The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#26 2007-10-11 07:36:21

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

Re: I am an introvert.

Net Wolf wrote:

I don't think anyone who could seriously score a 100 would do anything so social as to tell us about it.  3dbig_smile

Net Wolf

I think Imagineer is a perfectionist. Being an introvert is something he does well. He just wants to be recognized as one of the best at what he does.

You're doing fine, Imagineer. Daddy Net Wolf and Unca Jefferson are very proud of you. 3dsmile Keep up the good work. We know you did your best.

#27 2007-10-11 16:44:23

Imagineer
Wasted

As the Internet has become mainstream, it has also become more extroverted. The old Internet of email and discussion forums and "permanent reference" websites is still around, but it's been overshadowed by instant messaging, blogging, YouTube vlogging, and MySpace networking -- a great big think-out-loud running-commentary look-at-me let's-share-ourselves personality accessory that better suits the gregarious spontaneous nature of most people.

That's not to say introverts don't use any of that stuff, but of course we do it differently... as anyone who's spent time in the Pub chatroom knows 3dsmile

As for perfectionism, guilty as charged. I am a perfectionist, and I suck at it.

Last edited by Imagineer (2007-10-11 16:45:13)

#28 2007-10-11 18:40:38

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I was just about to say, until I got to the end of your message, Imagineer, that while that stuff exists, most introverts don't actively participate in it.  We sit quietly by and watch the extroverts make fools of themselves for our amusement.  3dsmile

It is true that the Internet has become more all-encompassing... but I think that you'll still find a separation in behaviors between introverts and extroverts, as you point out.  Also, you find that introverts tend to be a little less introverted when there is a monitor and several (hundred) miles of cable between them.  I think it is partially the anonymity, partially the safety of knowing that at any moment they can terminate interaction by simply clicking a button... but I also think it's because the act of typing gives them the opportunity to consider their words before they commit them to the conversation.

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#29 2007-10-12 04:22:55

Corvis
Inebriated

Net Wolf wrote:

I was just about to say, until I got to the end of your message, Imagineer, that while that stuff exists, most introverts don't actively participate in it.  We sit quietly by and watch the extroverts make fools of themselves for our amusement.  3dsmile

It is true that the Internet has become more all-encompassing... but I think that you'll still find a separation in behaviors between introverts and extroverts, as you point out.  Also, you find that introverts tend to be a little less introverted when there is a monitor and several (hundred) miles of cable between them.  I think it is partially the anonymity, partially the safety of knowing that at any moment they can terminate interaction by simply clicking a button... but I also think it's because the act of typing gives them the opportunity to consider their words before they commit them to the conversation.

Net Wolf

And I still manage to stick my foot in my mouth up to the knee sometimes.  3dsmile

#30 2007-10-15 18:50:03

TheNStorm
Inebriated

A question: has anyone studied the Jung test? If so, what did they think?

I'm personally the INTP type, leaning a bit toward INTJ.

Forever life confuses me

#31 2007-10-15 19:38:35

WarLord
Wasted
Website

Imagineer wrote:

I wonder, are the dominant themes of the writings housed here more appealing or especially appealing to introverts? For example, is mind control more an introvert thing than an extrovert thing?

Greetings

Interesting thread

Is the internet for introverts or is it a place that extroverts go after the bars close to plan their next wild debauchery?

The question is about mind control and I'm not clear how wanting "control" fits either the intro/extro spectrum.

My wish to be a great mage who controls the very forces of nature...

Introvert wanting to be left alone or Extrovert looking for the greatest stage of all?

I dunno it exactly fits either

Enjoy the journey

Warlord

"A scrupulous writer, in every sentence that he writes, will ask himself at least four questions, thus: 1. What am I trying to say? 2. What words will express it? 3. What image or idiom will make it clearer? 4. Is this image fresh enough to have an effect?" - George Orwell, Politics and the English Language, 1946

#32 2007-10-15 20:52:45

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Mind control is, generally speaking, a "socially unsuccessful person" thing, which is why you rarely see heroes in MC books who are the president of the student council or the CEO of a corporation (though it has occasionally been done)

Having said that, it is more an introvert thing than an extrovert thing, in that introverts are more likely to be socially unsuccessful.  (Of course, a full-on introvert won't CARE that s/he's socially unsuccessful... 3dsmile )

So, MC is an "introvert who sometimes wishes s/he were an extrovert" thing.  3dsmile

Just my $1.50 (inflation, don't ya know?)
Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#33 2007-10-15 22:33:36

Imagineer
Wasted

The movie I'm watching strikes me as one for introverts: "The Legend of 1900."

#34 2007-10-23 21:42:35

J.A.W.
Inebriated

Net Wolf wrote:

You did not use and to link two ACTIONS in your original statement.  You used it to link a TRAIT with an ACTION.  It is considered, in any normal person's thinking, that when you link a trait and an action, in the same sentence, with the word "and", that the trait CAUSES the action.

Ah, I see where you're coming from now.  I do consider things like "introvert," "artistic," and "caring" to be actions that are functionally different from traits like "beautiful," "fair skinned," and "long haired."  Certainly the phrase "She had long hair and slept poorly" would mean to me that she most likely slept poorly because of the long hair -- the two terms being functionally different.  Yes, I definitely could have stated that more clearly.

Board footer