The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-10 02:01:19

Sdragon
Inebriated
Website

Titles and their obstinances

I'm pretty sure I am not the only one to have sat in front of their screen and stared at that little blinking cursor in the upper left corner of the screen. Just sitting there, trying to find the words that encapsulate the essence of the story for which it is meant to represent. This is my constant struggle, every time. I gotta ask, how do the rest of you manage to come up with some of your titles?

#2 2021-04-10 03:42:59

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

Re: Titles and their obstinances

How do I get my titles? I've had it happen three different ways. Usually, the most common way, is something hits me as a great title as I'm writing the story. A line a character says. An event that happens in the story. On a story or two, the title came to me first and then I created a story around it. The last way I get my titles, I ask other people for ideas. My wife reads most of my stories, and has come up with one or two titles that I've used, other writers, friends, my editor(s). They might give an idea, and even though it isn't perfect, sometimes it sets off a chain in my head that leads me to a better title. Inspiration can come from almost anywhere.

#3 2021-04-11 22:23:49

Sdragon
Inebriated
Website

These are solid suggestions, thank you. I am a little hesitant to send anything out for proof reading yet as I am still busy with the core and haven't made it to type up yet. I have just always had hell with titles, building the story was easy, the title..., please shoot me... Still, thank you for the advice, Jefferson.

#4 2021-04-11 22:57:57

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I can sympathize with your plight.  I hate naming things in general, and story titles are some of the most important names you come up with.

The first thing I'd say is, try to find a way to describe the story without being too specific.  For instance, in my case, "The Woodward Academy"... well, okay, we know there's a school of some kind involved, but beyond that... 

It also helps if you can find a way to play on words a little bit.  For instance, with my book "Warmth of a Touch"... well, that is kind of an expression all on its own, but also describes the book's story pretty well.

You can also have fun messing with pre-existing titles.  An example:  "Where the Maiasaurs Roam" was a deliberate rip-off of "Where the Buffalo Roam". 

Titles usually come to me during the planning stage of a story.  (What do you mean, you don't have a planning stage?  Shame on you.  3dtongue )  Also, don't be afraid to change your title before publication, if you come up with a better one.  (It's not a good idea to change it after you've started releasing it, though.  That will just confuse people...)

In general, I guess I would say, think about what the story is actually about, and then find an interesting way to describe that, without giving away too much.

Just my $1.50... (inflation, don'cha know? 3dsmile )
Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#5 2021-05-28 08:55:03

temporal_aberation
Inebriated

I think staring at your blinking cursor is probably a bad way to think of a title in general. If one doesn't pop out at you during the planning stages, then maybe it will while editing. Read what you wrote. If one still doesn't strike you, read it again. This at least works for stories that you've finished and individual chapters. It's admittedly more complicated when you're starting a new longform story that you're releasing chapters for episodically, and end up pantsing it. (This is probably how my current story got stuck with a title of "Altered" which is pretty generic. I'm satisfied with my individual chapter titles through, because they've come through a natural part of the editing process.) If you have an outline for your longform story, you can read and edit that to see if it sparks anything.

Our brains like to form connections between ideas and concepts. It needs to actively be stimulated. That's not happening when you're looking at a cursor. Let your brain experience and analyze your work so that it can isolate the central themes of it.

If you feel uncomfortable writing without a title, you can just put a simple placeholder and move on.

Board footer