The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#76 2018-12-15 16:14:20

bigfoot
Wasted

Re: Woodward Academy, Year 8, The

When did David get promoted to a level 7 conjurer and is it because he can teleport?  Also, I'm sure this has been asked and answered but why do some guilds (like the Callamandian Royal Potions Guild) have their highest rank as a Level 1 Master but others (like the Callamandian Royal Conjurers Association) have their highest rank as a (now) Level 7 conjurer? Wouldn't it make more sense to be consistant using the higher or lower number to indicate achievement in rank? After all, a 1st Dan black belt is never higher than a 10th Dan black belt regardless of the style of martial arts practiced.

Last edited by bigfoot (2018-12-15 16:15:13)

#77 2018-12-15 19:27:24

Werewolf1
Tipsy

Eric Storm wrote:

Daedalus:  Ah... frankly, that never even occurred to me when I read his comment.

Werewolf1:  Actually, this was the very first concept Jailla offered:

Eric Storm, in The Woodward Academy, Year 7, Chapter 10: April, wrote:

David sighed deeply.  "It's just the thing with that Dailey bastard and the school.  I can't figure out whether to believe him or not."

"He was an enemy.  Why would you believe him?" Jailla asked.

"What did he have to gain from the lie?" David asked.

"Perhaps exactly what you're going through now?"

David shook his head.  "He expected to win, remember?  Had I been stuck there for all eternity, this would be completely irrelevant.  Whether or not they had been my friends, or in on the conspiracy, wouldn't matter a damn, because I wouldn't be able to communicate with them anymore, anyway."

Offered and rejected.

Eric Storm

I guess what I was getting at is that yes, Daily thought he would win, but what better way to mentally torment David than to have him think he was betrayed and have that on his mind for eternity?  For David to reject that notion out of hand, I guess would limit the possiblibilties.  That's just my own thoughts, because I don't believe his closest friends would do that.  Of course, that might just be my wishful thinking.  Heh, heh, heh.

I look forward to more chapters of this great story.  Much appreciated, Eric.

#78 2018-12-15 20:31:59

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

That bit of information would have been very little additional torment for David if he had lost.  He would have been imprisoned in the Demon Chapel for all eternity, probably seeing no more than a handful of people a year, most of whom he'd just as soon kill as talk to. (Keep in mind the kind of people who would normally visit the Demon Chapel...)

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#79 2018-12-15 22:15:04

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

bigfoot wrote:

When did David get promoted to a level 7 conjurer and is it because he can teleport?

You'll note at the end of book 7 that Prof. Blackstone mentioned contacting the guild and having David retested.

It's not because he can teleport, per se.  It's because he is a strong enough conjurer to teleport.  There are other things he can do that other level 5's and 6's can't.  (I will leave those ambiguous for now, thank you very much.)

Also, I'm sure this has been asked and answered but why do some guilds (like the Callamandian Royal Potions Guild) have their highest rank as a Level 1 Master but others (like the Callamandian Royal Conjurers Association) have their highest rank as a (now) Level 7 conjurer? Wouldn't it make more sense to be consistant using the higher or lower number to indicate achievement in rank? After all, a 1st Dan black belt is never higher than a 10th Dan black belt regardless of the style of martial arts practiced.

And yet a first lieutenant outranks a second lieutenant, and a Private First Class outranks a Private.

Yes, the question has been asked and answered before.  I will answer it again, anyway.

The supposed universality of the dan system in martial arts is anything but.  While a good number of east Asian martial arts use the dan system, they do not use it the same way.  Some arts have ten dan levels.  Some have nine.  Some only have five.  And if you want to discuss the kyu levels (you know, the colored belts), there is no consistency whatsoever.

But here's the thing:  This isn't what we're discussing at all when you suggest that all the guilds in Callamandia use the same ranking system.  We're not talking about Taekwondo and Karate using the same system.  You're suggesting that the same system should be used by Karate and... chess!  (The ranking system for chess, by the way, is derived from a mathematical formula!)

The guilds are not two groups performing the same tasks.  They're not even performing similar tasks.  You're comparing blacksmiths to bakers, rocket scientists to brain surgeons.  They are not even remotely comparable.

Further, the guilds were established independently of each other, at vastly differing times.  Some guilds are hundreds of years old.  The newest one... was created by David and Ellen.  Each of them sets their own by-laws, their own system of recognizing people.  The systems are necessarily different because the type of skill is different.  You could not, for instance, use the same setup for potion making and peg riding, or conjuring and divination.  As such, the systems would have been tailored to meet the needs of the guilds.  Naming conventions would have been determined at the beginning of the guild, with a mind toward "where is expansion going to be likely?"

What I mean by that is, do you know where the upper edge of your skill set is?  Is it fully established that there is no more growth beyond this point?  If so, then you should place your highest level at position 1, because it allows you to create as many positions below the maximum as you need, and allows for simplicity in reorganization, if that should be necessary. Level 1 would always be the best.

However, if you are unsure of where the limit of your craft is, then it is foolish to start at level 1 for the strongest, because when someone stronger is found, you have to rearrange everybody.  In a system where level 1 is the entry level, stronger people are more easily accomodated.

In other words, which way you arrange the system should depend on which end of the system is most likely to change in the future.  The Royal Potions Guild knew that there wasn't really anywhere "up" to go from being able to craft base potions with ease and inventing potions.  Therefore, their system was arranged to make it easier to allow for lesser skilled people to possibly be admitted to the guild.

On the other hand, the Royal Conjuring Association did not - and perhaps does not - know where the top of its craft lies.  As such, it would be bad practice to put position 1 as the maximum of the system.

Ultimately, they are different because I wanted to make it sound real, and organizations do not consult each other when creating their structures.  The guilds are not part of some larger trade union, but unique, individual agencies serving their own needs.  Yes, they have royal dispensation, but as you saw from the scene with David and Ellen, that wasn't about nit-picky shit like rank structure.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#80 2018-12-16 03:44:55

Daedalus
Tipsy

Eric Storm wrote:

That bit of information would have been very little additional torment for David if he had lost.  He would have been imprisoned in the Demon Chapel for all eternity, probably seeing no more than a handful of people a year, most of whom he'd just as soon kill as talk to. (Keep in mind the kind of people who would normally visit the Demon Chapel...)

Eric Storm

He also had a network of friends, a vast fortune, and the idiot told him exactly what needed to be done to break the curse. David had also assumed that Daily was going to kill his parents, which would mean one of them would turn into a demighost unless there was some sort of timing mechanism before that part of the curse became active. So he'd have someone more amicable to act as an agent for him than just the next random person to die in the demon chapel. 

So really, if Daily had succeeded in trapping David, him not being able to trust his friends to help is the only thing that probably would prevent him from getting out.

In any case I'm 95% sure where the "Dean Lengel betrayed you" plot is going, but I'm keeping it to myself. 3dsmile

#81 2018-12-29 05:47:07

ChiefRock
Wasted

Eric I just finished a reread of this new chapter. First I am worried about you friend, your scene about Davids dark side is scary please reassure me it came from background research, I know PTSD can come from other things than actual combat but Eric it is scary how close you nail the essence.
Now I have a few thoughts I do not want any reply too they are strictly to give you possible ideas, use them or discard them or even modify them if you wish. Strategically Davids ability could lead a terrific counter attack deep into verrudan territory. Either alone or as part of a coordinated team he could wreak havoc behind the main force. destroy army groups like a ghost spread fear, havoc and destruction. the consequences could go either way from weres retreat too retribution. Either would make good story. During the civil war the south had it's grey ghost David could easily use some of those tactics, strike without warning, spread over as broad an area as possible where the enemy would invent atrocities that did not actually happen or not caused by david. Callamandia will need to use tactics like this. Please read around my penmanship and please do not tear me apart Eric if none of this fits then just ignore it

Last edited by ChiefRock (2018-12-29 05:53:37)

My worst day at sea is better than my best day ashore
I found a home in the navy-but they land airplanes on my roof

#82 2018-12-30 04:08:41

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

If you're referring to the actual torture scene, it came from my own imagination, plus discussion with one or two other people who watch horror movies (I don't).  There's a REASON I don't watch horror/ghost movies:  My nightmares afterward are far worse than the movies.  My imagination is quite frightening at times, even to me.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#83 2018-12-30 06:24:11

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

Eric,
IMO, you could possibly have been more graphic in that scene, but what you wrote was really the minimum which would get the horror across. One aspect of that horror is David's mindset during the scene and you married those parts very well.
That being said, I hope you have been able to exorcise that horror from your own mind or, at least, compartmentalize it so that it does not affect your dreams.

#84 2019-02-26 02:18:33

spectro
Tipsy

One thing I keep wondering is when, if ever, earth weaponry will be taken advantage of. Sniper rifle has already proven pretty effective against magical defenses and doesnt leave a magical trace. For unusual and unexpected tactics, maybe even hire some earth sharpshooter mercenaries?

(posted from Chapter 1: June)

#85 2019-02-26 04:36:20

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Earth weapons require resupply.  While one sharpshooter (or even ten) wouldn't require a lot of supplies, they would also become intensely targeted.  Like destroying the entire section of forest they were hiding in kind of targeted.

And they have no protections against magical weapons at all.  Even the smallest energy ball hit would kill them outright.

Not to mention, Vrudenan weres hate humans.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#86 2019-02-26 19:59:48

Archangel1962
Wasted

A earth sniper with a magic using spotter would be in my opinion a effective strategy.

BALLAD of The US Navy SEAL Teams
Im a lover, a fighter, I'm a UDT Navy SEAL diver. Last of the bare-knuckle fighters.
No muff too tough, I dive for five, tuck, suck, fuck, nibble and chew.I dine and interwine, masturbate, ejaculate and copulate.Been around the world twice, and talked to everyone once. Seen two white whales fuck, and been to two pigmy picnics.Met a man from Nantucket with a marble head and wooden cock, and ladies, if you dont like my face you can sit on it.

#87 2019-02-27 01:36:34

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Which part of Vrudenan weres hate humans was unclear?

Think of the person or group you loathe most.  Would you be able to stomach the idea of relying on them to be successful in the most important task you've ever performed?  Even if you succeeded, you'd never be able to call it your success.

And, on a more practical note: the magic user would be a beacon to every wizard within range of the gun.  Sure, he'd be protecting the sniper... right up to the point where a hundred different shots obliterated him, the sniper, the hill the sniper was lying on, and perhaps the one behind that, as well...  This tactic would be treated as both cowardly*, and a dire danger.  The Callamandian Army would focus its entirety on the removal of this weapon before even bothering with the normal werewolves.  So, yes, it would work for a few days... and that's all.

Eric Storm

* Not cowardly because he's a sniper.  Cowardly because he's relying on Earth weaponry, rather than his own skills as a wizard.  Most Callamandian wizards would disdain machinery as "convoluted techno junk".

----
Facebook page

#88 2019-02-27 02:12:10

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

Ok, I'm confused... are we talking about vrudenans hiring human snipers or calamandians hiring snipers?  Besides we already had this discussion either a few pages ago, or else near the end of year 7.

Eric doesn't like the idea so it's not going to happen.  😉

#89 2019-02-27 03:32:01

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Hmm.... You know, they never specified.  I automatically assumed they were talking about the weres hiring mercenaries, as that's what I consider a dishonorable move, and that's not the Callamandians' style.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#90 2019-02-27 07:44:50

Seumus1
Inebriated

Instead of hiring mercs, how about Earth-dwelling Callamandians returning home to fight, but adding some Earth weapons in certain tactical situations? Silenced pistols and SMGs could prove useful at times.

#91 2019-02-27 15:55:05

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

...to what end?  What is it you think a suppressed (there is no such thing as a "silencer") weapon would bring to the table?

You say "certain tactical situations", which makes me think you're thinking special operations.  Why would a wizard need a gun in such a situation, when he can just use his magic, which he COULD do silently?  (Before you say that a gun cannot be traced magically, the sound it produces will give it away anyway.  Again, there is no such thing as a silencer.)

And you mention "Earth-dwelling Callamandians".  First, the number of these is very limited: you don't become a Callamandian until you've passed your Citizenship Exam.  Most wizards who put themselves through this hell stay in Callamandia.  There would be some small number who don't, however...

... but they would have a reason for leaving Callamandia, so why would they return?  It's like someone immigrating to the US from, say, Ukraine, then going back to fight the Russians.  Who is going to willingly put themselves into harm's way for a nation they've walked away from?

But let's say you manage to find as many as a hundred of them, to form up a company of "Earth-amandians".  How many of those do you think are going to know how to use a suppressed weapon good enough to be of any help?  Be aware that "use" doesn't just mean firing it.  Any idiot can be taught to fire a weapon in a few minutes.  After that, there's learning how to fire it accurately, and then, even more importantly, how to maintain the weapon.  Unless you've been trained, this is not an intuitive skill.

Not to mention my earlier point:  Callamandian wizards are going to disdain a technological solution to a problem.  Non-wizards are called "technos" for a reason.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#92 2019-02-28 01:56:45

adultswim3
Inebriated

Not to get on the gun bandwagon since I agree they are mostly impractical compared to magic, but I was curious what would happen if they fired weapons from inside a privacy field?

#93 2019-02-28 02:31:00

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

They would hit a random target.  Privacy fields are opaque unless there is an imminent danger to the person inside the field.  It would silence the weapon, yes... but it would be easily visible, even at night, so it would negate the usefulness of the silence.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#94 2019-04-13 02:54:27

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

I hate to say it but might have to take a page out of Daesh's play book clear out cities in their path sooner and WND the ever loving hell out of the cities

(posted from Chapter 2: July)

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#95 2019-04-13 11:40:17

Maverick7508
Inebriated

Another awesome chapter. Glad to see you still at it and I will try to contain my anticipation of the coming chapters.
P.S. I think its time to introduce the weres to a very affordable and rude friend named Willie Pete. Rig a whole town with that stuff and you should take a few out and make them much less interested in towns.

(posted from the Item Information Page)

#96 2019-04-13 13:28:03

ozygonzo
Inebriated

brilliant as always can't wait for the next chapter I think the wait was worth it

'I Wish I Was A Glow Worm, A Glow Worm Is Never Glum, Cuz' How can you Be Grumpy, When The Sun Shines Out Your Bum

#97 2019-04-13 14:17:03

dusty
Tipsy

Great chapter Eric, this by far my favorite series! I reread WAY over and over. Esteem chapters to heighten my suspense for the next chapter.  I’m hoping at some point there is big bad ass battle at the school with David, the teachers, and the gargoyles defending the school and students.  Or some friendly dragons arrive and claim the school as their territory and ask the weres if they want to start a war with their dragon clan over the school. Great job Eric, I’m absolutely loving it!

#98 2019-04-13 14:19:07

dusty
Tipsy

Esteem should have been “between† damn autocorrect is annoying

#99 2019-04-13 15:08:45

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Neitherspace wrote:

I hate to say it but might have to take a page out of Daesh's play book clear out cities in their path sooner and WND the ever loving hell out of the cities

For the safety of me not banning you from the website, I'll pretend you didn't suggest that the good guys act like ISIS.  And I'm pretty sure they're "WMD"s...  Either that, or you're using another term I'm completely unfamiliar with.  (Had to look up Daesh...)

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#100 2019-04-13 15:11:14

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Maverick7508 wrote:

Another awesome chapter. Glad to see you still at it and I will try to contain my anticipation of the coming chapters.
P.S. I think its time to introduce the weres to a very affordable and rude friend named Willie Pete. Rig a whole town with that stuff and you should take a few out and make them much less interested in towns.

(posted from the Item Information Page)

And if a few innocent Callamandian children, who don't know anything about white phosphorus and are just trying to live out their lives, happen to get mutilated or killed in the process, that's okay, right?

There's a reason booby traps aren't considered good policy.  They kill indiscriminately.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

Board footer