The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-24 20:48:09

Erosscribe
Tipsy

Newbie here

Hi all. 

I  just got here a few  minutes ago. First of all, I've been reading the boards.  I don't want to  fan  the flames ,  but what the heck is an EWP, anyway? Secondly ,  I'm  at a stuck point here .  I  had an  idea  for, well,    a novel.  The inspiration,  oddly enough , was  Louisa May Alcott. Little Women , Jo's Boys , take your  pick.   Here's the concept: In  the Alcott novels,  ( to oversimplify horribly)  you  have  families and their friends.  Undereducated , poor folks -- salt of the earth types--  who farm and  cook  and knit.  Against the odds, love and hard work  keep them together .

Fine.  Let's keep the family  and the love parts, and flip  the script on the rest.  Let's   make them  of this period , just  like Alcott wrote about  her time. Let's make them overeducated  and  (in some cases )  independently wealthy.  Instead of farming and  cooking and knitting, let's   have them  go  to school,  travel and have sex. All  sorts of sex. Incest ,  first-time sex,   orgies ,  bi  sex,  straight sex,  gay sex, multigenerational  sex --  even some light BDSM. Instead  of   generations of landowning, what about generations of incest?

So  I'm   going along  writing this story. The first two  chapters, approximately 27  pages , have  no sex whatsoever, simply setup. It's only  on page 6 of chapter 3- where I'm  currently stuck-   that there is anything resembling a sex scene- and  writing the actual  sex sections makes me giggle half the time.  It's  all  I can  do  not  to put  down "He drove his pneumatic drill  into  her dark mine shaft again and again.."  or some other piece of horribly purple prose.

I'd love advice, but I  have a question. I  don't see   that many actual  stories on here .  Maybe I just can't find them.  Is there a place for peer review? I  assumed that's what the whole site was , so I'm a bit lost.

Erosscribe

#2 2007-08-24 21:40:28

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

Re: Newbie here

I got this guys

EWP was a site started buy Netwolf it is similar to this site in so much as its a community of authors and there fans the difference is that unlike this site anyone can join as a writer

a while back net gave up control of the site to a guy name jullian and EWP has been slipping down the shitter ever since.

last October net contacted several of the authors and called for a walkout from the site of the original members (those author 'swho joined in the first year) NONE of us are still on EWP(i think)

there is a LOT of bad bood between the Admins of EWP and those of us who walk away from the site

as the the reast i'll leave that to the others

(if i got any of the info wrong PM me and i'll fix it im REALLY tired and my short term memory is pretty much worth less)

Last edited by Neitherspace (2007-08-24 21:41:29)

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#3 2007-08-25 01:26:18

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

But, NS, it happened last December.  Hardly "short term memory" info... 3dtongue

As to the other question...

There are currently 11 or 12 contributors to this site  Something like 100 stories.  I'm not sure if you consider that "not very many", or if you're having trouble locating the stories sections.

No, this is unfortunately not a site for peer review.  Much as I would love to be operating a writers guild, the interest level to put in the effort for such a thing is simply not there.

I will offer what advice I can, after ten years of writing sex scenes.

1.  Don't get cute.  I think the reason you're having giggling fits is because you're trying to be melodramatic or artsy.  Just tell us what's happening.  Do not use euphemisms during sex scenes.  EVER.  "He slid his cock deep into her pussy, eliciting a deep moan of pleasure from her," not some weird metaphor about oil derricks.  The people who come here (and to most erotica sites on the net) are not Harlequin novel readers; they're not looking for you to beat around the bush (uh, pardon the pun...) or be vague.  They are looking for you to be explicit.  If you're going to write about sex, then write about SEX and the body parts involved in sex.

2. Try to keep it at least a little real.  Unless your character has super-powers, he's probably going to be dead tired after his third orgasm, assuming he can make it THAT far.  Don't have him going all day without stopping for anything else.  Of course, if your character DOES have super-powers, ignore this.  3dbig_smile

3. Ignore the following axiom: "Write what you know."  I didn't have sex until seven years AFTER I started writing erotica.  It is not necessary to have committed an act to write about it.  You DO, however, have to have either seen it committed, or read someone else's account of it, unless you have a REALLY good imagination.  Remember that erotica, regardless of the genre, is fantasy, and people don't necessarily want "real life" in their sex scenes.  (I know this conflicts with Rule 2.  Writing is like that.  3dsmile All rules are to be broken at the right time and place. )

4. Keep it interesting.  This means one of two things: change what's going on in the scene frequently, or keep it SHORT.  There are only so many ways to describe the in-and-out motion involved in sex, and unless you have new positions, or a conversation going on during sex, the reading is going to get really damned boring.

5. Don't take yourself too seriously.  This isn't a documentary, it's a novel.  Have some fun, for crying out loud.

Hope some of this helps,
Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#4 2007-08-25 01:38:07

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

I was talking about when u sent the 1st email asking for support not the actual walk out sorry if i didn't make that clear

Last edited by Neitherspace (2007-08-25 01:42:25)

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#5 2007-08-26 01:33:17

CSquared
Wasted

I was gonna say - so far as I know, I certainly didn't join in the first year.  I thought the walkout was people who were active within the site.  But hey, I could be mistaken.  And I probably am, since I've imbibed quite a lot of alcohol this evening.

CSquared

#6 2007-08-26 03:02:47

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

yea i didn't mean to imply that ONLY the writers who joined 1st year walked out just that all of us did

#7 2007-08-26 05:51:12

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Actually, the walkout was basically people I considered friends, or at least friendly.  In other words, people whose affiliation with the site I gave a damn about.

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#8 2007-08-26 15:27:04

CSquared
Wasted

Net Wolf wrote:

Actually, the walkout was basically people I considered friends, or at least friendly.  In other words, people whose affiliation with the site I gave a damn about.

Net Wolf

Oh.  Well, in that case, thank you very much. ^_^

CSquared

#9 2007-08-26 22:04:40

Erosscribe
Tipsy

Thanks   folks.  Netwolf , your  advice is  quite helpful.  I've been  posting at the Kristen Archives , as I was  introduced to the   world  of  erotic writing  through  ASSTR.   I ask  for feedback  and occasionally  I  get   an " I  really liked it. I  hope you write more" type of  response. I've overcome my giggles and the purple prose tendency - I  just  wish there was someone to  give me feedback.

As  far  as taking it seriously, I  have   to  disagree.   I  love the big  book. David Foster Wallace , Thomas Pynchon,   Cryptonomicon  by Neil Stephenson-  they all  take their work seriously. I  will  never be as good as any of those folks -  but if I don't take my work  seriously why should anybody else?

ES

Last edited by Erosscribe (2007-08-26 22:05:13)

#10 2007-08-27 01:31:23

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Okay, there is taking your writing seriously, and taking yourself TOO seriously.  I am very passionate about my writing.  I think it is the one thing I do best.

But I don't think I'm going to change the world.  I'm here to entertain, and that's it.  And if you're not going to enjoy what you're doing, then you should be doing something else.  If you take your work so seriously that you've squeezed all the enjoyment out of it, you need to stop.

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#11 2007-10-15 19:14:13

TheNStorm
Inebriated

Oh, and good luck.

Forever life confuses me

Board footer