Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-12 23:23:43

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

Don't Ask, Don't Tell At West Point.

From Newsmax.com
http://www.newsmax.com/US/US-West-Point … /id/367367

A lesbian cadet has asked to resign from the U.S. Military Academy saying she can no longer lie about her sexuality and was troubled by the anti-gay attitudes of some around her.

Katherine Miller also wants to fight for repeal of the "don't ask, don't tell" law, a subject she was studying and writing about as a sociology major at West Point.

Ranked ninth in the class of more than 1,100 cadets about to start their third year, Miller filed her resignation letter Monday. That was a week before she would be required to sign a commitment to finish her final two years and serve five years in the military.

West Point officials said Thursday her request is being reviewed.

Miller, who's from Findlay, Ohio, has been admitted to Yale University, starting in September.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know about this. I think if I was West Point, I would put it in the application to JOIN the school, that if you are gay or lesbian and choose to come out of the closet DURING Your time at West Point and fail to serve your time in the military that you will

A) Be made to repay the taxpayers money spent on your education thus far... so she would be paying for those three years of school. From the way this reads, she KNEW exactly when she would "Come out" and leave the school. TWO WEEKS before she would have been forced to sign a commitment to the military. And she's studying sociology and has been working on Gays in the military all three years. This was all a big PROJECT for her. It's bullshit! She NEVER intended to serve.

or

B) be brought up on fraud charges. It's illegal for them to ask and they can't force you to tell but if you do at West Point, you should be brought up on fraud and/or theft charges for stealing time, money and resources from the American taxpayer and the West Point Military academy. They could have had a student in there who WANTED to serve. Not one just in to Write a paper!!!!!!

Last edited by Jefferson (2010-08-12 23:24:05)

#2 2010-08-13 02:50:27

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

Re: Don't Ask, Don't Tell At West Point.

Could it not be?:

C)  Thought she could handle it knowing the attitudes of the US military however hearing homophobic remarks day after day decided that no she could not hack it and decided to get out before she was stuck with an even worse situation of getting outed as a fully commissioned officer?  West Point must have a reason for giving students three years to decide if they will go all the way and I think she used it appropriately.

Just my 2.5 cents.

Last edited by Storymaster69 (2010-08-13 02:51:16)

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#3 2010-08-13 04:39:39

lordalpha
Wasted

I'm sorry but how is this any different that the hundreds of thousand Americans who milk the Pell grant system each year. While in community college here, we would have teachers who KNEW that after 3 months in class the 30 people in class would dwindle to about 9-15. 3 months was the Pell grant checks. Pay 519 a semester, make 4grand. Milk it for 4 years, cut, and run. No payment need be returned.

I might also point out, that she will not see any kind of improvement on anti-homosexual laws within the 2 more years she has in school, and doubtfully see any before she serves most of her time. I may not agree with her timing, but if she can be accepted to Yale, West Point, and stay within the top 50, out of 1100(Let alone the top 10) I doubt very much that she wanted to "milk" the system. She is smart enough as it is to get a scholarship to just about anywhere, and a job to boot, assuming she puts the time into it. I have many friends in the armed services, on both ends of the debate, and honestly, ANYONE who wants to serve, should be allowed to serve, so long as they can fulfill the basic requirements of combat.
1) fight
2) aid
3) retreat

Just about everything the normal soldier will do falls under those three. Put crudely, who she likes to suck, fuck, lick, gobble, snort or whatever in her bed does not interfere with those three requirements. They interfere less than her being a woman(No, I don't disagree with allowing women in the military) and the only interference there is some of the gear to weight ratios had to be redone for female cadets. Woohoo, go do some math, come back, No problem so long as they train to carry what they need, just like the males. Done!
(I know I am simplifying the female aspect of military life, but honestly it is not the discussion.)

Her sexuality does not impair her ability to fight. If she was into bondage, S&M, Watersports, Scat, Bestiality, or fucking underage Guatemalan dwarfs named Chichi, it still would not affect her ability to do her JOB. Just like it did not affect the jobs of Women, Blacks, Hispanics, Christians, Buddhists, or any other person who falls under the discrimination law.

I do find it funny that the right to work includes protection from discrimination based on race, creed, color, sexuality, and the like, UNLESS it is the US military....

Back to her milking the money out of West Point. Honestly, What is there drop out rate? How many students also drop out around this time, because they are scared, or doubt their abilities, or cannot cut it? Do they have to do the same thing? or are they put on trial?

I would think that the college does hold those accountable who do not finish, and will bill accordingly, but why should she be treated different than any other?

If everyone else is passed by, she should be too.
If everyone else must pay back their debt, She should too.

Edit:

Ok, a few things I found while digging a bit deeper

"Cadets can withdraw any time before they begin their second year without paying back the government for their education and without any obligations to serve in the military. "
Fine by me, but the next part is what seals the deal for me.

"The cadet plans to return to West Point after DADT is repealed and hopes to be back as early as the 2011-2012 academic year. Until then she plans to continue her studies at Yale University."

Source for first(http://chicago.gopride.com/news/article … d/12586225)
Second (http://www.shewired.com/Article.cfm?ID=25572)

Also, She has won a scholarship to BE at west point, so no, there are no, or few, government and taxpayer funds going to her education.

I will make a small point on this, directed at her.
"From the comedian 2, the Ranting Gryphon, I can walk into my job interview, get hired, then turn around and say to my boss "My mother has hemorrhoids, and I HOPE no one here will have a problem with that", drive home in your SUV with your "my mother has hemorrhoids, and I'm proud" sticker, and go to your "My mother has hemorrhoids" pride parade and pass out Purple jawbreakers, and after a few weeks of this, People are going to start to hate you. You don't walk into the first day of work, and say "Hey bob, I'm jack, your new cube mate, I enjoy long walks, tennis, and Some days I like to take my wife to dinner, get her drunk, flip her on her stomach and fuck her doggy style! I hope we can work well together!" Your cube mate could care less what you, and your hand/wife/husband/GF/BF/Red headed stepchildren do in the bedroom"

Since I don't have his rant on hand, that is largely a paraphrase, but you get the jist. If you feel that a part of you is being held back because your co-workers and friends don't know who you like to fuck and how, I'm sorry, but your answer to ANYTHING sexual should be "I am not comfortable talking about that, and would ask you leave it be" And anyone who goes around work talking about how sweet "that hot piece of ass was last night" needs to shut up, sit down, and realize that work is where you do WORK, not gossip about your sex life.

Yea, touchy subject with me, but hey, At least I have a reason to post in a politics thread!
(and jeff, I'm not attacking you, or your comments 3dsmile Just giving my 2 cents. No harm or foul meant! ^_^ )

Last edited by lordalpha (2010-08-13 04:56:11)

#4 2010-08-13 06:06:02

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I would agree with you, LA, except for those two points:

1. She was doing a project on this subject.  This makes it pretty clear to me that she had an agenda.
2. She expects to return when/if DADT is repealed.  This means that she will not serve unless and until it is, and I'm pretty sure she knew that going in.

In other words, she misrepresented herself on her application, which is, in my book, fraud.  She promised to serve the military *as is*, not as she wanted it to be.

As to people gossiping about their sex lives at work, that should pretty much be an employees decision.  If it makes one employee uncomfortable, they should make that clear, and the other employees should respect that.  But if your entire shop finds such things entertaining, then there is absolutely no reason to forbid it.

This used to be really easy to figure out:  People used this thing called "respect for others" to figure out whether topics were appropriate... but c'mon, folks: you ARE going to get offended in your life, and you DON'T have a right to not get offended.  (Harassed, yes, you have the right not to be harassed.  Offended?  No.)

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#5 2010-08-13 07:49:49

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

NOBODY pays to go to West Point. I'm sure it's possible to buy your way into West Point but unlike every other college/university in the country, you don't take out student loans or make financial arrangement to go to West Point Military Academy or the Annapolis Naval Academy or Colorado Springs Air Force Academy or the Coast Guard Academy in Illinois, I think.

If you are accepted, your tuition, room and board are all paid for by Uncle Sam with the Agreement that you will do your best in school and, once finished, that you will serve so many years in the service of your nation. Five or six years I believe is the normal term of service for the Various academies. So LA, your Pell Grant argument is moot. This isn't a gift, like a grant. This is a bartered agreement. "We will educate you and in exchange you will serve in the military for so many years." So it would be closer to defaulting on a student loan rather than flunking out while going to school on a grant.

As to the Gays in the military argument, it's not really valid to the argument but I will say this. Banning gays and lesbians from serving in the military has never been about whether those individuals could do the job. There are probably gay men out there who could march better, shoot better, and crawl through mud and muck better than I ever could. There may even be some who would enjoy the challenge. I have no doubt in my mind about that. As I said though, that has never been the issue.

It's always been more about morale than ability. In combat, you must know and trust the people around you. You can not be sitting in a fox hole or in an armored vehicle in combat and wondering if someone on your team is going to come through for you. You must also be able to live, often in very close, very uncomfortable, conditions with your squad mates. If you're worried that one of your squad mates is dreaming of your tight little ass, it's going to distract you... and, just as bad, it may distract them and it may get you all killed.

When they first started allowing African-Americans into the military, they segregated them. The African-Americans were, normally, in support units but whether they were in a combat or support unit, that unit was ALL black. They can't do that with gays and lesbians. It would be politically incorrect nowadays, plus the military isn't allowed to ask if a recruit is gay after all. How do make a segregated unit, if you can't ask and if it's not immediately apparent?

In Defense of the United State military... The military was one of the first organizations to fully integrate African-Americans just after WWII. Beating universities and corporations by years, if not decades.

#6 2010-08-13 19:21:22

LAoW
Completely Blotto

I have a question. Where the hell did our respect for personal space, our ability to reason, and our good judgment disappear to?

I believe gays and lesbians should be allowed in anywhere. Seriously, Jefferson? If Spencer over there is dreaming of your tight little ass, you'll fucking never know it. Now, if he makes a move on you, then you can take it to a higher up and have something done. But until then...stop. Fucking. Worrying. About. It. Who cares? Be flattered! On the other hand, Spencer (my gay friend Spencer would laugh cause I'm using his name) should know better than to worry about his next lay while doing something as serious as working to defend one's country and life.

People have declined into an anxiety-ridden, too easily offended, .. GROWL.

I don't have to worry about revenge because Karma is a bigger bitch than I will ever have to be.

#7 2010-08-13 23:29:28

lordalpha
Wasted

I actually had this very discussion with an army vet friend of mine about an hour ago. Here is his answer to that.

"I had a guy in my platoon while in Aff(you know where) who I knew was gay. I never had a problem with him, He did his job, he got shit done. No one in a  combat situation is going to be staring at your ass. They are going to be staring downrange. By saying that(this is in reference to a conversation WE overheard at our sheetz gas station, while taking a break, not THIS exact conversation on the board) By saying that gays are gona look at your ass during combat you are saying one of 2 things.
1)heterosexuals are the ONLY people with self control.
2)heterosexual guys stare at female ass while fighting with said female.
You cannot say that in a combat situation gays are gona stare at your ass without saying they have no control, or You do the same thing."

I have to agree with him on this. I also have to agree with PARTS of the other comments. My mention of not having sex in the workplace was for this,(I ended up editing most of it out for lenght and ramble) If I don't want to talk about it, and I say so, People need to "RESPECT" that
In this day and age, I would end up getting jibed over and over about being a faggot, or a virgin, or sucking at picking up chicks....If I was gay, that would start to wear on me, if I was a virgin, the same thing. But it comes down to respecting others. I HATE whenever someone wants to Legislate morality, because morality is not a set idea for each person. Anyone who says it is, needs to keep this in mind.

As much as I want to finish all the thoughts in my head, I needed to be on the road to home an hour ago 3dsmile I shall pop back in later and try and finish hehehe

And honestly, I take no offense from what has been said, nor do I mean to give any to anyone 3dsmile

Oh! and jeff!

Nice ass!

http://www.how-to-draw-funny-cartoons.com/image-files/cartoon-donkey-8.gif

#8 2010-08-14 02:22:16

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

1)heterosexuals are the ONLY people with self control.
2)heterosexual guys stare at female ass while fighting with said female.

Homosexuals have as much, if not more, self control than heterosexuals. I have no doubt in my mind of this.

Of course... they don't let women in combat units either. Wonder why?? 3dsmile

#9 2010-08-14 05:48:46

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

Jefferson wrote:

Of course... they don't let women in combat units either. Wonder why?? 3dsmile

The way I've heard it is because in combat you have to work together as a team but you also have to be willing and capable of letting your fellow team members to be put in danger in pursuit of the mission objective.

The concern is that there is a certain hardwired instinct in the male psyche that says a good man must protect the woman.  If the woman is the best person to make that charge towards the enemy line to toss a grenade into their foxhole the commander or her teammates may be more reluctant than normal to let her put herself in such danger even if in the end her doing so could save more lives more effectively than one of the male members of the team.

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#10 2010-08-14 19:06:59

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

SM, that is merely one of many "reasons" stated for it, and the debate rages on.  However, I think this rule will be changing soon, as the women serving in Iraq and Afghanistan have made it pretty damned clear that 1) Women are quite capable in combat, and 2) The hangups that get talked about are the ones politicians have, not the ones soldiers have.

Eric

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

Board footer