Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-25 06:55:03

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

thought the writers might enjoy this

http://iwl.me/b/cfe99843

you upload a writing sample and it analises it and tells you who you write like

i uploaded a page from a story i'm writing ad got told i write like dan brown...not sure how to take that

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#2 2010-08-25 08:30:05

Veritas
Wasted
Website

Re: thought the writers might enjoy this

Apparently, I write like Edgar Allen Poe.

#3 2010-08-25 21:08:23

LAoW
Completely Blotto

I'm getting back James Joyce, H.P. Lovecraft, and Oscar Wilde. Of course, it depends on what I paste into the box, but uhhh...really?

Eric's made me lawl. He writes (or did) like Rowling. He put in the first few chapters of CAMP and got that back.

I don't have to worry about revenge because Karma is a bigger bitch than I will ever have to be.

#4 2010-08-26 04:20:12

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

With a piece from an unfinished story, I come up with Mario Puzo... the Godfather guy.

And with a piece from chapter 2 of Roadtrip, It says I write like William Gibson.

Last edited by Jefferson (2010-08-26 04:20:40)

#5 2010-08-26 06:21:48

lordalpha
Wasted

The idea of a Neuromancer style version of Roadtrip is......rather fun actually!

#6 2010-08-26 12:29:17

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

Three of my stories got Niel Gaiman, Isaac Asimov and Mark Twain.

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#7 2010-08-26 19:21:51

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

While I am under no illusion that this thing is implying that I/we are "as good as" the writers it says we write like, what I find somewhat distressing is how much my writing style apparently bounces around.  I would expect a little variation, and different books certainly could be written in different styles...

But I put each chapter of Dragonseekers through this little tool, and for 20 chapters, I got 14 different names!  And no two consecutive chapters were the same name.  :-S

Now, I know, or think I know, roughly how this tool works.  It uses word choice, sentence length, paragraph length, and other such statistics, and compares yours to those of the famous authors used...  So I don't see why my writing should bounce so much.

Now, some stories are remarkably consistent.  CAMP: Ron's Journey is a J.K. Rowling-style book, with only 5 out of 35 chapters giving a different name.  Warmth of a Touch was mostly James Joyce... though somehow Bill Shakespeare got thrown in there once... 3dyikes  PAO was 50% Vladimir Nabokov, and Illicit Reunions was 5/8 Jane Austen.  My other stories, though, are all over the place.

Like I said, who it says I write like is amusing, but irrelevant to me (though if it's right about CRJ, it would explain a lot about its popularity)... but I wonder why I don't get more consistent results.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#8 2010-10-16 13:18:56

James Marcus
Wasted

Margret Wood when my fathless story was analised, and Dan Brown with To whom it May Concern. Have no clue who either one was.

#9 2010-10-16 15:34:12

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

telgar wrote:

Margret Wood when my fathless story was analised, and Dan Brown with To whom it May Concern. Have no clue who either one was.

Not sure about Margret Wood but Dan Brown wrote "The Da Vinci Code" didn't he?

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#10 2010-10-16 19:41:34

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Among other things.

Amazon's Dan Brown page

For the other one, since I can find no author named "Margret Wood", I am going to assume they're talking about Margaret Atwood.  I have noticed spelling errors in this little tool  ("Annie" Rice?  C'mon...)

Amazon's Margaret Atwood page

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#11 2010-10-17 15:26:22

nightsecho
Wasted

well i tried it with a few of my stories and got a bunch of different answers

I write like
Stephen King
I write like
Annie Rice
I write like
Stephenie Meyer
I write like
Cory Doctorow
I write like
Gertrude Stein

looking at you with wide eyes from the darkness

#12 2010-10-26 05:54:01

Nadez
Wasted
Website

This is actually a totally brilliant tool >> now if I only had more stuff to put into it, the most ive written is ten chapters and im so unhappy with the work I cant actually put it anywhere

#13 2010-10-30 06:52:58

WarLord
Wasted
Website

Fun to play with. 

I used opening chapters from stuff on the net and snippets in my dead files.  I got several random hits but Chuck Palahniuk and David Foster Wallace came back on a couple each: Palahniuk wrote 'Fight Club' while Wallace wrote 'Infinite Jest' genre "Post Modern Hysterical Realism" so I guess that fits. Otherwise I tagged Asimov, Fleming, Rowling, Le Guin, Twain and King...

Now if was only true of course

"A scrupulous writer, in every sentence that he writes, will ask himself at least four questions, thus: 1. What am I trying to say? 2. What words will express it? 3. What image or idiom will make it clearer? 4. Is this image fresh enough to have an effect?" - George Orwell, Politics and the English Language, 1946

Board footer