The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-01 07:01:36

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

A Look Back, and A Look Forward: 2007/2008

Well, The Pub has its first year under its belt, and things didn't go too badly.  We had a few problems along the way, what with losing a couple contributors, but we have also gained a few, and the site is growing steadily.

Currently, we have 13 contributors, both authors and artists.  We have 1,851 members, and that number is steadily increasing.

Thanks to the help of several members, the site is paid for up until October of this year.  The site owner is quite grateful for the help with the site, and the help with his personal finances.

I'm sure that by now, all of you have seen the "A Storm is Coming" message somewhere.  It might seem a lot of hype for what it amounts to, but...

I am changing my name from Net Wolf to Eric Storm.  The old name simply does not fit who I am anymore.  In my first decade of writing, I have had several different pen names.  I believe that I will finish out my writing career as Eric Storm; the name is one I have been using for various things for over five years now, and I honestly wish that it was my real name.  If you see me in chat or on IM, please feel free to refer to me as Eric.  (If you slip and call me Net, I will still respond.  For a while.  3dsmile )

There is another kind of storm that has arrived, as well.  A storm of site updates.  The following items have already been added:

Contributor Recommendation page - the place to tell us who you'd like to see posting at The Pub.  This can be found in two places on the Main Menu, and also in the User Tools section.  You may make up to five suggestions per month: your choices will be reset at the start of every month, and the results of the recommendations will be used to start the process of choosing new contributors to the site.
Item Recommendation System - though this system has been asking for input for a year now, it will now give you feedback when you do give your opinion.  When you give your opinion of an item, it will show you five recommended items.  The more items you give an opinion on, the better this system will work.  You may also obtain recommendations by looking under Site Content on the site's main menu.  Please note that, if there are more than five items that the site can recommend to you, it will choose from that list randomly, so you may not see the same recommendations every time you load the page.
The Guardian Society has been reborn, and it has its own site.  Check the main menu of the website, or just go here: The Guardian Society.
A "Hardcopy Fund" has been introduced.  This fund is designed for those who wish to have a printed version of CAMP: Ron's Journey.  There is more information about this fund in the FAQ. Hardcopy Fund Explained
Additional Pre-Release Material from Corvis has been added to the PRM section.

Furthermore, there will be other additions to the site that will be made in the coming days and weeks.  They are as follows:

Weekly updates to the Drink of the Week.
A new crossword puzzle weekly, based on one of the stories here at The Pub.
A new Flash game every week.
Recipe Section - so you can share your favorite recipes with the Pub community.  This is over half-done already, and should be finished in a few days.
A new recipe at least once a week (once the recipe section is finished, of course.)
Flea Market - have some junk you want to get rid of?  We'll give you a place to post an ad for it.  (Handling the money is between you and the seller: we don't have anything to do with the actual transaction, we're just a "newspaper".)
"The Pub for Dummies", a help manual for the website, is in its final editing stage, and should be done in less than a week.
For authors: A utility program that will allow you to compare the average heights of people of different ages.  (This lets you know if that 13-year-old should be standing on a box to screw his teacher or not!  3dbig_smile )
For authors: A name-generation utility that takes nationality into account.  Thus, you can ask for a Hungarian name, or a Japanese name, rather than completely random names.  Contributors to the site will be able to "reserve" names, so that those names will never be suggested for use.

Once these projects are complete, I will be looking for more things to add.  I would like to try to focus on helping authors this year, with utilities that will enable them to produce better stories, but that you just can't seem to find elsewhere.  If you have any thoughts or requests, please let me know.

It is my hope that 2008 will be at least as good as 2007 was, and hopefully even better.  I expect to add at least ten new contributors to The Pub this year.  I'd like to see us break 3000 members by the end of the year.  I'd like to see the Hardcopy Fund reach its goal, and I'd like to meet our donation goal each month.

On a more personal note, I'd like to actually get some freakin' writing done.  I did not meet my personal writing quota in 2007, and I'm sure my readers noticed.  I would like to actually be able to make my quota this year. 

Concerning my stories, I have reconsidered the path that Justice Seven will take, and it is no longer going to be a sixteen-episode "first season".  It will be a single, somewhat longer, story.  I will be pulling Warmth of a Touch out of the Pre-Release Materials and posting it, one chapter a week, to the site. 

As another one of my goals, I would like to re-activate one of my oldest unfinished stories, A Mother's Slavery.  I'd like to make it at least halfway to its conclusion by the end of the year.

Other than those goals, I would just like to make some progress.

I hope that everyone enjoyed their visits to The Mystic Wolf Pub in 2007, and I hope that you will come back even more often in 2008.

Sincerely,
Eric Storm,
your webmaster

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#2 2008-01-01 08:30:50

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

Re: A Look Back, and A Look Forward: 2007/2008

Eric Storm would make a great irl name, But i still think Greg Killmaster has the coolest sir name ever (he works for ILM)
sounds like a lot of stuff is coming to this site i look forward to it

btw i just went in and changed nw to Eric storm in the article mentioning you that Ace found on wikipedea

Last edited by Neitherspace (2008-01-01 08:41:11)

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#3 2008-01-02 06:44:08

bleme
Inebriated

I know that I'm fairly new to the site, but I love what I am seeing so far. Keep up the great work.

On a side note, I've had to friends with REALLY cool rl names: Rick Studly and Stormy Wynter Snow.

#4 2008-01-02 07:44:53

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

lol awesome rl names needs its own thread

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#5 2008-01-04 07:26:56

advancewar
Wasted

well i will miss net wolf but i think ill like eric just as much 3dsmile  so i will be the first to say it ( i think )                  eric i love your stories and hope to see more in a long carier ( i continue to fail at spelling, forgive me )
good luck in your future writing

life=books

#6 2008-01-11 00:34:49

triton
Inebriated

That all sounds really great 3dsmile  I think your new name is cool too.  Thank you for going to so much effort for us, Mr. Storm.

#7 2008-01-21 23:12:33

Mysterious
Tipsy

Great work with the site Eric! Hope you keep up the great work!

Mysterious

Death is lighter than a feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain

Board footer