The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-01 02:27:28

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

Is Green Clean

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/e … tr=2015164

The above article is from the London Times, yes, the London in England. The article basically states that Europe has been adding palm oil to gasoline, I guess we use ethanol, they use palm oil.

The problem is, that farm land, and forested land, is being eaten up by people growing palm trees and the end result is a loss of trees eating the very carbon they're trying to stop. It's a net loss for them. The argument continues...  Thoughts?

#2 2010-03-01 04:26:08

lordalpha
Wasted

Re: Is Green Clean

For one, The green movement is one sided. The prius, the toted hybrid that will "save us all" actually hurts the environment more due to it's batteries.
For second, Even if we were to switch to an all electric system, where does that power come from, how is it stored, and what is the bleedoff. Questions like that need to be resolved WAY before any of this can be dealt with.

As to Ethanol in gas. I cannot use any gas that has it. My car uses Neoprene hoses. Ethanol shrinks the hoses, and kills my car. This is just another effect that the green people do not understand.

#3 2010-03-01 05:13:32

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

But, Lordalpha, the Green People will tell you that you shouldn't be USING neoprene hoses.  They're a petroleum-based product!

Eric

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#4 2010-03-01 16:08:13

Veritas
Wasted
Website

I had a girlfriend who was really into the green movement.  I tried to explain the realities of switching to an entirely green system - adapting all electric vehicles, for example - the downsides, the investments needed, and supporting infrastructure.  She honestly couldn't wrap her head around it.  She accused me of over-complicating the subject.

#5 2010-03-02 20:40:35

lordalpha
Wasted

1: Eric, It is either neoprene or Rubber, they hate both.
2: Accusing someone of "Over-complicating" a subject is an easy win tactic used by almost ANY group. I have seen just about every argument within the arena of debate have that used. Just because you refuse to understand an idea does not make your point right.
The one that comes to mind is a person accusing the scientists of over-complicating the idea of DNA. She claimed that since it was an acid, if we had it in our cells, we would all die, since it would burn holes in us. (needless to say, I would have just laughed and turned away )

Board footer