The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#51 2012-09-10 00:19:34

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: Where the Maiasaurs Roam

So, because my characters didn't behave like YOU would, it can't possibly be the right way to behave, right?

1. As Tim himself stated, he is not answering like a politician.  HE IS ANSWERING LIKE A SCIENTIST.  REAL scientists do not give answers to questions they do not have answers to.  They simply tell you that they don't have an answer yet.  Why would it require him to have training, OR confidence, to simply admit that he doesn't have the answer to a question?  The problem is that people READ THAT as political evasiveness, when it is, in fact, intellectual honesty.  Had he been answering like a politician, he would have been seeming to answer the question, while, in fact, giving no substantive information.  What he said, in essence, was, "I don't know yet."

2. If you were in the position to ask a company for compensation, and you had figured out how much you were going to ask for... and they decided to give it to you... how does that make YOU a master?  Chances are that actually makes you something of a chump.  In this case, it certainly does.  As the lawyers attested, a jury would have awarded ten times as much, had it gone to trial.  Where is the "mastery" in that?  More or less, this is called "being reasonable with your demands".  You can rest assured that, had the company rejected their request, the team would have gotten lawyers and proceeded down that road.  The COMPANY, not Tim, dictated the outcome of that situation.  Stop and think about it:  Tim accepted, without condition, each and every one of the company's demands.  Where is the "master negotiator" you're claiming he is?  This wasn't really a negotiation.  This was both sides laying out what they wanted, and realizing that they could live with what the other side wanted.  What this was actually showing, and probably why you can't deal with it, is that in 200 years, people will have actually gotten a bit more reasonable.

3. If you paid attention to the story closely, the only thing Kevin and Jane really had together was sex.  Their personal discussions were incredibly shallow and short.  The other relationships in the story were significantly more emotionally based.  It stands to reason that, if some relationship in the team was going to break up, it would be Kevin/Jane.  Tim has children to stabilize his relationships (they are a stabilizing influence for the responsible individual).  Steven and Aly went through so much together they are unlikely ever to separate.  Kevin and Jane, however... were just... dating.  Sorry if you liked Kevin, but that's not my problem.

4. Everything's going perfect for Tim... you drew this conclusion based on... what?  Because I didn't spend the chapter outlining all of his difficulties after getting back?  By your reasoning, Steven and Aly are having it perfect, as well, as are Sloan and Lynn.  I didn't discuss anything about what had gone on.  YOU decided it must all have gone perfectly.

5. No woman would take her children into a dangerous place... and yet women with children move to New York City with alarming regularity... a city that is FAR FAR MORE DANGEROUS THAN THE LATE CRETACEOUS EVER WAS.  We're not talking about agreeing to go back in time in the same fashion she was there the first time.  They are going as part of a planned, long-term expedition.  You can expect a doctor, probably a surgeon, to accompany the team.  Housing will have been designed with the specific possible threats in mind.  Provisions will be made for virtually all contingencies.  What, exactly, makes this place less safe than living in the suburbs of a major city?  (Where there are things like coyotes, cougars, and wolves, all of which are a threat to humans if they're hungry enough...)  This statement by you was completely nonsensical, and showed a complete lack of actual thought on your part.

6.  Didn't bother to read the Critiquing Guide on this website, did you?  You have violated the site rules (which you agreed to abide by when you registered) with your post.  Let me quote from Site Rule #5: "...Any critique containing negative observations must follow the critiquing guide found on the main portion of the site."  Your post doesn't even come close to meeting those guidelines.  What you have just posted is essentially a flame:  All negative, no positive, AND NO SUGGESTIONS FOR IMPROVEMENT.  If all you have to say is to whine about how something is written, keep it to yourself.  It's not helpful to the author, or the community.

So, I'm sorry you didn't like the conclusion, but, in short... Tough Shit.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#52 2012-09-10 00:50:18

stories10705
Tipsy

Excellent story.  I truly enjoyed it.

(posted from Chapter 10)

#53 2012-09-10 15:44:35

Freon22
Wasted

I just finished reading those last two chapters. I have to say this was a great story, I loved every minute of reading it. Now I get the joy of reading it again from start to finish without having to wait for the chapters. LOL

This story has to be on my best sellers list. :-)

(posted from the Item Information Page)

“Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.”

― Abraham Lincoln

#54 2012-09-10 16:51:53

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Glad you enjoyed it.  I hope you like my future works just as much.

Thanks for the feedback,
Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#55 2012-09-11 03:04:38

fiferguy
Inebriated

Great ending Eric.  So when's Part II come out???  ;-)

#56 2012-09-11 03:42:50

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Wow.  Haven't heard from you in a while...  Welcome back.

As to Part II... Don't hold your breath.  While I obviously left myself an opening, I really have no intention of writing a sequel.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#57 2012-09-11 18:58:59

Korreel
Tipsy

Great Story!!!  I loved it, thank you for writing it.
                 Ted

(posted from Chapter 10)

#58 2012-09-12 01:10:09

fiferguy
Inebriated

Yeah, I've been lurking for a bit.  :-)  It's been busy IRL.

What if we beg?  ohPLEASEohPLEASEohPLEASEohPLEASEohPLEASEohPLEASEohPLEASEohPLEASE?

3dbig_smile

#59 2012-09-12 22:12:41

LAoW
Completely Blotto

fiferguy wrote:

What if we beg?  ohPLEASEohPLEASEohPLEASEohPLEASEohPLEASEohPLEASEohPLEASEohPLEASE?

Don't waste your time. I try begging all the time and all it gets me is usually a growl or two. *sigh*

I don't have to worry about revenge because Karma is a bigger bitch than I will ever have to be.

#60 2012-09-14 02:47:04

fiferguy
Inebriated

LAoW wrote:

fiferguy wrote:

Don't waste your time. I try begging all the time and all it gets me is usually a growl or two. *sigh*

Sad day... 3dwink

#61 2017-12-08 03:25:22

Elessar
Completely Blotto

It has been a very long time since this story was touched on. I reread the entire thing over the past few days, personally I would love a part 2, returning to the past, several bumps along the way. Reinventing the wheel so to speak. I think it would be a great story. If you have time of course.

#62 2017-12-08 19:22:27

Freon22
Wasted

Where the Maiasaurs Roam is one of the stories that got me hook on this site. I don't know if Eric could do a part 2 because in the story they were trapped in the pass. I would think that fail safes would be put into place to make sure no one was ever trapped in the pass again.

But who knows maybe Eric could come up with a part 2 that is just as great as the first. I would love to read a story that runs along the same lines as this story. hint, hint!

“Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.”

― Abraham Lincoln

#63 2017-12-08 21:56:49

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

There is no way to prevent the "trapped" scenario entirely.  Consider the simple fact that, once sent back, there is no communication between the travelers and the home base.  The only contact they have is with the Honor Systems Beacon (TM), which only tells them, "Hey, the pod is right here!"  This means that any number of things could happen unexpectedly that would trap the travelers.

I have considered a sequel.  The idea has not been rejected, it just hasn't been further developed at this point.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

Board footer