The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Politics
  •  » What kind of Hope and Change do we REALLY want?

#1 2010-05-23 04:45:26

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

What kind of Hope and Change do we REALLY want?

I would like to see a moral's clause of some sort put into the state Constitutions.

One that reads that elected officials, whether they serve on the city council, as mayor, county supervisor, in the state house, as an attorney general, a governor, a Congressmen or Senator in D.C, that they will be held to the highest standards of behavior.

That we expect our elected representatives to behave properly, at least while in office. This would include being faithful to ones spouse, paying your taxes, properly and on time, no law breaking, beyond a speeding or parking ticket.

If they are caught drinking and driving, embezzling money from their campaign, sleeping with a prostitute or snorting cocaine, an elected official should resign. If they choose to be stubborn, the states and the people should have the right of recall to put the individual out of office quickly and efficiently.

We hold our star athletes to higher standards than we do our elected officials. At least our athletes get drug tested every now and then!

#2 2010-05-23 05:24:01

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

Re: What kind of Hope and Change do we REALLY want?

Jefferson wrote:

I would like to see a moral's clause of some sort put into the state Constitutions.

One that reads that elected officials, whether they serve on the city council, as mayor, county supervisor, in the state house, as an attorney general, a governor, a Congressmen or Senator in D.C, that they will be held to the highest standards of behavior.

That we expect our elected representatives to behave properly, at least while in office. This would include being faithful to ones spouse, paying your taxes, properly and on time, no law breaking, beyond a speeding or parking ticket.

If they are caught drinking and driving, embezzling money from their campaign, sleeping with a prostitute or snorting cocaine, an elected official should resign. If they choose to be stubborn, the states and the people should have the right of recall to put the individual out of office quickly and efficiently.

We hold our star athletes to higher standards than we do our elected officials. At least our athletes get drug tested every now and then!

I would totally agree with part about breaking actual laws, but morals is a bit too vague in my opinion.  What I find morally right and wrong, might be very different from someone else.  For example, some people find being in a gay relationship morally wrong.  Should an elected official have to worry if enough people were to say he or she is morally wrong because they are homosexual?

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#3 2010-05-23 05:33:05

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

Right off the bat, you couldn't recall an elected official, at least not here in the states, because of their race, color, creed, religion, gender or sexual preference. There are already laws on the books against that that protect everyone, not just elected officials.

As for what would qualify... In most cases, a law would be broken. Prostitution is illegal in this country, as are illegal narcotics, it's even illegal to get narcotics/medicines without a prescription. Drug use, without medical oversight, is illegal, to some degree, in some way, in most cases. Drunk driving is of course, also illegal. Not paying taxes, or not paying all of your taxes, are both illegal in this country.

While adultery is no longer illegal, it's still frowned upon far and wide. I don't think anyone would have a problem including it.

#4 2010-05-23 05:35:21

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I would have to agree with Storymaster.  "Moral" is a religious judgment, and everyone who visits this site would be considered morally reprehensible by a large number of American citizens.  Should visiting this site (or worse, running it) deny someone the right to serve in office?

In India, eating a cow is immoral.  Morality's not something I ever want to see government based upon.  There is a difference between ethics and morals.  I want my representatives to be ethical, but I don't give much of a damn if they're moral or not.

Eric

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#5 2010-05-23 05:37:10

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

Jefferson wrote:

Prostitution is illegal in this country

Even in Nevada?

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#6 2010-05-23 05:49:27

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

Storymaster69 wrote:

Even in Nevada?

Yes, actually, I believe so. Even in Nevada. Except in a few areas of one or two counties. Prostitution is illegal inside the city limits of Las Vegas. It is legal in Las Vegas county but, I believe then, only in brothels which overseen by the state. Street prostitution remains illegal.

Frome Wikipedia:
Nevada is the only U.S. state to allow some legal prostitution, [1] in the form of heavily regulated brothels. Prostitution outside these licensed brothels is illegal throughout the state. The brothels are situated in isolated rural areas; all forms of prostitution are illegal in Clark County (which contains the Las Vegas metropolitan area and more than three-quarters of the state's population), Washoe County (which contains Reno), Carson City, Douglas County, and Lincoln County. The other counties allow brothels, but some of these counties currently have no active brothels (brothels are in operation in only 8 counties); as of June/July 2008 there were 28 legal brothels in Nevada.[2][3][4]

#7 2010-05-23 18:57:33

lordalpha
Wasted

I would have to agree(in part) with Storymaster and Eric. Legislation of morals within a government is the first step toward a theocracy. While I agree Jeff, that there should be a LEGAL way to make them uphold their promises and such, I do not see a way to do that with legislating morals. Adultery comes to mind. Adultery, as in sex outside the marriage. Ok, what happens to John Doe, my local city council head, and his wife Jane, when they have a threesome with someone, willingly? Not "technically" adultery, but if it was found out, the locals would start a campaign to have him removed. Lets say John and Jane used to be swingers. I refuse to take the easy path here and just claim "slippery slope" since that argument is not only a debate fallacy, but just stupid. I will say that it scares me to start thinking of what may happen, even locally, should such things happen. To me, Prohibition was one attempt at this(we see how well it went.)

As for thinking of a politician that is worth his/her salt, and as moral as the day they got into office.....I will need to look up his name, but there is one local here, who has been in local and state government, and is trying for state senate this next election. (Only came on my radar because of his PRO TEACHER PRO EDUCATION stance. Not a pro-whiny-fucking-parent-because-my-kid-is-an-angel-but-really-is-a-terror stance.)

• Index
  •  » Politics
  •  » What kind of Hope and Change do we REALLY want?

Board footer