The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#951 2018-11-07 20:06:58

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: Writing Status

It is likely to be a rough year ahead in this regard.  We lose Cocoa tomorrow, Snickelfritz on Saturday.  Nimbus is already nearly 8 years old, which is pretty geriatric for a ferret, and her health is clearly starting to decline.  Bit, our "miniature" poodle (he weighs 22 damned pounds... how is that "miniature"????) is 13, and his health is declining.  Our bird is almost 12, which is still below the average for cockatiels, but she's had a pretty hard life, so no telling when she might depart.

Thankfully at least the cats seem stable.  Slush has his urinary problems, but everything I've read says that once you put them on this prescription food, they almost never have urinary blockages again.

So... yeah, it's not gonna be a fun time for us.  Thanks for the empathy.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#952 2018-11-09 03:49:42

peace2300
Inebriated

I'll be honest that I can't imagine a day without my boys(cats). My boy would follow me anywhere and keep coming and it's great. I hope your cats bring you as much joy as mine.

So....when do you think the reviewers will be done so we all can gorge ourselves on the newest offering?

#953 2018-11-09 04:21:00

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

We have three cats.  The first, Stormy, was brought to us by my sister as a Christmas present for Keeshaba.  Stormy is kind of a middle-of-the-road cat.  He likes both of us, and he likes to lay with us on the bed sometimes, but mostly he does his own thing.  (Unless there are cat treats.  Cat treats?  Did someone say cat treats?  STORMY!  Get off my keyboard!  hehehe)

Slush we adopted when he was just five weeks old.  He's Keeshaba's cat, no question.  Oh, he likes me just fine, and he'll play with me, but he will bring the toy mouse to Keeshaba to throw long before he'll resort to bringing it to me.  (Yes, we have a cat that fetches.)

Sookie is a stray that we adopted in 2015.  She is the least ambiguous of our cats.  She's Daddy's Little Girl.  She will lay on my chest and go to sleep while I'm watching TV.  She expects belly rubbings every morning.  She often sleeps right beside me on the bed.  Given the choice between Keeshaba and me, she will always choose me.  And she's very trusting for a former stray: she will let me do a whole lot of things to her that most former strays would scratch your face off for.  (Like picking them up and stuffing them in a carrier...)  She's still an indoor-outdoor cat, but she spends most nights inside now.  I admit, she's my favorite of our pets... even though she gets on my nerves every once in a while.

So, yes, I do have some emotional support critters to help me through this time.  It does make things a bit easier.

As to the reviewers, I anticipate posting sometime on Sunday.  I'm still awaiting one review, but if he doesn't get it in by then, I won't wait any longer.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#954 2018-11-09 05:05:23

peace2300
Inebriated

Theo is my boy, he's an orange tabby that followed me out on my first smoke break when he meet me and has not looked back. This cat would follow me to the gates of hell and that's no joke. Next is Neko and it took 7 years for this cat to truly trust me and now he would follow me as well. I can't imagine a day home without those two. I just wish they would be good truck cats as I am an over the road truck driver and my cat(Theo) sulks when I'm not home at night.

#955 2018-11-10 04:19:00

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

I'm not a pet person, but my other half was. Unfortunately, we had to put three dogs to sleep over the years. My sympathies are with you and yours as you deal with the losses.

#956 2018-11-11 22:00:47

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Update for November 11, 2018:

Well, it's over.  Our little Cocoa is at rest now, and Snickel... is not.  I hear he's having a blast in his new home, actually.  Still sad to see him go, but I think it's ultimately better for him this way.

Anyway, I've just posted a new image that shows the commendations that an army soldier can receive.  I figured I'd create this since some, if not all, of them will be referenced in Book 8 at some point or another, and this way you'll know what they look like.

It is my intention to post WAY8-1 either later today, or early tomorrow (2am, 3am, something like that is what I mean by "early".)  I still have to do the final proof on the chapter, and it's nearly 21,000 words, so it will take me a few hours to do.  Just keep your eyes open here.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#957 2018-11-12 06:38:02

nukeman24
Inebriated

Sorry to hear you had to do that eric my thoughts are with you and your family

#958 2018-11-12 06:56:34

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Update for November 12, 2018:

The Woodward Academy, Year 7, Chapter 7: December is now public.
The Woodward Academy, Year 8, Chapter 1: June has been posted to PRM.

Chapter 2 is already underway, though events of the last week have hindered progress.  Hopefully, with that behind me, things will pick back up.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#959 2018-11-12 07:49:53

bigfoot
Wasted

It is SO good to read new Eric Storm WAY words!!!!!    Thanks for your time and efforts. We genuinely appreciate it.

#960 2018-12-10 08:48:37

Elessar
Completely Blotto

Just curious as it has been just shy of a month. How things are progressing for you and yours.

#961 2018-12-10 20:35:02

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

*snort*

If things pick up a little, you MIGHT have the next chapter for Christmas... but don't hold your breath for that, either.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#962 2018-12-13 00:00:19

Josh.Bond
Inebriated

As long as I get it for a Birthday gift I can wait... But Christmas is always better.

#963 2018-12-13 01:44:27

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Is your birthday in November?  Because that's the only way I can reasonably guarantee you'll get it before your next one...

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#964 2018-12-13 02:10:20

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

And then there were none...

This afternoon, we took Nimbus to the vet.  She did not come home.  We don't really know what was wrong with her.  Her health had been deteriorating for several months.  She had trouble walking, and lately she had developed some kind of problem with her eyes.  She also had some kind of jerk or twitch that would happen every so often.  The vet felt like it was probably a neurological problem, but its cause remains unknown.  Given that she was already 8 years old, we decided it was time to let her go, rather than to let her deteriorate to the point where she couldn't even take care of her bodily needs anymore.

Nimbus was the last of our ferrets.  We won't be getting any more.  Should you be thinking about getting ferrets, know these two things: 

First, they are a fucking riot.  They are hilarious to watch and interact with.  They are very friendly (usually), and after being taught not to nip (something that doesn't take much), they are safe and easy to handle.

Second, they require a LOT of time and energy.  Even the best-behaved ferrets are not 100% litter-trained.  Accidents can and will happen.  Cleaning the cage should be done daily (it will only take a few minutes, but there's a lot of bending and twisting involved...)  Ferrets need to be out of their cage for hours a day, and they need to be supervised while they're out.  (Either that, or you need to ferret-proof your home.  If you think protecting a child from harm is difficult, you haven't seen anything yet.)

So, would I recommend ferrets?  If you have the energy for them, absolutely.  We are low-energy people, and so they weren't a good match for us, much as we loved them.  I will miss all four of them; they were wonderful to have around.  I will not, however, miss cleaning up after them.

In any case, I will probably be taking a day or two off from writing.  I'm just not really in the mood right now.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#965 2018-12-13 07:03:33

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

My sincerest condolences on the loss of your fur-baby.

#966 2018-12-13 19:42:31

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Thank you.  It sucks that she had to go so close to Christmas, but it was for the best.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#967 2018-12-14 08:02:30

KaosKing
Inebriated

Sorry for your losses Eric, I had a very good dog when I was younger, and he unfortunately was starting to go a little blind when he got hit one day while he was out and about. We live in the country, and he was an outside dog that was able to roam freely.

And if I don't post before then, I hope your Christmas is otherwise joyous despite the grim tidings. Also, happy new year if it happens before I post again.

#968 2018-12-15 15:54:16

bigfoot
Wasted

So sorry for your losses. I lost my nearly fifteen year old puppy in September and not a day goes by without being flooded by good memories. As the days pass, the old dog disappears and the young, vibrant, playful young friend who was always there for me echoes strongest in my memories. If form holds true, it wil happen for you as well.

#969 2018-12-25 04:17:02

nukeman24
Inebriated

Merry Christmas to you and your family Eric  hope all goes well and u have a joyous and happy day

#970 2019-01-01 15:22:16

nukeman24
Inebriated

Happy new year eric hope all is well

#971 2019-01-16 18:23:30

ozygonzo
Inebriated

Hi Eric
Just found out about your unfortunate losses, it is with heartfelt emotion I offer you and yours, my deep and sincere condolences and May you be blessed with safety and peace and May your future be as brilliant as embroidered cloth.

Last edited by ozygonzo (2019-01-16 18:25:45)

'I Wish I Was A Glow Worm, A Glow Worm Is Never Glum, Cuz' How can you Be Grumpy, When The Sun Shines Out Your Bum

#972 2019-01-22 16:36:38

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Okay, so, the truth is that the closer we got to today, the less and less chance there was of me doing any writing.  Why?

No, it's not because it happens to be my mother's birthday (may she rest in peace).  It's because this morning was my 341 Meeting of Creditors for the bankruptcy.

Bankruptcy is a federal process, which means that this meeting was held in a federal courthouse.  Thankfully not in front of a judge, but still under oath and recorded, and all that fun stuff.  Even more fun, the meeting was scheduled for 8:30am in Tampa.

Now, I don't live in Tampa, and anyone who knows me knows that I see 8:30am only at gunpoint.  I am a severe night-owl; I'm more likely to see sunrise before going to bed than after waking up.  My sleep schedule for the past several days has been utterly disrupted in order to make sure I could be awake for this damnable meeting.  Worse, Tampa may only be 40 miles from New Port Richey, but in early morning rush hour, it took us nearly two hours to get there.  No, I'm not kidding.  We left here at 6:30, and arrived at the courthouse at 8:10.

For anyone who might be considering bankruptcy, or who is in the midst of one but hasn't had their 341 meeting yet:  If you have a no-asset, simple Chapter 7 bankruptcy, this meeting really is going to be stupidly simple and short.  My meeting lasted all of about three minutes, and no, I'm not exaggerating.  I didn't time it (obviously), but it really was that fast.  Most of the questions asked are of the yes/no variety (unless the trustee finds something in your petition they want to question you about.  There was nothing in my case.)  Five months of near terror-inducing anxiety for a five-minute anti-climactic meeting.  From this point on, it's pretty much just waiting for the process to play out.

In any case, here's hoping that, with this behind me, my muse will come out of the locked, bolted and chained apartment in my mind she's been hiding in, and let me get some work done.  But... not today.  I'm fuckin' tired.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#973 2019-01-24 00:52:22

adultswim3
Inebriated

Glad to hear it went well. I was waiting for the shoe to drop that you got there and it was closed for the government shutdown.

#974 2019-01-24 08:22:36

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I'm quite sure that I would have found out long before the day of the hearing.

And as an update:  Today the trustee posted her docket report requesting to be discharged as trustee from the case.  This is the step that says, "Okay, we didn't find anything wrong with your petition, so as long as the creditors don't make a legal objection, your bankruptcy will be discharged in due course."  It is highly unlikely that any creditors will object, so we really are now just waiting for the deadline to run out.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#975 2019-02-01 13:45:52

islandman79#
Inebriated

Hi Eric
Miay I ask if your working on any of your creative writing projects( in your off moments)?
And if you might use a proof reader.
I understand that when you create a written chapter of any of your listed stories ( in prm) that you have others prooof read the item.

If an opportunity opens up, I’d enjoy working with you on your stories.

Q&a. Have you read any of the kindle unlimited selection apps book library thru amazon?
Great selection.      If I could recommend one series that reminds me of your style and creative writing ( ie Woodward).   
- author=Daniel- Schinhofen. ( alpha world).
&
- author=Jan Stryvant.  ( The Valens Legacy book)

Sincerely a fan

Board footer