The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#26 2009-01-19 23:32:06

Giskard
Inebriated

Re: 2009 What will the future look like?

I'm getting kinda nervous: would LAoW be kinda related to the BRAIN of "Pinky and the Brain" fame? Cuz if I see a little white mouse around her going NARF! - I'm heading for Alaska.  Oh shit - I forgot ! they already have a BRAIN up there!  Any room in CANADA eh?

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not
  sure about the former."
  - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#27 2009-01-20 02:17:37

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

Umm you do know that that it is Pinky that says Narf! not Brain right?

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#28 2009-01-20 04:05:44

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Hence why the mouse saying Narf! would be "around" her, not actually her.

Eric

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#29 2009-01-20 17:10:02

LAoW
Completely Blotto

/me whispers to the mice to hide, quick! They've figured us out!

I don't have to worry about revenge because Karma is a bigger bitch than I will ever have to be.

#30 2009-01-24 22:57:46

Giskard
Inebriated

That's IT - I knew that Pinky was hiding over there! Quick - someone call Underdog,

Storymaster - Any good hiding places up there?

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not
  sure about the former."
  - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#31 2009-01-25 18:41:19

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

oh here's something interesting scientists had been granted permission to create human hybrid embryos

i think G.E.L.F. servants are a possibility

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#32 2009-01-31 21:34:47

LAoW
Completely Blotto

Oooohhhhh yes! Did you know that every cell phone has (or better damn well have) a seriel number called an IMEI number. It's a 15 digit number on the inside of the phone. You can also call this number up by pressing *#06# from your main screen of your phone while it's powered on. Nifty, huh? Well, those little wonderful IMEI numbers can be traced. Now don't you DARE call into your local cell phone company screaming, (in a whiney voice) "LAoW told me you could do it!" This is something not many of the idiots I work with even know about. I love :heart: experience. By pulling up your call details, I can double click on the shit and pull up your IMEI and the approximate ten mile radius the phone was used in. Now while I know you're thinking "HA! So they CAN track us!" You need to stop right there, Bucko. The problem is is that while it does show us that you did use the phone (ha ha! You can't dispute it!), it unfortunately shows us which towers in tower languange. T.T  It tells us precisely which tower alright. But unless you're the damn technician, we have no idea of telling where that is. And of course, there's all these policies and stuff... Anywho! The other great thing about these little IMEI numbers is that we can put them into our system and tell if they're active in the system or not. Let me give you an example. I had a call that resulted in me telling a gentleman in a polite way to fuck off. When his account came up, it was flagged that he had been calling in repeatedly with IMEI numbers, trying to get them unlocked, but they were active on other accounts. Illegal! Sure enough, he was calling in again, trying the same thing with me. So when he called and asked me, I looked up the IMEI's in the system and sure enough, they were active on another account. I then proceeded to tell the gentleman "Sir, you have been calling in again and again, asking to have these phones unlocked and we have been telling you no, repeatedly. We can not and will not unlock these phones for you and that is final unless you can verify the accounts the phones are active on." After some running around with him, he escalated. The person taking the escalation just laughed when I told them what I had said. They seem to like me over there and keep begging me to come over there for some reason. I don't know. Heh. Anyways...I like IMEI numbers. Fifteen little numbers...they can cause such a pain the ass. Or they can be such a wonderful little asset.   So! The future? Our bodies will have serial numbers, but they will be more than 15 numbers. They will be millions and millions of strings of coded bars that you will have to see with microscopes and everyone will have a different kind. It will be based on parental lineage, passed down. There will always be flaws. And people will try to break the code and build it up from the ground. There are those who will think to play God. The future is now. *turns head slowly and looks at you and smiles* How cliche.

I don't have to worry about revenge because Karma is a bigger bitch than I will ever have to be.

#33 2009-01-31 22:43:43

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

...LAoW?  I think it's time to either up your medication.... or lower it.  I'm not sure which.  3dsmile

Eric

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#34 2009-01-31 23:02:23

Yellow Snow
Inebriated

or at least share it, Eric

If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for that day, if you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#35 2009-01-31 23:31:53

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

LAoW wrote:

So! The future? Our bodies will have serial numbers, but they will be more than 15 numbers. They will be millions and millions of strings of coded bars that you will have to see with microscopes and everyone will have a different kind. It will be based on parental lineage, passed down. There will always be flaws. And people will try to break the code and build it up from the ground. There are those who will think to play God. The future is now. *turns head slowly and looks at you and smiles* How cliche.

AKA DNA?

On the subject of IMEI numbers, is that not that cool little thing that if your cell phone is reported stolen the carrier can disable it and if a person is actually stupid enough to call in because it stopped working or even worse try to put in their own SIM card a nice call to the police can be placed for a visit?

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#36 2009-02-03 07:25:07

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

Storymaster69 wrote:

LAoW wrote:

So! The future? Our bodies will have serial numbers, but they will be more than 15 numbers. They will be millions and millions of strings of coded bars that you will have to see with microscopes and everyone will have a different kind. It will be based on parental lineage, passed down. There will always be flaws. And people will try to break the code and build it up from the ground. There are those who will think to play God. The future is now. *turns head slowly and looks at you and smiles* How cliche.

AKA DNA?

your not wrong SM69 dna codes can be coded in quaternary (is that a word? well it is now) since all dna 4 Proteins/chemicals (its 2 am be impressed 1 figured this much out)

G A T C
1 2 3 4

now in sure ppl much smarter than me will take this asn make codes for the base pairs and for common groupings there of till if you know how you read it a persons PDC (personal dna code) gives your complete genetic profile

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#37 2009-02-03 17:21:52

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

tsk tsk.  You shouldn't have tried to do that at 2am.  You KNOW all numbering systems start at 0.  3dsmile

Eric

----
Facebook page

#38 2009-02-04 05:08:22

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

lol

#39 2009-02-23 23:43:35

LAoW
Completely Blotto

Okay. This is kind of long, but if you have an hour and a half to kill...I suggest it.

http://video.stumbleupon.com/#p=aza4fbl39y

#40 2009-04-22 15:52:41

LAoW
Completely Blotto

Yar har har har!!! So this was pulled from Yahoo's daily news articles. What I was told when I worked there was that the so called "unlimited" texting plan actually does have a limit, but it's so damn high that they never expected anyone to actually reach it. I guess they did. ROFL

PHILADELPHIA -

Their thumbs sure must be sore. Two central Pennsylvania friends spent most of March in a text-messaging record attempt, exchanging a thumbs-flying total of 217,000. For one of the two, that meant an inches-thick itemized bill for $26,000.

Nick Andes, 29, and Doug Klinger, 30, were relying on their unlimited text messaging plans to get them through the escapade, so Andes didn't expect such a big bill.

"It came in a box that cost $27.55 to send to me," he said Tuesday. He said he "panicked" and called T-Mobile, which told The Associated Press it had credited his account and was investigating the charges.

The two Lancaster-area residents have been practically nonstop texters for about a decade since they attended Berks Technical Institute together.

That led Andes to search for the largest monthly text message total he could find posted online: 182,000 sent in 2005 by Deepak Sharma in India.

Andes and Klinger were able to set up their phones to send multiple messages. During a February test run they found they could send 6,000 or 7,000 messages on some days, prompting the March messaging marathon.

"Most were either short phrases or one word, 'LOL' or 'Hello,' things like that, with tons and tons of repeats," said Andes, reached by phone.

Andes sent more than 140,000 messages, and Klinger sent more than 70,000 to end the month with a total of just over 217,000, he said.

A spokesman for Guinness World Records didn't immediately return messages asking whether it would be certified as a record.

April came as a relief to Andes' wife, Julie, who had found his phone tied up with texting when she tried to call him on lunch breaks.

"She was tired of it the first few days into it," Andes said.

#41 2009-04-23 05:10:10

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

wasn't there a girl a while back who would have wracked up a $500,000 bill if her parents didn't have unlimited texting?

#42 2009-04-23 19:48:59

LAoW
Completely Blotto

Neitherspace wrote:

wasn't there a girl a while back who would have wracked up a $500,000 bill if her parents didn't have unlimited texting?

There are ALWAYS massive bills because unlimited texting is left off of the accounts. That is nothing new. This one is different, though. The unlimited plan was there. They just exceeded their unlimitedness. ROFL

#43 2009-04-23 21:45:08

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

"You have unlimited texting, yes.... but not THAT unlimited, dammit!"  -  Fictional Cellphone Company Executive

Eric

----
Facebook page

#44 2009-04-24 02:24:37

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

One phrase sums it up.  "Read the small print"

This is like the time I was looking into getting a wireless data plan.  I was looking at their "Unlimited" plan except that unlimited in their lexicon was 100 MB.

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#45 2009-04-24 03:45:17

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

That's the kind of thing that they need to be sued over, for false advertising.  You cannot say, "Your plan is unlimited, but with a 100MB limit."  It's an outright lie, and they shouldn't be allowed to get away with it.  Why they ARE, is beyond me.

Eric

----
Facebook page

#46 2009-04-25 02:01:22

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

well the company said its a glitch and there working to fix it

as I under stand it even unlimited plans a record is kept of every message a computer glitch caused this record to be sent to the billing department wich resulted in the bill

(not bad for an educated guess is it)

#47 2009-04-25 02:56:01

LAoW
Completely Blotto

Neitherspace wrote:

well the company said its a glitch and there working to fix it

as I under stand it even unlimited plans a record is kept of every message a computer glitch caused this record to be sent to the billing department wich resulted in the bill

(not bad for an educated guess is it)

Will you PLEASE, PLEASE use some kind of punctuation next time??? I could barely make out what you were trying to say there. I hate punctuation, but even I use it.

And on your thesis of what happened, you are correct in assuming that a record of every message you send/receive is kept. It is quite possible a computer glitch caused the offending bill. Every account has many codes associated with their billing. If a code is left off of the account, then it can cause a massive issue. Take, for instance, our texting issues. If we leave off three simple codes,and the account has nothing associated with these three codes, it is possible that your phone will not be able to send/receive texts, picture messages and access the internet.  Now, if you have an unlimited plan, all we have to do is go back in and add one code and usually, two of these codes disappear (or we remove them manually) and the one for internet stays/is blocked/or you have an internet plan. But the issue is still there in that I am almost certain that the so-called unlimited plan does in fact have a limit. It may be higher than expected and in these gentlemen's case, it may not have been what caused the bill, but I have been told by my higher ups that yes, there is a limit. BLAH!

#48 2009-06-17 05:08:06

LAoW
Completely Blotto

Here it is folks! Tesla was one bad s.o.b. 3dbig_smile

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/143945

#49 2009-06-17 07:41:51

LAoW
Completely Blotto

And yet another one. This one isn't so wonderful.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090616/ap_ … ampionship

I suspect, as I write this from behind my computer (how the hell else could I type this shit up), that one day, society will forget how to interact with people. We will shun the daylight for fear of burning to a crisp. We will become technology vampires! Sucking up all the new, hot phones, tweeting on some website or another, feeding on white hot glare from our screen and the little white ear buds that intravenously provide us with the only sustenance we can handle now. And we will hold contests on who can text the fastest with txt-speak. Fuckers. Technology will be the death of us. Forget fatty foods or drinking alcohol or  smoking cigarettes. It's the fucking plug. Pull it. *takes a long drag off her cigarette and unplugs for a while*

Last edited by LAoW (2009-06-17 07:44:02)

#50 2009-07-01 19:29:48

LAoW
Completely Blotto

Board footer