The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#26 2008-12-13 02:38:57

Black Rose
Evil Bar Wench

Re: EWPUB is down due to domain expiration.

It was down for quite a while last year before Julian was prodded enough to renew the domain, wasn't it?  But if it really is gone for good, I sincerely hope he warned people first.  But knowing Julian I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't bother to have the courtesy to inform the authors that they needed to find a new home.

Black Rose

"Being a writer is a very peculiar sort of a job: it's always you versus a blank sheet of paper (or a blank screen) and quite often the blank piece of paper wins." – Neil Gaiman

#27 2008-12-13 03:03:28

XW
Tipsy

My feelings are that EWP is gone for good.   It'd be nice to know for sure.

Not only is the domain expired, but the server it was hosted on (69.60.116.253) is not pinging, and no longer serving up web pages.

XW

MacOS X - Making Unix user-friendly is easier than fixing Windows.

#28 2008-12-13 03:35:10

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

According to the dates on last year's posts, BR, EWP was only gone from 12/3 to 12/5 of '07.  It is now 12/12... a week longer than last year, so far.

Eric

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#29 2008-12-13 04:29:11

WarLord
Wasted
Website

Black Rose wrote:

It was down for quite a while last year before Julian was prodded enough to renew the domain, wasn't it?  But if it really is gone for good, I sincerely hope he warned people first.  But knowing Julian I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't bother to have the courtesy to inform the authors that they needed to find a new home.

Greetings

Nope, no warning to the authors who still had stories on EWP nor any type of heads up to readers. 

Not exactly the best in goodwill building department 3dwink

Last edited by WarLord (2008-12-13 04:29:34)

"A scrupulous writer, in every sentence that he writes, will ask himself at least four questions, thus: 1. What am I trying to say? 2. What words will express it? 3. What image or idiom will make it clearer? 4. Is this image fresh enough to have an effect?" - George Orwell, Politics and the English Language, 1946

#30 2008-12-13 04:32:03

Khellendros
Inebriated

I partially got in touch with him...He seems to not have the money to keep paying for the site. I assume he decided not to bother to tell anyone he was closing 'shop'.

He hasn't really gotten back to me though.

#31 2008-12-13 15:28:44

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Gee, what happened to his hundreds of dollars in donations every month?

And unless he's talking hosting fees, he's feeding you a load of crap.  Domain registration costs less than $10 a year.  Hosting costs vary widely, and I seem to recall they were using a smaller hosting service, with a semi-private server, and it was far more expensive than it needed to be.  You guys managed to pay for two full years of hosting and an extra year of domain registration in a single month of donations here, so it's really not all THAT hard to do...

That is, if you're competent and take an active interest in the community you're hosting, which kind of rules Julian out...

Eric

PS: Before anyone says it:  Yes, it WILL cost him more than $10 to get the domain back NOW.  But his domain registrar would have contacted him ages ago to let him know that the domain was going to expire, so he had plenty of time to pay the normal price for it.

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#32 2008-12-14 04:01:57

advancewar
Wasted

um justa  thought woulld it be posible for somone else to take over the site as it was or would they need julian s permition. cus id like to see it stay there are still many good authors there. if it isnt posible can somone  see if hed be willing to give it too  somone willing to take on the responsability for it. i would and i think ther would be other people willing too. ttyl

life=books

#33 2008-12-14 04:06:51

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Why the hell won't you let this dead horse DIE?  The site was dead when *I* gave it up three years ago.  It has only gone downhill since then.  There is a time when you have to admit that the project doesn't work, and just let go.

Eric

----
Facebook page

#34 2008-12-14 04:08:53

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

Best bet, write to your favorite authors who were THERE but are not HERE and see if you they are willing to COME here! Then you get your favorite authors, their best stories AND a site that is reliable, friendly, etc. etc.. etc.....

#35 2008-12-14 16:38:15

unknown1000u2
Inebriated

Everyone who writes me asking where to go to read my stories I've been referring here.  That's why I'm hurrying to post MG 1 here without the re-editing, so I can get 2 and 3 posted.  Some people just can't afford to get on SOL, and besides, it doesn't have a forum like here.  Now, if we could just get more people using the forum...

#36 2008-12-14 16:52:20

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

unknown1000u2 wrote:

Some people just can't afford to get on SOL

Huh?

Yes if you get a premier account you get more functionality but the free account can access 99% of the site.  Only limitations as far as I know is less stories you can access in a single day and a reduced story search function.  If a person knows who they are looking for or just watch the New Stories and Updated Stories sections SOL works just fine for free.

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#37 2008-12-14 18:47:42

advancewar
Wasted

i apologize eric but i dont belive that ewp is "dead" with a good admin ( no offence intended toward eric) and somone that wants to put work into it, it could become a good site again. also there are many authors that no longer post at all and i still liked        re reading there stories.  if i have offended anyone by expressing the opinion that i would like to TRY to make it work then im sorry. i enjoy being able to switch from site to site  and that was still a main site i liked to visit. have a good day

life=books

#38 2008-12-14 18:49:03

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

"reduced" story search function.  That's a polite way to say it.

How about "nonexistent" story search function?   One page of results is NOT what I call a search function.

I'm sure the numbers for SOL are incredibly high, but I'd love to know just exactly how much bandwidth he's really using a month.

Eric

----
Facebook page

#39 2008-12-14 18:54:49

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

The only way EWP could become a "good site again" is for it to not be the site it was, which would mean it was a new site, so why bother with the old one?

The infrastructure at EWP was already breaking down... Authors have told me they were having difficulties even posting stories.  This is not surprising, since the infrastructure needed revamping on the day *I* left, and Julian et al never did get a new version up.

As to the old, non-posting authors...  well, you should have saved a copy of them to your hard drive.  I don't think I have a copy of my old EWP stuff, and I wouldn't have the authority to redistribute any of it, anyway.

No offense taken if you think I'm not a good admin... no one makes you come here... 3dtongue

Eric

----
Facebook page

#40 2008-12-15 03:46:55

nightsecho
Wasted

on sol i never under stood the limited searches or the limit of 50 before needing a paid account exspecialy(sp?) when you can go to an authors page and see everyone of their stories

and theres even a limit to how many stories you can read with a pay account thats stupid if i'm paying for the site i want unlimited access

and ewp was dead at least for me i think at most i've read 1 sory since julian took over but i still check everyday (i'm a sucker for punishment i guess 3dsmile  )

looking at you with wide eyes from the darkness

#41 2008-12-15 04:48:53

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

At least you get to look at the cute chick with the backpack now... 3dbig_smile

Eric

----
Facebook page

#42 2008-12-18 04:19:25

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

maybe you should snipe it Eric and link it to here

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#43 2008-12-18 06:09:01

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I wouldn't just redirect to here.  But I have considered re-registering it and explaining to visitors where it went, rather than people having to wonder.

But that would kinda be up to you guys, since you'd have to pay for it.  My current living situation is turning out to be more expensive than anticipated, so I don't know how much spending money I'll have.

Eric

----
Facebook page

#44 2008-12-18 06:19:51

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

id do it through go daddy since there doing that 1 dollar a month domain register atm

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#45 2008-12-18 16:18:23

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I don't know what you're talking about as far as $1 / mo. goes, there's nothing on their website about it...

But we're not talking about hosting here.  The web hosting I've already got is capable of handling multiple domain names.  We're talking about registering a domain... something that is only done by years, not by months.  The actual cost is between $9 and $10 a year per domain name.  (Hey, I didn't say you'd have to pay a LOT, now did I?  3dsmile  )

Eric

----
Facebook page

#46 2008-12-22 05:52:43

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

Eric Storm wrote:

At this point, I'm beginning to think it's gone for good.  It's been down for a full week, with no signs of life.

Eric

2 weeks

id say its defiantly gone Juliann if your reading this gratz of finally killing it you moron

Eric Storm wrote:

I don't know what you're talking about as far as $1 / mo. goes, there's nothing on their website about it...

But we're not talking about hosting here.  The web hosting I've already got is capable of handling multiple domain names.  We're talking about registering a domain... something that is only done by years, not by months.  The actual cost is between $9 and $10 a year per domain name.  (Hey, I didn't say you'd have to pay a LOT, now did I?  3dsmile  )

Eric

um...its on there home page its 6.99 to score the url if im reading this right

Last edited by Neitherspace (2008-12-22 05:54:57)

#47 2008-12-22 06:33:08

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Okay, I see your confusion now.

Keep in mind, when a registrar says ".com domain registration"... they mean, literally domains ending in .com.  If you look on the same page, .org registration has actually increased in price (I didn't know this until I just looked) to $15 a year plus ICANN fee (which has been 20¢ up till now... not sure if it has changed...)

So, registering ewpub.org will cost $15 if we grab it after it is available.  It will cost $19 to put it on "backorder", which is basically a process whereby GoDaddy would watch for that domain to become available and grab it as quickly as they could.

Just thought I'd clarify all that.

Eric

----
Facebook page

#48 2008-12-22 20:17:33

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

DOH
i forgot ewpub was .org my bad

#49 2008-12-23 22:57:17

Yellow Snow
Inebriated

When I first started writing, I appreciated the opportunity to be able to post and get actual feedback (that wasn't anonymous) on ewp. Thankfully I was given the chance to move when Eric moved. I think it is kind of lousy to just drop a site without warning to the authors and readers that frequent the site, but c'est la vie. I think ewp should be allowed to die, even in the undignified way it appears to have taken. I am more than happy to have my meager contributions posted on this site.

If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for that day, if you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#50 2008-12-24 03:57:21

CSquared
Wasted

Well, it does kind of mark the end of an era, doesn't it.  I noticed that my link to it mentioned that V.4 never got released, so I decided to check and see if it ever had been.  I suppose I'll just remove my link, now.  I've better things to put in its place, anyway.

CSquared

Board footer