Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-03 09:29:09

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

A non-writing question

Hey, everyone.

I'm thinking about getting a 3-D resin printer, and I was just wondering if there was anything that you guys would want – related to my stories – that I could print with it.

the 1st things that come to mind are a badge of the Woodward logo, or perhaps a figurine of David.  I could also do a model of the Pub logo, or my own – though I don't know why anyone would want that, except me...

Anyway, just let me know what you think. I would be buying the printer for other reasons, I'm just looking to see if there is a way to offset its cost by offering stuff to you guys.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#2 2020-12-04 07:33:28

Timberwolf92
Inebriated

Re: A non-writing question

I’d likely buy those kind of things.

#3 2020-12-11 05:52:06

milocave
Tipsy

A woodward badge sounds AMAZING and I would definitely want at least one of them.

#4 2021-08-01 07:44:27

frodfy
Tipsy

I am broke right now, so don't take my comment seriously but ... I would love a figurine of Jailla.
The ending of the books kinda make me want to have it more than the rest of the other things, though they also sound cool

#5 2021-08-11 06:16:53

Elessar
Completely Blotto

I some how missed this question or forgot to answer way long ago. I would take several things. Jailla, a couple badges, the elemental shield, a mini version of Woodward castle.

#6 2021-08-11 21:24:24

Timberwolf92
Inebriated

I’m in the same frame of mind as you Elessar. What would you need Eric?

#7 2021-08-12 13:13:57

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Timberwolf92 wrote:

Not sure I understand what you're asking.  Could you rephrase the question, please?

Elessar wrote:

I some how missed this question or forgot to answer way long ago. I would take several things. Jailla, a couple badges, the elemental shield, a mini version of Woodward castle.

Ambitious bastard, aren't you?  A mini version of Castle Woodward?  Even at 1/64 scale, that model would be over a foot tall, and probably several feet long.  And I'm not even including the curtain wall in that, I'm just talking about the keep itself.  The towers are 80' tall.  And I haven't even figured out how long the castle is, side-to-side, but you can bet it's a few hundred feet, at least.  (For reference, in 1/64 scale, a human figure is about 1" tall.  It's the scale of a Matchbox or Hot Wheels car.)

And... the elemental shield?  I'm assuming you mean you actually want the thing that was on David's arm?  I'd have to customize it for everyone who wanted one, so it would actually fit.  Yikes.

Both of those things would be cost-prohibitive.  Resin isn't cheap.  Resin printers are even less cheap.  Not that I expect anything I would sell to actually cover the cost of the printer, but it would have to at least cover the cost of the resin, plus my time in creating it.

Things like the DIRT badges, or a Woodward logo badge, are fairly easy to model, print, and paint.  Jailla would be... tricky, but do-able.  Even a figurine of David or one of the other main characters is possible.  When you start talking about buildings or major wearable items... now we may be exceeding what is realistically possible, unless you're making donations with a couple zeroes in front of the decimal point...

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#8 2021-08-13 12:11:55

thehilz
Completely Blotto

Couple of zeros in front of the decimal point is lot more doable than as in front of a comma. Not sure exactly why but I do like the idea of having the entire school/castle part of the mountain model. Might have to go smaller than 1/64 scale thou lol

#9 2021-08-13 16:29:36

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

thehilz wrote:

Couple of zeros in front of the decimal point is lot more doable than as in front of a comma. Not sure exactly why but I do like the idea of having the entire school/castle part of the mountain model. Might have to go smaller than 1/64 scale thou lol

No, the digits in front of the commas are supposed to be things other than zero. 

3dtongue

To put this into perspective, the castle is 80' tall (at the top of the towers), 120' deep (front to back), and 340' long (from tower to tower).  In 1/64 scale, this represents a model 15" tall by 22.5" deep, by 63.75" wide.  That's over five FEET.

In 1/128 scale, you can just halve those numbers:  7.5 x 11.25 x 31.875"  It's still nearly three feet long!  Castles are BIG!

Below 1/128 scale, you'd start to seriously lose detail.  The smallest "real world" detail that could be printed in 1/128 scale is 1/2".  And that would be a single layer of resin.  Printing things like windows at that resolution would be difficult: the mullions would be nothing more than one or two lines of resin wide.  Also, you'd lose the mortar lines on the castle walls, which aren't 1/2" thick, usually...

And where the hell would you put a 3' long model of a castle, anyway???

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#10 2021-08-13 16:47:50

Timberwolf92
Inebriated

Timberwolf92 wrote:

Eric Storm wrote:

Not sure I understand what you're asking.  Could you rephrase the question?

I was trying to ask what would those items likely cost? In light of the previous post I remove my order of the school/ castle…..lol.

#11 2021-08-13 21:44:17

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Timberwolf92 wrote:

I was trying to ask what would those items likely cost? In light of the previous post I remove my order of the school/ castle…..lol.

Why, you don't want to pay several hundred dollars for a model you have no room for?

3dsmile

Now, as to how much anything would cost, I really hesitate to talk about price, because I haven't even bought a resin printer yet.  I have an FDM printer at the moment, but they don't give enough detail for this kind of thing.

So, having said that, I'm going to list my thoughts on price, but these could be WAY off, in either direction.  (NO, saying "WAY off" was NOT a pun!!!)

Woodward Academy badge, approx. 5"x5"x1/4"
    unpainted (just whatever color the resin is): $10
    painted (in the appropriate colors for the emblem): $25
Jailla figure, 1 1/2 - 2" long (not counting tail):
    unpainted: $10
    painted: $20
DIRT badge, approx. 3" wide
    unpainted: $10
    painted (in the appropriate colors for the particular badge): $20
Human figure, 5-6" tall
    unpainted: $15
    painted: $40

Again, let me reiterate, those prices are basically wild-assed guesses, but they should at least give you some idea of the neighborhood of cost we're talking about.  Also, of course, such prices do NOT include shipping costs.

And, let's be clear, even if there was massive interest, this isn't something that could happen in the immediate future.  I'd have to get the printer, learn to work with the printer, create the models, perfect the printing of the models, get the paints, practice on at least a couple to make sure I can get the painting right, etc.

What I've been trying to find out is if I should even bother going to that effort.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#12 2021-08-14 00:02:27

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Okay, need to make a correction.

The detail level on a resin printer is such that you could theoretically go all the way down to a 1:256 scale and still see details...

...but now you come up against my ability to paint those details...  3dsmile

And it would still be over a foot long and 4" tall.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#13 2021-08-19 18:56:28

Timberwolf92
Inebriated

Eric Storm wrote:

Why, you don't want to pay several hundred dollars for a model you have no room for?
Eric Storm

Oh I’m sure I could find a place for it would just be at the expense of any future guests I have over to my house, but you are partially right that I don’t want to spend several hundred dollars at this time.

#14 2021-08-20 00:33:36

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

...you don't want to give money to your favoritest, bestest author of all time????  Or me, either????? 

How rude!!!

3dtongue
hehehe

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

Board footer