Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#26 2009-10-25 08:26:11

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: This is amazingly pathetic...

You're wrong.   3dsmile

Hey, you told me to tell you.  You didn't say I had to actually think you were wrong...  3dbig_smile

Eric

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#27 2009-10-25 18:11:47

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

Jefferson:

I think the only problem with your idea of multitudes of schools is if the idea really caught on any given area could have five or more competing schools.  This might work in a large city, but imagine a small rural district with only a few thousand people tops.  Would there be enough population to sustain that many different school systems?  You need administration, teachers and facilities for each and it would not be fair to expect "System A" to help pay for "System B"

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#28 2009-10-25 18:42:42

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Hence where the competition comes in, Storymaster.

Any system where there was both choice, and federal funding, would mean that the school money was put in the hands of the parents.  (Not literally, obviously, but in the form of a voucher that they would give to the school of their choice.)  HOWEVER:  There is nothing saying that the school would accept the voucher as payment in full.

And the truth is that our schools waste a shitload of money.  More can be done with far less, if efficiency is one of the goals.  It isn't in our school systems, because there are too many bureaucratic hoops to jump through.

In your example of a small rural district... all the requirements get smaller, too.  A large urban school will have two or three administrators, a large office staff, a few dozen teachers, and a couple thousand students.  In a small, rural school, you would have a single administrator, maybe one office worker, probably less than ten teachers, and maybe a few hundred students.  What is required in these smaller facilities is flexible personnel: teachers capable of teaching more than one subject.  The facility/equipment costs will be commensurately smaller, because the school is smaller.

It could work, but I don't see it happening, unfortunately.

Eric

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#29 2009-12-17 06:46:26

LAoW
Completely Blotto

I don't have to worry about revenge because Karma is a bigger bitch than I will ever have to be.

Board footer