The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-13 18:55:51

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Site Updates - July 13, 2007

Okay, the update notification system is now up and running. 

When you add a contributor or item to your favorites list, you will automatically get an email whenever a new item unit (new chapter or image) is added to a favorite item.  If you have made a contributor a favorite, then any time that contributor adds a new item, or adds to an existing item, you will receive notification.

I should point out that the notification system follows an "EITHER/OR" process.  That is, if you have set notify ON for EITHER the item OR the contributor, you will be notified.  Setting either one of them to OFF won't have an effect unless you set both of them to off.  So, for instance, if you set Net Wolf as a favorite, and leave notify on, and you then add CAMP: Sibling Rivalry as a favorite, but turn notify off, you will still get an email when Net Wolf posts the next chapter of the story, because one of the two favorites is set to on.

To change the status of your item notifications, you can either go to each individual story, or you can use the "Favorite Items" listing, found under "Site Content" on the main site's menu.  To change the status for contributors, you can go to the contributor's main page, or again, you can use the "Favorite Contributors" list under "Site Content".  Just choose a contributor, and the notify button is next to the Favorites button in the contributor info box.

Also, be aware that the ONLY way to get notified about an update is for either the contributor or the item to be on your favorites list.  You will never be notified of non-favorites.  So if you add CAMP: Sibling Rivalry as a favorite, but not Net Wolf or Caught in the Web, then when he updates Caught In The Web in a couple weeks, you won't be notified, because it's not on your favorites list.  If some people would like an all-inclusive update notification, please let me know, and I can see about adding that into the site as an option for those who want it.

I hope that you will find this feature helpful.  If you have problems with it, or you don't seem to be getting notified when you think you should (or are getting notified when you think you shouldn't...), please let me know.

Thanks for your time.  I return you to your regularly scheduled boredom.  3dsmile
Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#2 2007-07-14 22:43:50

Imagineer
Wasted

Re: Site Updates - July 13, 2007

Very cool feature.

#3 2007-07-15 21:58:30

nightsecho
Wasted

i dont know if this is a problem or not but when you updated J7 i got 4 e-mails about it being updated

looking at you with wide eyes from the darkness

#4 2007-07-15 23:40:12

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Not a problem, that was my doing.  I added episodes 9 & 10, and also added the calendar of events and the table of relationships.  Since the notification script has no "memory", it doesn't know that previous notifications were sent, so it sends one for each new chapter / thing added.  When I add the next chapter and update the CoE and ToR, you'll only get one email, since the notification script doesn't get activated for reposting, only for the original post.

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#5 2007-07-16 06:00:20

Black Rose
Evil Bar Wench

I don't know if this is possible or not, but maybe it could be more specific about what within each story/author was updated?  You know, J7 - Ch. 9, Ch. 10, Calendar of Events, Table of Relationships... but that probably won't cut down on the instances of e-mails any.  Nevermind, I'll shut up now.  I haven't even signed up for notifications of anything so I don't even know what they look like. 

*disappears*

Black Rose

"Being a writer is a very peculiar sort of a job: it's always you versus a blank sheet of paper (or a blank screen) and quite often the blank piece of paper wins." – Neil Gaiman

Board footer