The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#26 2007-11-25 04:43:39

Eaglewwolf
Tipsy

Re: CAMP in hardcover?

$40 doesn't sound bad. It's one of the best Ive ever read 3dsmile.

#27 2007-11-25 04:56:44

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I suppose at this point, I should go ahead and squash this subject, lest anyone get their hopes up.

At this point, I do not have the $700 (or so) necessary to place a minimum order of books.  Thus, the only way that this could happen at all would be for people to pre-order (AND PRE-PAY FOR) their books, and I would place the order when I had enough funds to do so.

I honestly don't expect people to do that, so it is unlikely that this will ever happen.

Unless there's someone reading this with an idle printing press I could make use of...

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#28 2007-11-25 07:31:18

Nos
Inebriated

I would pre pay gladly for a copy of your book. Where do I send the cash?

It is ALL in our minds......... Promice

#29 2007-11-25 20:23:02

Black Rose
Evil Bar Wench

I don't know how well this would work, but you could promise to put anything above the $300/month you'd like to get for living expenses towards a CAMP in Hardcover Fund?  Add some sort of tally to the front page so people know how close it is to becoming available?  Maybe that would be extra donating incentive or something.  I don't know.  Something to think about maybe?

Black Rose

"Being a writer is a very peculiar sort of a job: it's always you versus a blank sheet of paper (or a blank screen) and quite often the blank piece of paper wins." – Neil Gaiman

#30 2007-11-25 21:25:29

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

An interesting thought, BR.  I think I like it.

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#31 2007-12-02 22:51:40

advancewar
Wasted

ya great idea black rose that combined with the preorder thing might be able to do it. let us know what you come up with net id be great to see it in print.

life=books

#32 2008-01-01 08:43:48

Nos
Inebriated

Eric is there any possible issues sending your book up to Canada?

#33 2008-01-01 10:37:24

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Not that I am aware of.  The book will officially be a "thank you gift for donating", so it has no commercial value as such.  Whether they would open it and read it to see if it was morally acceptable... I kind of doubt it.

You would, of course, be responsible for your shipping costs, just like anyone else.

Eric

----
Facebook page

#34 2008-01-01 13:15:34

CSquared
Wasted

What are inter-continental shipping fees usually like for a book?  I was sent a game the other week that apparently cost around a dollar.  Is that typical?

CSquared

#35 2008-01-01 17:06:45

Nos
Inebriated

Not a problem on the shipping cost. Are you able to ship your cd here as well?

#36 2008-01-01 19:51:36

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

CSquared: Um.... NO, it's not typical.  It must have been extremely lightweight.  My CD-ROM, when I had to ship to the UK, cost $5.50 or something close.  (If you were dealing with a business, they may have had special arrangements with the post office.)

How much the book would cost to ship is uncertain because I don't know what it would weigh.  I asked the postal service what it would cost to send a 3-lb. package (oh, sorry, a 1.36kg package... 3dsmile ) from me to the UK, and they said it would cost $23.  2 lb. was $16, and 1 lb. was $10.  To Canada, you can basically half those rates.  Within the US, because I can use Media Mail, it would cost between $2 and $4.

Hope this helps you decide.
Eric

PS: I also checked with UPS for shipping costs.  You don't even want to know.

----
Facebook page

#37 2008-01-01 21:07:23

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

Eric Storm wrote:

[I also checked with UPS for shipping costs.

*Shudder*  Stick with regular post.  If the UPS services for other places are anything like it is around here, it is not worth the extra headache.

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#38 2008-01-01 23:29:20

CSquared
Wasted

Eric Storm wrote:

I asked the postal service what it would cost to send a 3-lb. package (oh, sorry, a 1.36kg package... :) )...

Believe it or not, I'm more at home with the pounds. XD  C'mon, we measure the weight of people in Imperial, not Metric.  Stones and pounds, rather than pounds, but still.

Anyway, $23 isn't excessive, in my opinion.  If ever some copies of the book get printed, I'll definitely go for one.

CSquared

#39 2008-01-02 19:56:22

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

SM:

Using UPS isn't a hassle... we have a UPS store less than a half-mile from here.  It's just the cost for international shipping is prohibitive in the extreme.

Eric

----
Facebook page

#40 2008-01-03 01:13:24

cahotek
Tipsy
Website

My name is Ron and I have a lot of friends, I think I can come  up with $40.

#41 2008-01-03 01:36:26

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

Eric Storm wrote:

SM:

Using UPS isn't a hassle... we have a UPS store less than a half-mile from here.  It's just the cost for international shipping is prohibitive in the extreme.

Eric

True sending is easy the problem is have with them is I work during the day so am not generally home when they try to deliver. I live in a city of almost 1 million people and we have one depot and it is almost on the opposite side of the city.  I know that is just my problem but if they do crap like that here I'm sure it happens in other places too.

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#42 2008-01-09 11:59:07

Yoshiofthewire
Tipsy

1) I would love a book, and I think $40 cool

2) Have you spoken with anyone else for other stories that may be turned into books? (Jefferson & Road Trip? Hint Hint)

3) Have you looked at Lulu?  Lulu is an on-demand published that has no up front cost.  It would cost $17 to print a hard bound 100 page book.  Just something to think about.  http://www.lulu.com/

I am in no way affiliated with Lulu, I just like Web 2.0

#43 2008-01-09 20:34:09

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

1) Cool.
2)  The issue is still the same: having money to print the book.  I doubt he's got the money, either.
3)  Lulu specifically will not publish any adult material whatsoever.

Eric

----
Facebook page

#44 2008-01-10 00:55:28

NahtanoJ88
Inebriated

I decided to point out this little fact about the Hard Cover Fund of $1000 I know that seems like a lot to everyone but that is really only for 25 copies of CAMP at $40. With just the people who have said they would get a book on this forum we are looking at 20 copies. Now I could be wrong but it is my though that when the money starts adding up and it starts looking like this is going to happen for sure more people will jump in and 'pre-donate' for their own copies. But that is just my though on the matter.

All I really know is that I'll be donating as soon as payday comes around.

I also think that since Eric is hopefully selling these a little above cost he will make some money off this as well which would be quite helpful for him.

Last edited by NahtanoJ88 (2008-01-10 00:58:06)

#45 2008-01-10 01:04:33

NahtanoJ88
Inebriated

Eric I was also wondering If we manage to meet the $1000 how long of a window of opportunity will we have to buy extra copies of the book before they are all gone?

#46 2008-01-10 10:23:26

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Um.  3dsmile  How do I answer that question without seeming like a greedy little bastard?  3dbig_smile

Yes, the price I have quoted ($40) is well above the actual cost of printing the book.  There would be little point in me doing it otherwise.

The order I will place with the printer, who I have recently confirmed will, in fact, print CAMP (they've actually got a rough version of the file in their hands), will be for 50 books.  I will, of course, want to keep a few of those, but I'd like to sell as many of them as possible.

Since these books will have to pass through my hands, all of them will be autographed as Net Wolf.  I want to make that clear: this book will never be listed as written by Eric Storm.  CAMP: Ron's Journey was, is, and will be a Net Wolf story.  Should you desire something more than just my scrawled name on your book, I will even take inscription requests (within reason.  3dsmile )

----
Facebook page

#47 2008-01-11 06:57:49

nightsecho
Wasted

what happens if we send the money but not enough to met the $1,000 mark would we gt it back

Last edited by nightsecho (2008-01-11 06:58:10)

looking at you with wide eyes from the darkness

#48 2008-01-11 17:13:48

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

The money would sit there until the mark was met.  If that took five years, well...

Also, as NahtanoJ has already pointed out, if all the people on this forum who said they would buy a copy - and you'll recall that my instructions when I started the thread were to say you would only if you actually intended to do so if it became available - we'd already be 80% of the way there.

----
Facebook page

#49 2008-01-26 00:16:53

advancewar
Wasted

this is a side note, how much does a press cost, curiosity?

life=books

#50 2008-01-26 00:26:10

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

You're referring to the equipment to print and bind your own books?

A hell of a lot more than $1000.00

----
Facebook page

Board footer