The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1376 2020-02-03 19:41:51

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: Writing Status

Apparently you skipped the part where you post reviews of stories in that particular story's section of the forum, too...

3droll

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#1377 2020-02-03 22:23:14

IBSwimmin
Inebriated

Lol Eric - i watched that video today during lunch and was going to post it... I do love me some Matt Parker.

#1378 2020-02-04 01:35:34

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

Eric Storm wrote:

Apparently you skipped the part where ...

3droll

Eric Storm

I deal with that all day.
Phone bank customer service for an online company.

#1379 2020-02-04 01:54:08

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Yeah, but nobody will fire ME if I tell people off.  Nyah-nyah!

3dtongue

LOL

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#1380 2020-02-11 05:24:44

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Update for February 11, 2020:

For those curious, I estimate that WAY8-6 is approximately 2/3 finished.  It is currently at just over 11,000 words.

NO, I do not have any idea when I'll be finished with it.  Let's say... Friday.  (Of course, I'm not saying WHICH Friday...)

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#1381 2020-02-11 18:46:53

Elessar
Completely Blotto

I was going to ask but I keep forgetting. Glad to see it is coming along, stuck on any stories yet? That’s where I’m
Helpful.

#1382 2020-02-12 04:18:20

JBPayne
Inebriated

Eric Storm wrote:

Update for February 11, 2020:

For those curious, I estimate that WAY8-6 is approximately 2/3 finished.  It is currently at just over 11,000 words.

NO, I do not have any idea when I'll be finished with it.  Let's say... Friday.  (Of course, I'm not saying WHICH Friday...)

Eric Storm

Would it be the second Friday of next week?

#1383 2020-02-12 06:43:47

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

No, I'm gonna be busy that day.  It's the third Friday of Smarch, St. Swizzen's Day.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#1384 2020-02-12 15:48:42

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

JBPayne wrote:

Would it be the second Friday of next week?

You say that like it never happens.
3 on, 1 off, 2 on, 1 off gives me two Fridays every week. The only problem is that I ALSO get two Mondays every week.

#1385 2020-02-12 19:47:46

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

We were clearly not speaking of metaphysical Fridays.  It is physically impossible to have two actual Fridays in a 7-day period without screwing around with the International Date Line.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#1386 2020-02-13 00:03:29

Elessar
Completely Blotto

That sounds like it would actually be fun.

#1387 2020-02-15 02:42:35

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Update for February 14, 2020:

The Woodward Academy, Year 8, Chapter 6: November, has been finished, and is with the reviewers.

Happy Valentine's Day.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#1388 2020-02-15 06:00:03

Elessar
Completely Blotto

Awesome. Rest for a day, or whatever constitutes R&R for you, and start chugging along again! Happy to hear it wrapped up quickly enough(3 days is actually pretty quick compared to 3 months).

Eric Storm wrote:

Update for February 14, 2020:

The Woodward Academy, Year 8, Chapter 6: November, has been finished, and is with the reviewers.

Happy Valentine's Day.

Eric Storm

#1389 2020-02-15 10:23:52

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Yeah... don't put any stock in this, but I think I'm beginning to feel what I call "wrap-up fever".  It's a strong drive that occurs when I get near the end of a book.  It's also somewhat worrying, as it could mean that WAY8 will be finished sooner than I expect, and I won't have anything ready to work on after it.  (See other thread...)

But as soon as I try to rely on that, the feeling will go away, so...  *shrugs*

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#1390 2020-02-16 05:27:45

bigfoot
Wasted

Eric Storm wrote:

Yeah... don't put any stock in this, but I think I'm beginning to feel what I call "wrap-up fever".  It's a strong drive that occurs when I get near the end of a book.

I'm still hoping you'll change your mind and we'll have WAY9 or a continuation that takes place 1,000 years from now featuring not so young David Stroud.

#1391 2020-02-16 05:34:14

Elessar
Completely Blotto

That would be an entirely different book. So technically it could be possible, he would however have to come up with a problem for David to over come that is an actual challenge for a Demi Ghost. Such as, they want to crown him king for whatever reason. Or the current king becomes a Demi Ghost as well and suddenly gets the urge to be king forever rather than step down.

bigfoot wrote:

Eric Storm wrote:

Yeah... don't put any stock in this, but I think I'm beginning to feel what I call "wrap-up fever".  It's a strong drive that occurs when I get near the end of a book.

I'm still hoping you'll change your mind and we'll have WAY9 or a continuation that takes place 1,000 years from now featuring not so young David Stroud.

#1392 2020-02-16 05:42:57

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Depending on the way Callamandian law is written, that might not be an issue.  If the law says the king will remain in office until "he dies", then legally the king could remain in power indefinitely: he would never have actually died.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#1393 2020-02-16 22:22:53

Josh.Bond
Inebriated

Because it would be more correct to say he ceased to live.

#1394 2020-02-16 23:05:03

bigfoot
Wasted

Elessar wrote:

That would be an entirely different book. So technically it could be possible, he would however have to come up with a problem for David to over come that is an actual challenge for a Demi Ghost.

How about this... At some point, the last male in the Levi Dailey line will die and all the trapped demighosts (like Jacob) will be released from their 'permanent' prisons. Who better to quell a potential demighost rebellion than David?  Seriously, can you imagine what havoc twenty or so seriously pissed off, recenty freed demighosts can do to the relatively calm nation of Callamandia?

#1395 2020-02-17 05:41:49

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Who are they going to be pissed off at?  The entire family that imprisoned them would have disappeared.  While I'm sure that the ones who've been imprisoned the longest might not be quite right in the head anymore, it's unlikely they're going to go around killing indiscriminately.

And really, how interesting a story would that be, honestly?

Code:

D = <number of released demighosts>

for X = 1 to D
     Find Demighost
     Capture Demighost
     Imprison Demighost
Next X

That would be the entire book.   *yawn*

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#1396 2020-02-17 21:19:00

Elessar
Completely Blotto

While I don’t entirely agree with the Demi ghost plot, the issue I see is that, not all of the Demi ghosts were imprisoned by that family. There is a possibility that is the case, however that is A LOT of Demi ghosts they would have to imprison. I don’t recall specifics but if they had say 3 kids, then that’s 3 Demi ghosts they would try to imprison.

What I would be curious about is a story about one of the other characters that was significant to David becoming who he is, but not quiet a significant enough person to keep going in the story.

#1397 2020-02-18 00:51:56

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Elessar: Yes, ALL imprisoned demighosts were imprisoned by that family.  Otherwise, they would not be freed when that family died off.

As to the number imprisoned:  The ritual is for becoming head of household.  Not every descendant is even going to want that.  They would have imprisoned, on average, one demighost every 50 years.  (Call it a wizard-generation).

As to your suggestion... what would be the plot?  Anyone existing in the David timeline would have gone through the war, which you will already know how that ends.  What else would I write about them?

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#1398 2020-02-18 07:24:27

Elessar
Completely Blotto

The plot would depend on the character. Example, if you did a short side story about the dwarfs that David helped, or the merchant that traveled. Or maybe could write about the mermaid(I currently forget her name. I do remember that you aren't good with female story lines). Anybody that isn't directly in the main story line, but had some sort of influential part with David, or at the very least a good scene that made it worthy. They don't have to go into the war and participate, but it could be a story of how they were affected by their meet with David, where it took them after meeting him and if it changed them for the better or worse.

Eric Storm wrote:

Elessar: Yes, ALL imprisoned demighosts were imprisoned by that family.  Otherwise, they would not be freed when that family died off.

As to the number imprisoned:  The ritual is for becoming head of household.  Not every descendant is even going to want that.  They would have imprisoned, on average, one demighost every 50 years.  (Call it a wizard-generation).

As to your suggestion... what would be the plot?  Anyone existing in the David timeline would have gone through the war, which you will already know how that ends.  What else would I write about them?

Eric Storm

#1399 2020-02-18 10:35:57

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Yeah... I don't sense a conflict in any of that.

Truthfully, the only characters I've considered for a spin-off (and here's where that "not good with female leads" thing comes in again) are the priestesses of Mirelia.  If the land has guardian priestesses, it must have something to guard the land from, so there is story potential there.  Six different main characters to choose from... the potential to see previous characters (such as David) again...  There is room HERE for a plot line...

But I don't have one in mind, and, as we know, female protagonists... ick.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#1400 2020-02-18 14:51:39

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

What about a new character in Mirellia, a male protagonist, being brought into the priesthood - possibly showing potential for a position of power but having to fight a "glass ceiling" even though he is qualified for advancement, possibly favored by the cats? The glass ceiling would not be the primary conflict, however.

The story could easily include the characters who are already known, would be from your preferred viewpoint, and could touch on the issue(s) which require the priest(ess)hood as guardians and have both internal drama within the hierarchy and drama from without.

Last edited by darthel0101 (2020-02-18 14:54:56)

Board footer