The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-24 17:02:55

Imagineer
Wasted

I am an introvert.

And that's... okay.

The article "Caring for Your Introvert" is over four years old now, but it's worth revisiting. I have personally reached a level of reclusion and hermitage that has made introvert abuse mostly a thing of the past for me, but I'm sure there are many others out there who are still suffering. Perhaps the article can help.

"Remember, someone you know, respect, and interact with every day is an introvert, and you are probably driving this person nuts."

If any place I've been to on the Internet seems like it might be a hangout for introverts, this would be it. If you're an introvert, you might find reading "Caring for Your Introvert" a powerful self-affirmation. At the very least, it'll probably be amusing.

(There are at least two follow-up articles linked from the original.)

#2 2007-09-25 01:09:01

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

Re: I am an introvert.

I'm one too.  Introverts of the world unit!

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#3 2007-09-25 21:59:27

J.A.W.
Inebriated

Just don't go overboard you introverts.  Both my parents are introverts, and they forced introverted behavior on me even though I'm naturally an extrovert.  This ended up causing significant behavioral and psychological problems which I'm still dealing with.

#4 2007-09-26 02:01:06

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

I'm just curious how does one "force" introverted behavior on someone?

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#5 2007-09-26 06:17:37

Black Rose
Evil Bar Wench

Ground them?

Black Rose

"Being a writer is a very peculiar sort of a job: it's always you versus a blank sheet of paper (or a blank screen) and quite often the blank piece of paper wins." – Neil Gaiman

#6 2007-09-29 04:07:47

J.A.W.
Inebriated

Storymaster69 wrote:

I'm just curious how does one "force" introverted behavior on someone?

The same you force any other sort of behavior on someone (like, say, wearing clothes).  By telling someone over and over that their actions are incorrect.

"You're moving your hands / head / body / face too much."

"People don't want to hear you talk."

"Don't laugh so loud."

"You can't possibly enjoy being in that large a group."

"I don't want to talk.  Here's a book."

"Being alone helps you get in touch with yourself."

"You can do fine without me around."

"You're being clingy."

"You need to be more independent."

All in response to perfectly ordinary and average behavior.

Last edited by J.A.W. (2007-09-29 04:46:12)

#7 2007-09-29 09:31:19

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Okay, speaking as an introvert to the point of psychological disorder...  Most of those are NOT introvert responses to extroverts.  Most introverts don't object to people talking or dominating the conversation.  In fact, they usually appreciate it, because it takes the burden off of them.  What you are describing, I'm not sure what the psychological description would be, but it isn't simply introversion.

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#8 2007-09-29 23:53:41

J.A.W.
Inebriated

Of course they aren't introverted responses.  They're an attempt to teach introverted (i.e. "proper" to an introvert) behavior.

Of course, my parents aren't the only reason I adopted introverted behavior.  They did, however, reinforce that behavior to a pathological degree.

Last edited by J.A.W. (2007-09-29 23:55:56)

#9 2007-09-30 02:33:49

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

... I will repeat: this is not introverted behavior.  Introverts do not teach introversion.  The very NOTION of an introvert attempting to force introversion on another denies the very idea of introversion, which is a focus on one's OWN mental life.

Also, so far as I know, most introverts do not consider their behavior "more proper" than extroverts.  Usually it is simply "How I am."

I do not deny there is some kind of psychological dysfunction going on, but what you are describing is not the result of simple introversion.  Your parents had some reason (be it valid or not) for trying to "contain" you, but these were not the actions of a mere introvert, who is more likely to simply 1) listen to you talk and say very little, or 2) tell you to go away and leave them alone.  Any normal introvert is NOT going to say to you the things you quoted.  Yes, following that advice would make you appear introverted, but it is NOT the act of an introvert to try to turn you into one, which was my point.  You were blaming their behavior on their introversion, but being an introvert would militate directly AGAINST trying to change someone this way, so there is something else at work.

In other words, you're blaming the problem on the wrong syndrome.  I would suggest to you that your parents would have pushed you to behave exactly like them regardless of whether they were introverts, extroverts, or perverts.  3dsmile

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#10 2007-10-02 03:42:19

SlaveMaster
Wasted

http://www.okcupid.com/tests/take?testi … 9986668519 this is a test to see which you are I'm 51% introvert and 49% extrovert

Welcome to The Mystic Wolf Pub

#11 2007-10-02 20:35:55

J.A.W.
Inebriated

Net Wolf wrote:

I do not deny there is some kind of psychological dysfunction going on, but what you are describing is not the result of simple introversion.

I never claimed it was.  I said

1)  My parents are both introverts.

2)  They forced (although "pushed" would probably be a better term) introverted behavior on me.

If I thought 2) was the result of 1) my first statement would have been pointless.  Rather 2) results from general (though not universal) human behavior.  Since 2) has created so many problems in my life I felt the need to say what I did.

#12 2007-10-02 21:45:25

nightsecho
Wasted

here's mine

Your Score: Very IntrovertedCongratulations! You scored 79!

You prefer your own company or that of your partner's. You don't have many friends, but the ones you do are the kind that are loyal. You're always misunderstood as being grumpy, but often it's that you simply don't care to talk. If people constantly question your mood, it can actually make you grumpy and you wish they'd stop asking if you're okay. Ideally, you'd prefer to be in a vocation where you can work alone. A quiet night with a book, movie or computer is preferable to going out and battling with a crowd of people lined up at the popular nightspot in town. You're a deep thinker and thrive on analysing life, current events and your own original views. You're mature for your age. If financially viable, you'd rather live alone (or with significant other) and don't like many visitors. Compared to an extrovert, you're cooler and probably less neurotic. You can be trusted with a secret. Change is probably something that you don't embrace a lot, as you prefer familiar and routine. You won't have nearly as many jobs as an extrovert. They get bored easily. I like you.

looking at you with wide eyes from the darkness

#13 2007-10-02 22:23:34

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

J.A.W.

You said, and I quote:

J.A.W. wrote:

Just don't go overboard you introverts.  Both my parents are introverts, and they forced introverted behavior on me even though I'm naturally an extrovert.  This ended up causing significant behavioral and psychological problems which I'm still dealing with.

Your first sentence implies that it was their introversion that was the cause of this behavior.  Your statement very clearly links the problem to your parents being introverted.  It was a basic "cause and effect" statement, which reads like, "My parents were introverted, and that caused them to treat me like this..."  Had you not intended these two statements to be united in this cause-and-effect manner, you should not have used the conjunction "and" to join them together.

Your assertion that, and I quote, "If I thought 2) was the result of 1) my first statement would have been pointless..."  is spurious reasoning at best.  For your comment to make any sense, you would have to point out that your parents are introverts, since you were telling introverts not to go overboard, and then pointing out that a pair of introverts (your parents) had gone overboard... thus leading us back to the whole cause-and-effect scenario, since you are warning introverts, and not society as a whole, not to mimic this behavior, thus implying that it is introversion that caused the problem, and not, as you later stipulate, "human behavior".

For an introvert to "go overboard" would, in fact, be for them to become a recluse... which I imagine would have been just fine with you, had that been what your parents had done, since then they wouldn't have given a rat's ass what you were doing one way or the other.

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#14 2007-10-03 01:45:23

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

Ha I got 83

You prefer your own company or that of your partner's. You don't have many friends, but the ones you do are the kind that are loyal. You're always misunderstood as being grumpy, but often it's that you simply don't care to talk. If people constantly question your mood, it can actually make you grumpy and you wish they'd stop asking if you're okay. Ideally, you'd prefer to be in a vocation where you can work alone. A quiet night with a book, movie or computer is preferable to going out and battling with a crowd of people lined up at the popular nightspot in town. You're a deep thinker and thrive on analysing life, current events and your own original views. You're mature for your age. If financially viable, you'd rather live alone (or with significant other) and don't like many visitors. Compared to an extrovert, you're cooler and probably less neurotic. You can be trusted with a secret. Change is probably something that you don't embrace a lot, as you prefer familiar and routine. You won't have nearly as many jobs as an extrovert. They get bored easily. I like you.

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#15 2007-10-03 02:24:56

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I scored an 87.  The commentary read the same as Storymaster's.

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#16 2007-10-03 02:35:07

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

I wonder how much higher a person could seriously score and still be willing to communicate online?

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#17 2007-10-03 04:07:04

SlaveMaster
Wasted

You're a quiet person, but not too quiet. You like your own company at times, but don't mind the company of others. Ideally, a few people is better than a lot in most situations. You'd be well suited to living in a small town and can easily handle living on your own. You know how to have a good time, but also know how to enjoy a good book. While a night on the town can be enjoyed, you don't like to go out all the time. One can get too much of a good thing. You can be irritated by extroverts sometimes. Especially if they talk a lot about non-consequential things or other people. You can sometimes be misunderstood for being grumpy and some extroverts find you a little aloof. You're probably relatively happy in who you are although something can always be improved upon.

Welcome to The Mystic Wolf Pub

#18 2007-10-03 04:45:37

Black Rose
Evil Bar Wench

*waves from the land of the Very Introverted* 
It's a large land with a lot of space between houses. And very few outside entertainments.  Everybody orders in.

Black Rose

"Being a writer is a very peculiar sort of a job: it's always you versus a blank sheet of paper (or a blank screen) and quite often the blank piece of paper wins." – Neil Gaiman

#19 2007-10-09 23:04:22

J.A.W.
Inebriated

While I have to admit I don't get NetWolf's viewpoint at all.  I admit that my original comment had been clearer if I had quoted the "Introverts of the world unit!" comment in the previous post.  In spite of what I've been told elsewhere I obviously need to do more quoting, not less.

As for the other comment -- would you interpret "He was sleeping, and wearing socks," as he was wearing socks because he was sleeping?  If so, how do you distinguish a coequal list from a causative link?  Personally, if I was indicating a causative I'd write something like "He was sleeping, and therefore wearing socks."  A simple "and" says nothing about causation to me one way or another.

Last edited by J.A.W. (2007-10-09 23:05:11)

#20 2007-10-10 03:43:36

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Well, consider yourself unique, then.  The situation you describe is not the same as your original remark, and quite frankly, it sounds like you're simply doing whatever you can at this point not to be seen as losing the argument.

You did not use and to link two ACTIONS in your original statement.  You used it to link a TRAIT with an ACTION.  It is considered, in any normal person's thinking, that when you link a trait and an action, in the same sentence, with the word "and", that the trait CAUSES the action.  Otherwise, why were they in the same sentence, given that a sentence is supposed to express a SINGLE THOUGHT.  If, in your sentence, part A did not, in fact, lead to part B, then they should never have been in the same sentence at all.

I don't understand why you find it so hard to realize that your point of view on... well, if this forum is any indication, almost EVERYTHING... differs from the vast majority of the populace.  You've been told by this group time and time again that your viewpoint is well outside the norm.  You, of all people, should be going to extended lengths to make sure that your point is actually understood.  Since you have a history of "non-normative thinking", when any such statement of miscommunication happens, you should consider yourself to be the likely cause, not everyone else in the discussion.

As to you not getting my viewpoint at all... Do you ever get anyone's viewpoint other than your own?  I've seen no evidence of it in the various contentious discussions on this forum in which you have participated.  Even I try to learn from the discussions had here, though my opinions are not often changed by them.  The only thing I've learned from having these discussions with you is that there is little point in debating with you, because no compromise is ever reached unless everyone decides to agree that you're right.

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#21 2007-10-10 09:21:40

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

This test confirms what I always thought. 87.

And the description, the same as Net's and Storymasters, is dead on. I regularly become grouchy BECAUSE my wife continuously asks me why I"m being grumpy when I'm not being grumpy, I'm just being quiet.

Can't wait to see what my wife scores on this test. I'm pretty sure my wife is an extrovert who plays at being an introvert because of OTHER issues: me being an introvert and her suffering from an anxiety disorder, which is a disorder, I guess, that could easily lead to being an introvert.

I don't know how I missed it before, but I just found this topic today.

Last edited by Jefferson (2007-10-10 09:22:02)

#22 2007-10-10 17:43:20

Imagineer
Wasted

It comes as no surprise to me that the ratio of introvert to extrovert is greater here than in the general population. How much of that is just introverts' nature to coalesce, how much is just the Internet's communication style suiting introversion, and how much of that is the Pub itself? I give at least some credit to the Pub.

I wonder, are the dominant themes of the writings housed here more appealing or especially appealing to introverts? For example, is mind control more an introvert thing than an extrovert thing?

#23 2007-10-10 17:45:14

Imagineer
Wasted

Also, does anyone feel bad that they didn't score 100?
I think I need a second opinion.

#24 2007-10-10 18:35:59

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I don't think anyone who could seriously score a 100 would do anything so social as to tell us about it.  3dbig_smile

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#25 2007-10-11 07:33:30

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

I THINK you'll find that people who hang out on the internet, whether in the Pub or elsewhere, are generally introverts.

If you think about it, Extroverts have friends to visit with, parties to attend and, generally, more important things to do, in their opinion anyway. This would probably include most people who write and post stories on the internet, whether porn or otherwise.

While the pub may attract more introverts, because of the comfortable environment and because they/we are more easily accepted here than on other sites, I think, in general, you would find people who "hang out" on the internet, like me, are largely introverts and yes, I think the "mask of anonymity" that the internet provides is part of the reason.

Damn that armchair psychologist in me keeps sneaking out. Back damned lecturer!!!

Board footer