The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#326 2020-01-01 09:33:54

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: Woodward Academy, Year 8, The

The banishment spell is demighost magic, not ghost magic or wizard magic.  They can banish in any place they can actually see the ghost in question.

It's fairly safe to assume that the mortessor lives in the "depths" of Haven, not near the borders, so David would HAVE to be in Haven to do it, because otherwise he wouldn't be able to see the ghost in question.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#327 2020-01-01 21:50:28

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

By the way, I keep forgetting to post this, as I said I would:  This last chapter contains one of those pre-written scenes I mentioned.

I'll let you figure out which one.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#328 2020-01-02 19:17:17

Elessar
Completely Blotto

What do you mean by pre-written scenes?

#329 2020-01-03 01:21:40

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

Eric told us, if I am remembering correctly, that he wrote several scenes for later use.  I don't remember when he told us this, but I believe it was while writing year 5 or 6.  Anyway, he already knew how he wanted those scenes to go even though he didn't have the stuff that went around those scenes done or figured out.  So, he's inserted one of the mentioned scenes into this chapter.  Good luck trying to figure it out what scenes was written a couple years or more ago though, since I don't remember him give much if any details on the scenes.

#330 2020-01-03 01:45:30

Elessar
Completely Blotto

Ah, now I vaguely remember something along those lines. If I spend enough time I should be able to see the difference.

Barbarian3165 wrote:

Eric told us, if I am remembering correctly, that he wrote several scenes for later use.  I don't remember when he told us this, but I believe it was while writing year 5 or 6.  Anyway, he already knew how he wanted those scenes to go even though he didn't have the stuff that went around those scenes done or figured out.  So, he's inserted one of the mentioned scenes into this chapter.  Good luck trying to figure it out what scenes was written a couple years or more ago though, since I don't remember him give much if any details on the scenes.

#331 2020-02-08 19:42:55

islandman79#
Inebriated

Q&A. What date is the upcoming Woodward update for season 8?

(posted from the Item Information Page)

#332 2020-02-08 21:16:55

thehilz
Completely Blotto

Probably a couple of weeks after Eric is able finish writing the next chapter(maybe quicker if reviewers respond back to him quicker than they have in the past.

#333 2020-02-09 02:35:56

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

thehilz: Why did you respond?  He said "Q&A".  It's not our fault he forgot to provide the answer...

3dbig_smile

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#334 2020-02-10 01:14:07

Elessar
Completely Blotto

I thought they were years... Not seasons... As in school year? Since there are 4 seasons in a year... and one book covers a year...

islandman79# wrote:

Q&A. What date is the upcoming Woodward update for season 8?

(posted from the Item Information Page)

#335 2020-02-10 02:38:05

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I completely ignored that part.  I'm assuming he was using "Season" in the "TV series" manner.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#336 2020-02-17 20:14:53

Crusader
Wasted

Eric Storm wrote:

thehilz: Why did you respond?  He said "Q&A".  It's not our fault he forgot to provide the answer...

3dbig_smile

Eric Storm

Ha!

#337 2020-02-24 09:50:34

thehilz
Completely Blotto

Really liked seeing Shell again. Found David’s conversation with the ocean dragon very informative. If I remember right in book one Olissa said that dragons came from eggs. Is the difference in types of birth simply land dragon vs ocean dragon or is there more to it? Or is calling herself pregnant mean that the egg hadn’t hatched/ been laid yet?
Will be semi patiently wait for the next chapter.

P.S. Glad I checked the website one last time before going to bed. Reading the new chapter much better than getting an extra hour of sleep 3dbig_smile

#338 2020-02-24 11:33:51

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Just like a chicken, you have the formation of the egg, the laying of the egg, and the hatching of the egg.  During egg formation is when the chicken (or the dragon) is actually "pregnant".  Once the egg is out, they're free to make another egg.  (Granted, they DON'T, right away, but they COULD, is the point.)

In fact, the egg is what would have to be delivered to David.  Tiamat said that her daughter wouldn't be able to handle saltwater, so she couldn't hatch in the ocean.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#339 2020-02-25 04:24:01

Elessar
Completely Blotto

I have to say, it took a few turns I didn’t expect. At least not in the order they happened, I expected the next piece but didn’t think it would be that one yet, as the Dragon mentioned, I thought it would have been last.

I like the play on the new bombs, earth tech turned magical. Course I thought the battery power residue would compound if a lot are stacked up.

(posted from Chapter 6: November)

#340 2020-02-25 05:01:20

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I said the batteries would be discernible at a greater range if stacked together on a table.  I suggested they'd be detectable from 500% the distance of a single unit.  That's a fair amount of compounding.  It's just that the initial distance is so minor that the compounded distance isn't really important, either.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#341 2020-02-25 15:00:33

bigfoot
Wasted

Question about the David/Shell coupling in WAY8. Before he departed the ocean, she called him Sedna ("Oh, Sedna, you need to fuck me now," Shell growled.). Why?

#342 2020-02-25 19:09:02

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I never did find a good place to explain that line.  She was not referring to David at that second.  That expression was the equivalent of her saying, "Oh, God..."  Probably should have searched harder for a way to include an explanation, but it just... never fit.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#343 2020-02-26 03:43:36

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

I don't know about anybody else, but that is exactly what I read in that phrase. I read "Oh, Sedna" as some variety of "Oh, gawd".

#344 2020-02-26 04:42:30

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Which is how it was meant.  Only a monotheistic religion would ever wind up with the epithet, "Oh, God!"  Polytheists might end up with "By the gods!" or "By the goddesses!" or something like that, but Christianity is the only religion I know of* where the title and the name are the same:  their god is named God. (Unimaginative bastards, if you ask me...  3dsmile  )

Sedna is the merfolkian goddess of the sea... so, pretty high up in the pantheon.

Eric Storm

* I am not clear on whether Arabic "Allah" is just a name, or actually also the noun for "a god".  Google Translate suggests there are other words for "a god", so...  *shrugs*

----
Facebook page

#345 2020-02-27 05:02:08

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

Religious discussion alert - - - -
Allah would be comparable to the anglicisation of the Hebrew name, יְהֹוָה (Jehovah). � ֱלֹהִי�  is another Hebrew name, normally anglicised to Elohim.

- - - idiotic webpage can understand some Hebrew characters, but not all.

BTW - God is not Anglo, it is Germanic - derived from Gott.

Last edited by darthel0101 (2020-02-27 05:19:40)

#346 2020-02-27 06:22:14

Elessar
Completely Blotto

I at first thought it might have been written wrong, but reread it and had just assumed Sedna was a goddess and that I had missed that explanation.

darthel0101 wrote:

I don't know about anybody else, but that is exactly what I read in that phrase. I read "Oh, Sedna" as some variety of "Oh, gawd".

#347 2020-02-27 07:28:07

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Um... who said anything about "God" being Anglo?

And your impression, Elessar, is why I didn't struggle too hard to find a place for the explanation when one didn't readily appear.  I figured most people would figure it out from context.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#348 2020-02-27 13:49:58

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

The name of the Christian deity is not God; it is Jehovah, The Great I Am.
The title of the Christian deity is the anglicised version of the Germanic word, Gott. Gotta love how much the Germanics influenced the development of English.

#349 2020-02-27 20:25:16

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

darthel0101 wrote:

The name of the Christian deity is not God; it is Jehovah, The Great I Am.

Hate to burst your bubble here, Darthel, but no, it's not.

Jehovah is A name for God, but as you pointed out earlier, it's really just the translation of Yahweh, a Jewish name for God.

First, it must be accepted that there are numerous names for God, usually intended to depict different aspects of His nature.  However, what we are talking about here is the "primary" name: the name that actually gets used.  The equivalent of referring to me as "Eric".

I spent nearly 30 years going to Christian churches: United Methodist, non-denominational, Baptist.  NO ONE used the name "Jehovah" with any frequency.  The only name for the Christian deity that you will hear each and every week is... God.  That makes it his Christian name.  I don't even know that the Jehovah's Witnesses refer to God as Jehovah most of the time.  (I've never attended a JW service, so they might... but I don't remember them using it that much in their doorstep conversations...)

I mean, really, the "Assemblies of God" would have a very odd name if "God" wasn't the name of their deity.  And Jesus isn't referred to as the "Son of Jehovah".  He is (allegedly) the Son of God.  And "goddammit" wouldn't be "taking The Lord's name in vain" (which it is universally considered to be by Christians) if His name wasn't, in fact, "God".  Likewise, the phrase wouldn't be "God bless you" if they didn't feel His name was God.  For the record, neither "Jehovah-dammit", nor "Jehovah bless you" are "things".

This is a case where both history and etymology are 100% irrelevant.  Current usage is the only thing that actually matters.  It's not important how Christians came to the point that their God's name (to THEM) is "God".  It's only important that it is.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#350 2020-02-27 20:36:01

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Oh, and "I AM" was a typo.  His name's actually Ian.

3dtongue

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

Board footer