The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#201 2019-07-13 17:53:13

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: Woodward Academy, Year 8, The

Once again, what you're discussing doesn't happen during the course of the fighting.  It was an attempt to get capitulation without fighting, and punishment after victory to make them pay for fighting.  It wasn't used as a tactic to end the fighting.

As to terrorism... terrorism isn't warfare, it's simple cowardice.  It is exact proof that only evil people target the innocent.  And our struggle fighting terrorism is that we are unwilling to accidentally hurt the civilian population that the terrorists are hiding inside of.

And while, yes, those who monetarily, or even morally, support terrorism really are just as guilty as the terrorists... how would you spot them within the civilian community to target only them?  Moreover, if there are no terrorists to support, then the money has nowhere to go, so again, killing off the guys with the guns is really the most effective means of ending the conflict.  But you have to be willing to allow some innocents to die in that endeavor. 

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#202 2019-07-14 05:54:17

Maverick7508
Inebriated

True enough on the Stalin bit. Heck he was responsible for some of the mass graves in Poland.

(posted from the Item Information Page)

#203 2019-08-26 16:14:36

KaosKing
Inebriated

"I am a ?????," ????? explained.

"I rather unusual one, from my experience," David said with a grin.

Shouldn't this be "A rather unusual one"? Reviewers missing stuff again 3dtongue

Edit: Fixed the apostrophe, thanks for the catch Eric!

Last edited by KaosKing (2019-08-28 07:25:55)

#204 2019-08-26 18:18:33

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Four things:

1.  It's not the job of my reviewers to catch or fix typos.  Their job relates to the story content, not to the mechanics of the words used.

2.  That being said, at least one of them did, in fact, catch this typo, and told me about it.

3.  You try proofreading at five o'clock in the morning, and see what you might miss.

4.  Was this all you had to say about the chapter?  That I let a boo-boo slip in?

Eric Storm

PS:  And 5. If you're going to chastise - no matter how facetiously - someone for a typo, perhaps you shouldn't have one in your own post?  "Reviewer's" is a possessive.  Plural words are not formed with apostrophes.  -- Or were you insinuating that I only had one reviewer, and so this is a contraction of "Reviewer is"?  See?  Two can play this game...  3dtongue

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#205 2019-08-26 19:29:05

thehilz
Completely Blotto

Great chapter. Looking forward to David’s new quest.

#206 2019-08-26 19:56:21

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

Loved the chapter, and what a pleasant surprise on David's new side quest as well as a tidbit of information on his darker side.  I'm looking forward to the next chapter.

#207 2019-08-26 22:25:49

bigfoot
Wasted

Great chapter. Loved the motivation for David to avoid the dark side of the force. His general character is to do the right thing because it needs doing but the war has wreaked havoc on young David's innocence. The real battle won't be with the weres, but rather keeping himself on the right path and in the light.

#208 2019-08-28 03:24:36

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

At a guess each part is held by one of what i like to call the fundamental element races dragons knomes aries undine and in this case garuda

(posted from Chapter 4: September)

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#209 2019-08-28 04:37:51

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Hate to burst your bubble, Neitherspace, but I don't even know what half of those are.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#210 2019-08-28 07:27:15

KaosKing
Inebriated

Yeah.. if I was proofreading at 5 am, I too would miss it, haha..

The chapter was pretty interesting, I am interested to see which path David will walk, as well as which Lady is his number one

#211 2019-08-28 13:55:23

Sniper
Inebriated

I am herewith petitioning to make Garthok a recurring character. Maybe even with pants, although the absence of those would provide some potential entertainment.

@Neitherspace
Where did you come up with 

Neitherspace wrote:

the fundamental element races dragons knomes aries undine and in this case garuda

?

Did you mean gnomes and fairies? Undine might represent water and Garuda would likely be fire. Hmmm... Nope, I can't really follow you here.

#212 2019-08-28 16:32:26

Timberwolf92
Inebriated

Great chapter as always Eric.

#213 2019-08-29 13:47:16

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

Fire might be held by the firebird that Lord Woodward knew.
Water might be associated with the merfolk.
Air and Electricity are unknowns and, AFAIK, unreferenced - except maybe the thunderbird.
HOWEVER, that is presupposing that the elements of the shield are held by entities associated with those elements. How was that forest dragon associated with Earth?I
There are other considerations as well.

#214 2019-08-29 15:57:24

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

I wouldn't be surprised if he has to go to a total of 5 different nations religious leaders (1 down) in order to have them divine whether or not to tell David where the piece they know about is, or by whom it is being guarded.  I'm betting something as long lived and as powerful as a Dragon guards each of the pieces.  I also wouldn't be surprised if one of the places/people David has to go visit is the elvish nation (Chasco, or some such), and might have to deal with Devin again.  Man would it suck if Devin's deceased tribe was the only group of elves entrusted with the ability to divine the object and it's protector.  Making piece with Devin, if she's the only one that can divine the protector of the thing, might be a bit of a stumbling block or a character builder for David and Devin.  But, don't mind me and my maniacal mind.  3dcool

#215 2019-08-29 15:59:31

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

Oh, wouldn't it suck if one of the peoples that had to divine the protector for David was actually in the Were nation? 3dangel

#216 2019-08-29 19:41:30

Sniper
Inebriated

If all pieces were guarded by dragons, he could bribe Bispy with a truckload of steaks...or several.

#217 2019-08-29 22:56:45

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I'd like to point out that Devyn is in prison.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#218 2019-08-30 01:02:00

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

So, your saying david might have to get her out?  Muahhhh hahaha

#219 2019-08-30 01:36:34

neolyn
Wasted

Oh yeah Devyn is in  prison, it's benn 2 or 3 years now ?
By the way what happen to non-human after their jail time ? Humans are deported to earth, but what about other ethnic group ?

It's a very tame chapter, maybe the tamest (most tame?) of the saga. And I don't like THAT!
You're lucky I love the story more I would not have enjoyed the chapter otherwise. >.>"

A bit disappointed David didn't pork the Queen but that would not have fit the story (would that not be treason against the king ?).
Surprised David didn't actually pork anyone at all actually.

So it's September and David is not back to school ( for obvious reasons); I guess he won't be back any time soon so,  since many ..."unfinished" plots are at Woodward, what will happened to them? I mean, there is Emile, the rider guild,
healer Hall who needs the good piece of David, and his 8th year to finish.

What's happening to other characters? Glendia and Viviane are with David and we didn't see them much, I'm not even talking about my little Gwen and her family, Olissa  and Flo ? Sam and Annie ?
It's like they don't exist anymore.
It's all focused on David. OK, he's the Protagonist so it's normal, but I think it's too much focused on him. It's like you're throwing away world building. I  find it a bit sad because since it's war, it's the best opportunity to develop things.

I didn't think you'll go the "chosen one" path, it's so... not you  to do that ? I mean I don't remember any of your stories where something like that happened.

I still liked the chapter though... So you know... keep writing please ?

#220 2019-08-30 06:20:36

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Wow... so much hate, and irrationality.

neolyn wrote:

Oh yeah Devyn is in  prison, it's benn 2 or 3 years now ?

It's been less than one.

By the way what happen to non-human after their jail time ? Humans are deported to earth, but what about other ethnic group ?

First, not all humans are deported after prison.  Second, since Earth is basically a human-only zone, other races do not have the option of being exiled.  Each nation would create its own rules as to how to deal with their miscreants.

It's a very tame chapter, maybe the tamest (most tame?) of the saga.

I can name at least one that was definitely more sedate than this one.  There were probably a half dozen of them.  This one at least contained a battle, no matter how brief.

And I don't like THAT!  You're lucky I love the story more I would not have enjoyed the chapter otherwise. >.>"

Um... no... you're lucky.  Makes no difference to me at all.

A bit disappointed David didn't pork the Queen but that would not have fit the story (would that not be treason against the king ?).

Committing a personal affront to the king is not treason.  Treason is giving aid to an enemy of the kingdom.  It would certainly be unethical on both of their parts (unless the king and queen have "an understanding", but we don't know about that at all...)  Believe it or not, I did, actually, consider doing this scene, but rejected the idea because of the disrespect for the king it would show on David's part.

Surprised David didn't actually pork anyone at all actually.

In every book in the series except this one, there was an average of one sex scene every two chapters.  This will be one of the few chapters in this book that doesn't have a sex scene.

So it's September and David is not back to school ( for obvious reasons); I guess he won't be back any time soon so,  since many ..."unfinished" plots are at Woodward, what will happened to them? I mean, there is Emile, the rider guild,
healer Hall who needs the good piece of David, and his 8th year to finish.

Let me burst your bubble right now:  David is NEVER going to sleep with Healer Hall.  I don't want to make Jefferson drive down here to kill me.

The Peg Riding Guild is not in any way part of the school.  And frankly, there's very little to be said about the guild at this point.  Even if there was no war, the growth of the guild is... administrative.  (read, "boring").

What's happening to other characters? Glendia and Viviane are with David and we didn't see them much,

the missions David was on didn't require more than one person.  The rest of his troop would have been helping protect the ANFCC.  Not exactly something to devote words to.

I'm not even talking about my little Gwen and her family,

Olissa

Taking care of David's house.

and Flo ?

Living her own life.  She doesn't even live in Bolmont.  Exactly how did you expect this character to still be in the story?  She left the school at the end of year 6.  The last we saw of her was in book 6.  She was mentioned once or twice in book 7, but did not appear.

Sam and Annie ?

If by Annie, you are referring to Healer Hall, both of these people are doing their jobs at the school.  How do you expect to see what they're doing, when David is not about to go back up to the school?  Even if he had the free time to wander around, he doesn't know if he can trust anyone at the school right now.

It's like they don't exist anymore.
It's all focused on David. OK, he's the Protagonist so it's normal, but I think it's too much focused on him.

It is not actually possible for a story to be "too much focused" on the protagonist.

It's like you're throwing away world building. I  find it a bit sad because since it's war, it's the best opportunity to develop things.

...I'm throwing away world building... by showing you a different part of the world.  HUH?  Your comment is completely illogical.  Yes, it's a war... which means that David will be in a whole new situation, and be interacting with a different set of people.  Just what did you expect me to develop among these established characters through the war, given that they are not in the army, and thus not part of the war effort?

I didn't think you'll go the "chosen one" path, it's so... not you  to do that ? I mean I don't remember any of your stories where something like that happened.

Depends on what you mean by "chosen one".  Dragonseekers involved finding "the one".  The Artifacts series is, in its own way, about a set of "chosen ones".  And most of my stories talk about an individual who stands out among his peers.  Now, if by "chosen one" you're talking about the "there's a prophecy" kind of chosen one, then no, I don't have any stories like that.

I still liked the chapter though... So you know... keep writing please ?

Nope.  You didn't like the chapter, so I'm never going to write another word.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#221 2019-08-30 14:22:01

StoryJunkie
Wasted

It may have taken time to get here (not that it really matters, just saying), but another great chapter Eric.

#222 2019-09-02 18:38:48

adultswim3
Inebriated

Great chapter setting several things into motion. I really like the scene with Christa, seeing her show some emotion was a nice touch. I'm interested to see what David does with the Aegis if he ever assembles it.

#223 2019-09-03 21:20:39

neolyn
Wasted

I'm just nitpicking. 3dbig_smile

About the "chosen one " yes, I was referring to a prophecy.

About too much focus on the protagonist, I'm saying that's it's too much because after reading too much Chinese novels where it's that way, I can't take it anymore.So I'm afraid that It will be only about David with spare apparition of side characters.

If you'd write half a chapter about side characters I would welcome it with open arms because you wrote them so well, that I'm curious about what's happening in their lives. I'm not expecting you to do it though and it's fine.

About the Queen, well yes that's the kind of development I was expecting with David having sex with her. A little change in the King/David relationship.
And why not Annie ? WHY ? :'( David porks everyone but not Annie ?

#224 2019-09-04 01:31:56

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Of course, you realize that divination is a real thing in Dugerra, so prophecies would be somewhat normal...  Though usually short-term... but we have no idea how far into the future something like a dragon can see...

As to the other characters:  You could probably count on one hand - certainly on both of them - ALL the scenes in EVERY Woodward book that didn't have David in them.  The book is about David, despite the series' name.  As I'm sure you've noticed throughout my writing, I'm not one who often gives glimpses of what's going on outside of the main character's point of view.  But, again, as I said, the side characters you mentioned aren't doing anything interesting.  They're just living their lives.  There's nothing to read about, and there's nothing to write about.  I mean, Flo is probably working as a used SkyRider salesman (can you see her doing anything else... or maybe she's selling SkyRider insurance!  3dbig_smile )  There's not really anything to read about in that.  Similarly with Gwen and Jess... they're running Gwen's G3 (Gadgets, Gifts and Gewgaws... G3  I guess I could call her store G4, but that network folded...)  I mean, yes, they're visiting Pendergrast Manor frequently, but honestly, there's not a lot going on THERE.

In fact, that is precisely the reason I haven't yet started chapter 5 yet!  The first scene I have planned is a visit home for David... and I haven't the faintest fucking idea what to write about, because nothing is happening there.

Why would you want me to turn David into a pariah with the royal court?  That makes... no sense.  Apart from being outside of David's character, it plot-wise would achieve only bad things.  Nothing useful would come from that.

And as to Annie, she's not the only woman in the story he hasn't slept with.  To date, he hasn't slept with (in alphabetical order by first word):

Carol Anderyancy (post office),
Chloe Kirkland,
Dean Lengel,
Healer Hall,
Madame Abernathy,
Nancy (Rimohr office),
Prof. Thropp,
Sheila (Security Office Manager),
Sylvia (works in Housing),
Tracy (Dean Lengel's secretary), or
Zyla Garibaldi,   

So he has hardly "porked everyone but Annie."  As to why he won't sleep with Annie in the story... there are personal reasons for that... apart from the fact that it would make no sense, plot-wise, as David doesn't set about breaking up marriages...

Oh, and he never slept with Cherise Cabalon, either.  3dtongue

As usual in every one of the Woodward books, what you will see is David at center, and whoever happens to be around David at the time.  Now, I realize that the number of people around him that I'm writing about has dwindled over the years.  Didn't you feel that way after you left high school or college (if you went)?  No, the entire book is not going to be about David doing things by himself, but yes, there are significant plot lines in which he will not have help.  It just so happens that this chapter was the one where a lot of that got kicked off.

*shrugs*

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#225 2019-09-04 05:31:46

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

IIRC, he hasn't slept with that lamia who was in the familiarization seminar or with the girl that set him up for the robbery accusations, either.

Another thing to look at is the number of liaisons that were started on DAVID's initiative as opposed to the ones where he was sought out.

Board footer