The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-22 00:06:01

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Chat List Widget Thing

If you look just below the news on the main page of the site, you'll see a box that lists the current chatters in the chat room.  A few points:

1. This depends on a script running in my version of mIRC.  If I'm not logged on, it won't give results.  I will attempt to keep my copy of mIRC open 24/7, but no promises.

2. This widget does no comparison between chat nick and screen name here on the site.  Be aware that unless you have registered your nick with DALnet, anyone can use it.

3. The widget attempts to keep the list updated in real time, but there are always circumstances that can prevent that, such as difficulty communicating between my computer and the website.

4. I will put this on other pages as I have inclination.  If there are specific pages you'd like to see it on, say so.

I hope that this will help make the chat room a more active place.  Oh, and this in no way affects any of the already-established chat rules.  Read them before you enter the chat room, or you will probably find yourself being frequently kicked out.

Eric

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#2 2008-04-22 03:58:04

Imagineer
Wasted

Re: Chat List Widget Thing

Very cool.

#3 2008-04-22 04:08:09

Black Rose
Evil Bar Wench

I agree.  It is super cool.  Thanks a lot for the work you did on the neat widget!

Black Rose

"Being a writer is a very peculiar sort of a job: it's always you versus a blank sheet of paper (or a blank screen) and quite often the blank piece of paper wins." – Neil Gaiman

#4 2008-04-22 05:31:36

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

I like it but is it possible to put it in the top corner next to the title instead of bottom of the navigation bar?

Before you ask the reason is often when I'm chatting I have my browser and mIRC splitting the screen.  If I would not have read that the widget was there I would not have even seen it given its location.  If there are technical reasons preventing this then ignore my request.

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#5 2008-04-22 06:33:54

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Yeah, there is a technical reason.

It would look completely ugly sitting there.

Eric

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#6 2008-04-23 22:40:23

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

In response to Storymaster's request, and because I also felt it was too hard to see the chat list, I have redesigned the front page of the site to bring the chat info front and center.  Yes, this moves the Recent Submissions table down some, but heck, if it's that important to you, you should be getting email updates!  3dbig_smile

Eric

PS: with the requirement that I keep mIRC open, and with mIRC's ability to call a script at a specific time of day, I may rework the site notification system so that it sends out ALL updates at midnight, instead of sending them out when the contributor posts.  Updates would be in digest form (all in one email, in other words), and would include links to the items, which the emails currently do not do.

----
Facebook page

#7 2008-04-24 01:53:26

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

Cool!  Thank you kind sir. 3dsmile

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#8 2008-04-24 02:21:11

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

That'll be $48.50, plus tip.

Eric

----
Facebook page

Board footer