First, the website:
If possible, 2010 was even less eventful than 2009 was.  We now have 4,272 registered members.  This is an increase over last year of 2.5 people a day.  On the other hand, we haven't gained a single new author, except in the Prospective Authors section.  In fact, the site has shrunk in the last year.  We have lost one author, closed the chat room, and removed several minor items from the site.  I can only hope that this trend does not continue through 2011.

My writing:
While the site was busy stagnating, my writing certainly was not.  Unlike 2009, 2010 saw my writing goal surpassed... and then surpassed again, when I set a new goal.  Ultimately, I wrote just over 175,000 words this last year.  I can only hope that I will at least match that in 2011.

My Personal Life:
Things are still a struggle for LAoW and I.  With only one income, and a limited one at that, it has been very difficult to pay the bills at times.  I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone who made a donation.  Your contributions were very greatly appreciated.  I would ask that, if possible, you continue your support, as our problems have not gone away.

Looking Forward:

The website:
There are some major changes coming to the site this upcoming year.  First and foremost, in response to the poll taken a couple months back, I will soon be opening this site to any author who wishes to post here, and who has not been disqualified already.  (There are some authors with whom I have a personal animosity.  They are disqualified from posting here, as I will not spend my efforts supporting them.)  New instructions / rules will be posted for contributors in the next few weeks.  This will not change the activity requirement for authors:  All authors here still need to be ACTIVE members of the community.  As overwhelmingly requested by the poll, new authors will be able to be "voted off" if they are deemed by the readers to not be worth reading.

Further, as soon as I can manage it, I will be replacing the menu on the main site with a Javascript-based menu that will (hopefully) be less glitchy and faster.  I will also be rearranging a few items on the menu, in an effort to make it more user-friendly.  We'll see how that goes.  As always, if you have elected to not use Javascript on the site, you will remain with the older menu.

And, one of these days, I'm still going to rework the Recipe book.  I promise!  3dbig_smile

My Writing:
It is my sincere hope that I will continue to write as actively as I did this previous year.  I completed two serials last year.  I hope to complete at least one more this year... perhaps two.

Further, today marks the beginning of a new project for me.  Those of you with PRM access will see a new story available, called "The Woodward Academy, Year 1".  This is to be a multi-year, multi-book project.  I am going to strive for a one-chapter-a-month release schedule.  (Muse revolts and real life notwithstanding.)  As the title suggests, each book will follow a year of the main character's life.  Those of you without PRM access will have to wait to read this until it goes public.  (No, I'm not going to tell you when that will happen.  Don't ask.)

My Personal Life:
What happens here is always up in the air.  I am attempting to make a few changes to improve my health, so we'll see how that goes.  Mostly, this upcoming year... or at least the first few months of it, are filled with anxiety about finances.  I hate to harp on this, but it is my biggest stressor, and since some of you can help with it...

We are still in need of about $300 to cover our Homeowner's Insurance and Flood Insurance at the end of February.  This is in addition to our monthly donations, which we really need to be at $200 / month in order to be "safe".  Please, if there is any way you can make a donation to help out, please do so.  $6, $10, $12 donations are useful!  They all add up.  ($300 donations are useful, too, but I don't expect any of those.  3dbig_smile )  I am doing everything I can personally do to make extra money directly, but it simply isn't enough.  We need your help.

In closing, I can only say Thank You to all of you who have visited, contributed, donated, and participated in The Pub over the past year.  Here is hoping that 2011 will be a better year!

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

Board footer