The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-08 04:46:54

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I thought this issue was closed...

*sigh*  I'm not sure exactly what bee got up his bonnet this time, but Julian has returned to his harassing ways.  First, he directly threatened me with a lawsuit, for supposedly stealing the code for EWP v4.  This is a bald-faced lie, and he knows it, but he continues to make the threats.  His exact words were "be on the look out [sic] from [sic] a letter from my lawyer".  He made this threat in front of others in the Pub's chat room, using the name Guy214.

I spent 100+ hours hand-coding The Pub.  LAoW can verify this, as she watched me do quite a bit of it, and she certainly heard about my frustrations.  The only large part of the website I did not write was the forum.  However, I obviously did not steal THAT from Julian, as it is an open-source forum available for free to anyone who wants to use it. (I also used some other, open-source, utility programs.)

I am fully ready to put my code side-by-side with his to prove they aren't even close to identical.  More to the point, I had no access to the code for EWP4.  Yes, Trekkie joined my team, and he had access to that code.  But Trekkie joined my team the week before we opened the site.  I'd been working for ten weeks prior to that already, and the site was in final error-checking for release when Trekkie joined up.  No, I stole NO code from ANYBODY.  I have used open-source scripts on the site to simplify my tasks, but I have never stolen code.

Furthermore, I have been told that Julian has been using my screenname in the EWPUB chat room.  I want to make it clear that I have not been in the EWPUB chat room in months, and I have no intention of ever returning to it, so anyone you see there using my screenname, is not me.  The only chat room I visit with any frequency is the one associated with The Pub.

I had hoped that this issue was behind me.  I have not actively attacked Julian in any way.  I have not even gone out of my way to publicize his behavior, until now.  I have, in fact, attempted to ignore him.  Until recently, that effort was successful.

Please note:  Do not construe this message as a call to action of any kind.  This attack is against me, personally, not the site or the community.  I will not sit quietly while Julian attempts to destroy my reputation for no reason whatsoever, but I don't believe that any action you might take would be effective.  I have posted this message merely as a news item.  I want to make sure that the truth concerning Julian's behavior is on the public record, not for any legal reason, but because I value my reputation, and I will not let anyone as slimy as Julian question my integrity.

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#2 2007-03-08 14:24:01

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

Re: I thought this issue was closed...

What a dink

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#3 2007-03-08 18:16:31

joshzharris
Tipsy

I can't believe that he is still trying to pursue this issue that seemed to be settled months ago.  Unless he is just an ass, it makes no sense to keep the issue open and make things volatile for everyone involved. 

Net, I think you are one of the best authors on the web and hate to see someone attack you like this out of, what seems like, petty jealousy.

Josh

What's your major malfunction, Numbnuts? - Full Metal Jacket

#4 2007-03-08 19:17:57

Yellow Snow
Inebriated

Can I vote for ass? I joined the chat room yesterday for the first time and he started that bit. I have a lot of faith in Net's integrity or I would not have given him permission to move me here.

Night Wolf

If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for that day, if you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#5 2007-03-08 20:02:25

monbade
Inebriated

damn i thought it was all settled, sigh. Well i hope it does soon, this is just so wrong.
I saw the post and i though "Well thats weird i thought NetWolf left." Then more posts came up. Then thought well maybe he just peeks in. Thank you for clearing it up.
Monbade

#6 2007-03-08 23:33:56

CSquared
Wasted

Well, I must admit - our walkout has made no headway in changing his ways as an administrator.  I've asked dozens of times to be removed from the update mailing list, but I continue to receive them.  I'm not at all surprised that he's attempting something along these lines - even if he knows he cannot win.

Incidentally - if you follow the given instructions regarding removal from a mailing list (which, by the way, have not changed since your days in charge, Net - save for the names you contact), should you not be removed?  I feel it is not going to right way to actively email him, or post in the forums.  He has posted in the forums since I PMed him, so I know he's seen my messages.  I can only assume he's merely ignored them.

Sorry, I'm ranting.  Net - you know that if he does bring legal action against you, no jury in the world would side with him, so my advice is not to worry unduly.  In all likelyhood, he won't even follow through.  I figure you're pretty safe. 3dsmile

CSquared

#7 2007-03-09 00:42:14

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I'm not worried legally, for two reasons:

1. He made the exact same claim three months ago.  I have yet to hear from an attorney.
2. I know that I didn't steal his code, and there is no way that he can prove otherwise, since it isn't true.

Oh, he also told me that I couldn't bring a suit against him for defamation of character, because I haven't lost anything monetarily.  On that issue, he is wrong.  Though the court may not award any damages, the rule for libel only requires that he attempt to impugn my reputation.  It makes no stipulation that I be financially hurt in any way.  If he were to file a suit, I would immediately file a countersuit.

Thanks for the support,
Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#8 2007-03-09 08:29:23

shades98
Tipsy

As somebody who never visits the chat forums on most sites especially EWP I am not upto date on most of these issues, but it just seems to be downright stupid of one administrator to attack that of another and since the only thing I know about everybody in this situtation is what I've noticed in the running of their websites and with Net Wolf when he ran EWP, I would say that their respective records show which person is above being childish.  Net Wolf, thank you for the fantastic site that you've put together first at EWP and now The Pub.

#9 2007-03-09 21:56:26

siath
Wasted

He's a moron and enough said.

Siath

#10 2007-03-13 00:35:14

bigwind
Tipsy

Hey Net Wolf,

The way I see it, he is trying to wind you up and seems to be doing a reasonable job. The best way to fight that is to just ignore him. Everyone knows the situation and the rights and wrongs so you have nothing to defend or prove. If you totally ignore him then he is just pissing in the wind. If he gets no reaction from you then he just shows himself up more and your integrity is intact.

Keep up with the fantastic site.

Bigwind

#11 2007-03-13 06:12:42

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Bigwind:

The problem is that, no, most people do NOT know the truth.  There is a very small group of people who actually know the whole story, because most people don't really pay attention.  There are still people who believe I'm running EWP as we speak, though I stopped doing so in 2005.

My message was simply an effort to make sure the truth is told.  I refuse to allow people to question my integrity.  Am I spending lots of time worrying over Julian's actions?  No, not in the least.  But when he decides to impugn my character, I will respond.

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#12 2007-03-13 23:40:34

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

CSquared wrote:

Well, I must admit - our walkout has made no headway in changing his ways as an administrator.  I've asked dozens of times to be removed from the update mailing list, but I continue to receive them.  I'm not at all surprised that he's attempting something along these lines - even if he knows he cannot win.

heh thats funny cause i have yet to get a single update notice and i opted in twice (this was long before the walkout but after julian took over)

julian is a blow hard power mad jackass and while i didn't have any problems with him directly. the few times iv'e looked at ewp's fourms he's trash talking those of us who left

Last edited by Neitherspace (2007-03-13 23:45:26)

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#13 2007-03-15 10:20:47

shades98
Tipsy

Net Wolf wrote:

Bigwind:

The problem is that, no, most people do NOT know the truth.  There is a very small group of people who actually know the whole story, because most people don't really pay attention.  There are still people who believe I'm running EWP as we speak, though I stopped doing so in 2005.

My message was simply an effort to make sure the truth is told.  I refuse to allow people to question my integrity.  Am I spending lots of time worrying over Julian's actions?  No, not in the least.  But when he decides to impugn my character, I will respond.

Net Wolf

As somebody who doesn't know the full truth, I feel that it is really sad if people don't realise that you aren't running EWP because you posted in the announcement pages that you were moving on.  So they either don't usually visit EWP or haven't been there in a very long time. 

I applaud your efforts here both at the Pub and giving us an update of what is actually happening.

#14 2007-03-15 21:24:19

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

There is also the group of people who are new to EWP.  My name is still posted in a lot of places as being associated with the site.  Hell, the "About EWP" page hasn't been updated since I left in 2005...  (Actually, even before that, as it still lists "Ice Phoenix"... 3dsmile )

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#15 2007-03-18 20:00:32

druidman227
Tipsy

Net,

I've been a fan of you and your work for a while now but this is one of the first times I have spoken out. I'll be honest and say that I have absolutly no idea what the real story between you and EWP is except for what I have heard in threads like these. I consider you an honest, respectable person and I think it is horrible that someone is trying to do anything to make people think you are anything but that. If I may make a suggestion, post the whole story, leave nothing out. That way, eveyone will know the whole truth. If Julian wants to write his side of the story and post it on what is now his site, let him. I'm sure anyone who really matters will believe you.

Keep up the good work.

Best of luck,

Druid

#16 2007-03-28 04:47:16

advancewar
Wasted

net you did an awsome job makeing ewp and now the pub your work is the best on the web as far as ive seen. julian has issues and i think we sould try and get in contact with alot of the ewp authors and see aabout them posting here too. gl and tell julian to pull his head out of his rectum and that he sould give thee site too someone who will actualy work on it (id preffer you but probably not gonna happen) good luck with dealing with him and hope to see more stories from you.

p.s. i want you to continue sibling rivalry  (lol yes i like to beat dead horses) later

life=books

#17 2007-03-28 21:09:30

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

This site is NOT going to be a replacement for EWP.  Posting here is by invitation only, and will be kept small.  Right now, I'm having a bunch of Real Life Crap (TM) that I'm having to deal with, and it's making it very hard to work on anything at all, including this site.

Until there are more webmasters for the site, growth will be very, very slow.

As to Julian's problems...  I hope he seeks professional psychiatric help soon, as I firmly believe that he needs it.  I will continue to go on with my life, doing my best to ignore him.  If there is a rivalry or feud between him and me, he is the one fueling it.  Since the walkout, I have done NOTHING to Julian except respond to his specious accusations about my activities.  I will continue to work that way.  I agree that Julian needs to turn control over to someone who can keep their word and actually work on the site, but at this point, I believe he has too much ego invested in owning the site.

And Sibling Rivalry won't even be considered for continuation until at least one other project is closed out, so y'all can stop whining now.

Net Wolf

Real Life Crap is a TroubleMark of LifeSucks, Inc.  Used with permission.

----
Facebook page

#18 2007-03-30 04:08:59

advancewar
Wasted

im sorry to hear about you having problems i will try to not be as abnoctios as i know i sumtimes am

p.s. if i start to annnoy you just tell me to shut up and ill take the hint  otherwise    again   im dumb   3dsmile

p.p.s. good luck  let me know if theres anything i can help with

life=books

#19 2007-03-30 05:21:32

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

Real Life Crap huh as much as i dig Greg Deans comic i think a spin off about his toilet is a good move

http://www.reallifecomics.com/archive/991115.html

#20 2007-04-03 10:25:51

dv8n
Wasted

well I still go to EWP because some of the authors i like are still there... but for all purposes it looks like Vax is the one doing most of the work... Vax posts most of the announcements and fixes the problems..kind of like how Siath was before he left... and Julian said something about "now that we have a team to rely on" but Vax seems to be the only one I see answering anything...or at least that was the case a month of so ago. 

Of course from what I understand about the law... you can say pretty damn anything you want to smear someones character and reputation as long as you say first and foremost it is your Opinion..." In my opinion...blah blah asshole...blah shitmuncher ...blah blah.. pud whackin sonovabitch...blah blah." because in America we are entitled to our opinions...or at least that's what our propoganda message  says  3dbig_smile

....then again I still don't understand how you could give a website to someone...I mean a it seems like a simple legal clause stating that if he didn't do the job properly or do as he promised within a certain amout of time and the site auto reverts back to you and all that jazz...isn't that possible?  I guess I'm just paranoid like that looking for ways to screw somebody in case they screw me....hahaha

Last edited by dv8n (2007-04-03 10:35:11)

:lol:

#21 2007-04-03 17:40:29

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

He isn't stating this as his opinion, dv8n.  He is stating it as fact.

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

Board footer