Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#76 2011-06-28 04:11:54

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: Warmth of a Touch

3dsmile

I grew up in a Ford family.  I can't drive, so I honestly don't care, other than that I don't really like Corvettes.

Glad you liked the story, and thanks for the feedback.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#77 2011-06-28 22:36:45

aces8998
Inebriated

i grew up in a ford family as well plus i owned a cobra so that one holds a specal place

(posted from the Item Information Page)

#78 2011-08-15 14:01:19

Flamewolf
Inebriated

You are one hell of a writer. I love the story. Please keep writing. I love the whole Indian spirit ideal. And I loved the whole love and romance,

(posted from Chapter 15)

#79 2012-08-28 03:12:38

Bluster
Tipsy

Loved it, good work as always.

(posted from the Item Information Page)

#80 2012-08-28 06:55:23

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Thanks.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#81 2012-12-19 09:40:38

robin42069
Tipsy

good book.i enjoyed it.

(posted from Chapter 15)

#82 2015-11-03 01:58:43

Rescue25
Wasted

WOW !!  That was quite a trip.  As usual well written and very enjoyable.  The surprise ending was - well - a surprise AND very nice.  Thanks for the ride.

B

(posted from Chapter 15)

#83 2015-11-03 02:49:53

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Glad you enjoyed it.  This was my favorite of my works for the longest time.  I've always felt the response to it was a little disappointing, so I'm always happy when I hear someone liked it.

Thanks for the feedback,
Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#84 2018-06-24 23:38:46

DaveGrous
Inebriated

Excellent story I hope you have more to add too it or was that it?

(posted from Chapter 15)

#85 2018-06-25 18:57:14

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Glad you enjoyed the story.

As to whether there is more to add:  The story status is marked as "(Serial / Novel - Completed)".  The last updated date is in 2015.  (Even that is misleading.  I finished writing this story before 2005...)

So, no, there is no more to this story.  It is completely finished.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#86 2018-11-17 18:09:38

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

If you think I'm letting you off that easy," she said, still somewhat breathlessly, "you've got another thing coming!
The tail end of this concept is:"you've got another think coming."
I have seen this phrasing used in a number of your works the same way.

(posted from Chapter 12)

#87 2018-11-17 19:11:11

xanbalest
Inebriated

They are both technically correct, thing being more grammatically correct while think is historically the original word used in the phrase, despite being considered, today at least, ungrammatical as all frell

#88 2018-11-17 21:03:23

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

As far as I'm aware, think is in no way grammatically incorrect in this phrase, it's just awkward for modern speech.

However, to the original point:  You might notice that this is given in dialogue.  For every one person you find who says, "another think coming," I'm willing to bet I can find about ten thousand who will say, "another thing coming."  Therefore, since this is attempting to replicate modern speech, and not the exactness of the idiom, my way is the right way for it to be written in the scene.  Dialogue should mimic the character.  Unless the character makes a point of linguistic exactitude, your dialogue shouldn't, either.

Now, before you go digging up someplace I've used this when it has been in narration: I personally prefer the "another thing coming" version of the phrase myself, and so will continue to use that.  Its meaning is clear and well-understood, which is really the only thing that actually matters.  That we do not utter the expression the same way it was originally coined is, when it comes right down to it, completely irrelevant.

Eric Storm

Addendum:  I just looked "think" up in the Merriam Webster Online Dictionary.  Think is still accepted as having a noun form, which is what would be intended in the "another think coming" version of this phrase.  Thus, it is not grammatically incorrect, just slightly weird, for modern English.

----
Facebook page

#89 2018-11-18 03:49:41

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

I apologize for sending the criticism in open forum, I was intending it to be private  but missed the selection before submitting.

Thanks for the acknowledgement and explanation.

#90 2018-11-18 08:07:54

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

No worries about the public criticism, so long as you didn't mind the public response... 3dsmile

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#91 2020-01-01 20:46:07

Billybob1969
Tipsy

Loved the story flowed along gracefully. The sex wasn't over done like some of the stories you read. It was a shame it ended but all good things end.

(posted from Chapter 15)

#92 2020-09-16 20:06:54

kojak1818
Inebriated

As usual, this brilliant author has outdone not only all others in his field, by being the most talented, and imaginative I've had the pleasure of enjoying in over 70 years.

(posted from Chapter 15)

#93 2021-10-19 23:58:06

howard
Inebriated

Love the story, just one minor  point:

In Chapter 11: "Anyway, I did my usual big-brother routine on her, and, well... we did eventually get together. That's about it. I miss her. Here I am, girls literally waiting at my beckon call, and I want something I can't have. Have I grown so... I don't even know the word... am I so screwed up as that?"

seewww.grammarly.com/blog/beck-and-call-or-beckon-call/

#94 2021-10-20 05:34:31

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

While I don't mind the correction (which I already knew about, just haven't wasted the time to fix yet)...

NEVER cite Grammarly to me.  Grammarly is Evil.

I find it funny, though.  This story gets very few comments, but the one time it gets a comment, is right after I have just finished reading it!  3droll  Sheesh.  3dsmile

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#95 2021-10-20 05:43:36

ChiefRock
Wasted

Warmth does not leave a lot of feathers ruffled requiring comment. That said Eric it is an extremely well written and entertaining piece. I am sorry it received little comment it should rank up with your better work

My worst day at sea is better than my best day ashore
I found a home in the navy-but they land airplanes on my roof

#96 2021-10-20 10:05:52

bigfoot
Wasted

If I'm being honest, it is probably my 2nd favorite Eric Storm story (after WA). Everything just works.

#97 2021-10-20 16:45:44

dustbunny
Tipsy

Eric Storm wrote:

NEVER cite Grammarly to me.  Grammarly is Evil.

Not to start anything, and I have no dog in this hunt, but can I ask why this is? Never having used it myself, I'm curious.

#98 2021-10-20 20:36:00

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Grammarly basically encourages people to not bother learning to write properly.  It also enforces "rules" that aren't really rules, but suggestions... not to mention that fiction authors, especially, regularly violate the rules of grammar intentionally, for dramatic effect.

No computerized system can really tell you how to write properly.  The English language is more like a set of exceptions than it is a set of rules, but no computer can recognize that properly.

In any case, I consider all of these such "grammar checkers" to be a bad idea.  Hell, even something as simple as a spellchecker gets it wrong a significant fraction of the time, thanks to the eccentricity of the language.  And grammar is significantly more complicated than spelling.

As to the original issue in question ('beckon call' vs. 'beck and call'), while I acknowledge that the historical version is 'beck and call', it is my assertion that it is perhaps time to update it to 'beckon call'.  Why?  Because 'beck' is used in only one place in the language anymore: this phrase.  And the word "beck" means... "beckon".  Thus the phrase doesn't particularly change meaning, while removing a now-useless word from the language.

This, of course, has little to do with Grammarly, and more my desire to clean up the language a bit here and there, without getting radical.  You know, not like suddenly and arbitrarily creating a rule that you can't end a sentence with a preposition, or that gender neutrality should suddenly be delegated to the male pronouns rather than the plural ones (both of those things happened, btw...)

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#99 2021-10-21 01:46:33

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

I use Grammarly rather extensively to point out POSSIBLE issues, but I frequently tell it to ignore something because its grammar rules don't recognize the situation that it is objecting to.
E.g. one of my games has a singular item with a plural name; wanna guess how many times it tries to correct it when I'm on Facebook?
Another example, which can show up in Eric's work: internal conversations -- AKA stream-of-consciousness writing. Throw ALL rules out the window when dealing with that type of writing because SOC just does not play well with grammar rules.
Note, my name is in a published book in the acknowledgements due to the amount of time that I spent with that author trying to teach him how to correct some of the true grammar issues in his writing. I had to research the issues to find references for instructing him.

Last edited by darthel0101 (2021-10-21 13:27:20)

#100 2021-10-21 04:57:34

ChiefRock
Wasted

Yet --like me--Darthel, just how many creative books have you published? My point is , like me your criticisms Need to be taken with a grain of salt. Eric is perfectly capable of this--sometimes he is brutal about it. Just be careful and thick skinned about it

My worst day at sea is better than my best day ashore
I found a home in the navy-but they land airplanes on my roof

Board footer