The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-26 06:10:41

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

Didn't feel apropriate posting this in general

I got a ebook reader for Xmas I was wondering if any thought had been given to putting out completed stories in .pdf and or .epub formats for download (could be for pay to help cover the sites costs)

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#2 2009-12-26 09:00:40

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: Didn't feel apropriate posting this in general

I've located a script to convert HTML to PDF, so I will look into adding that functionality, though I make no promises - or even any guesses - about when I might be able to add it.  I have several other programming projects running at the moment.

As to HTML to ePub... I cannot find a PHP script to do the conversion.  Trying to do my own conversion is way beyond my ability within a reasonable amount of time.  Thus, it is unlikely that this functionality will be added any time soon.

Eric

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#3 2009-12-26 14:13:30

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

ahh fair enough I'm trying to get a list of sites that sell .Epub format books i THINk i remember seeing a site that says how to make files .epub format I will send you the link if i find it again

*edit* that ddn't take NEARLY as long as i thought

https://www.bookglutton.com/api/convert.html
it will only do one file at a time but that's not SO bad if your making an ebook version youd want the whole story in one file anyway

Last edited by Neitherspace (2009-12-26 16:22:04)

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#4 2009-12-26 18:53:08

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Two things:

1. This is not a PHP script that I can use to make ePub books with.
2. They're charging $5 a pop for a service costing them virtually nothing at all.

This is impractical, as people are able to download any segment of a book.  I would have to recreate a book every time a new chapter was added.  This would cost a small fortune.

What is required for me to add this feature is a PHP script that will convert from some format into this ePub format.  It cannot be another website; it has to be something I can integrate into The Pub.

Eric

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#5 2009-12-27 02:41:49

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

ohh yea sorry missed that, i'll keep an eye out

huh well it turns out my e-reader actually can read HTML makeing this whole thing a huge so DOH on my part

Last edited by Neitherspace (2009-12-30 06:40:30)

#6 2010-02-01 03:41:20

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

ok one quick question eric is there a way to turn the WHOLE story into a single PDF?

i ask cause opening individual files for each chapter is a REAL pain on an e-reader

#7 2010-02-01 15:19:41

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Probably.  I haven't looked into it in any great detail yet.  Another site project has most of my programming attention just now.

In the interim, however, if you have OpenOffice or Word, you could always just combine them into one HTML file yourself...

Eric

----
Facebook page

#8 2010-02-02 03:52:07

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

Open Office also saves in .pdf.

I've been looking at the beta for Office 2010 and Word in there also will save by itself in .pdf

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#9 2010-02-11 05:32:47

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

SHit your right i forgot about that storymaster

seriously if open office included free ware clones of photoshop and illistrator i'd be set atm (yes  know about The Gimp i"ve never been able to get it to work)

Board footer