Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#276 2019-10-23 02:25:17

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: Woodward Academy, Year 8, The

darthel:

Sorry I never answered your question.  I didn't see it until just now.

The problem with your concept is that people have this annoying tendency to move around, and conjuring requires some amount of time to complete.  Trying to get it inside them before they moved would be very difficult.

Also, who would he have done this to?  He doesn't come into contact with a lot of important enemy soldiers.  Trying to do this to line soldiers wouldn't be worth the effort, so it would be reserved for commanders and such... but David doesn't come into contact with a whole lot of those.

A side point:  David would obviously NOT use a "chemical".  He is a potions master.  He would use a potion if he was going to do this.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#277 2019-10-23 04:43:57

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

Thanks for the response.
RE chemical -vs.- potion: that is just my way of speaking/thinking and was only a thought.

#278 2019-10-26 14:00:39

Fatesknight
Tipsy

Ok just a thought and totally something cool that might be awesome fight ... an orbital drop. Let me draw you into this fighting going on all around David has developed something i.e. a potion or poison puts said item in glass orb and then has cupcake or some others means that could fly him up high enough and he has to fall with the potion or poison because it needs a final ingredient or charm that has to be done within a few second before impact he would fall then and maybe either transfer just himself over to haven where it has been mention he can fly or teleports himself to safety or maybe something goes wrong this is just an idea hope you enjoyed the idea and cant wait to read more have to get prm next month I am enjoying this too much will be donating

(posted from the Item Information Page)

#279 2019-10-26 19:25:57

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Okay, let's look at the things this overlooks:

First off, David can float in Haven, not fly.  The difference is in height.  He cannot suspend himself a hundred feet off the ground, he can hover two or three feet above the ground.  He would not be able to use this floating ability to slow himself significantly before reaching the ground.

Second, we lack a clear understanding of the nature of Haven, to know what would happen here.  On one hand, we have seen David move right through hills while in Haven, and we've seen him float up the side of Mt. Woodward.  On the other hand, as ghosts CAN only "float", and not "fly", it implies that Haven has some sense of "height above the ground"... which means there has to BE a "ground".  Might it be the case that a ghost COULD get hurt by hitting this Haven-ground too hard?  We just don't know.  More importantly, David doesn't know, either.  He wouldn't risk it without better information, and the only way to get that information would be to potentially seriously injure himself.

Third, you're asking for him to cast a spell and fade at virtually the same moment.

And, finally, and perhaps most importantly:

Why doesn't David just ghost himself and walk to where he needs the potion to explode?

Eric Storm

PS:  David would never use Cupcake in battle.  It's a violation of the principles of a Peg Rider, which state that you do not willingly put your peg into harm's way.  That's why they're not allowed to even fly at night.

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#280 2019-11-09 14:34:52

nukeman24
Inebriated

Haha stikemdair lol

#281 2019-11-09 22:10:59

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

3dsmile

Every once in awhile I go against my usual method of creating spells, and just go with something that sounds neat.  This is one of those.  ( "sku iji" was another one. )

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#282 2019-11-10 00:37:09

bigfoot
Wasted

Reading WAY8 October and came across a couple of names that (I believe)  reference old TV characters/actors. Is the medical examiner, Dr. Jordan, a reference to the TV show Crossing Jordan (starring Jill Hennessy)? Also, is Vigax Dorn (in charge of the security force) a reference to the actor Michael Dorn who played Security Officer Worf of Star Trek TNG?

#283 2019-11-10 01:34:07

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

A stern-looking tall black security officer named Dorn, and you're having to ASK???

And yes, Examiner Jordan Cavanaugh (yes, her last name IS Cavanaugh, she's been mentioned previously, I think in book 7) is a reference to Crossing Jordan.  I think Jill Hennessy is hot.

You apparently missed the Wopat/Schneider references...

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#284 2019-11-10 01:42:11

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Just a hint for any reference-hunters out there:  You're never going to find references to "modern" TV shows, because I don't watch network TV anymore.  (The signal-to-noise ratio is too damned low to bother.)  So all TV references are going to be at least a decade "out of date"... or they'll be from a show airing on a channel like Science, NatGeo, Animal Planet or History.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#285 2019-11-10 04:50:43

ChiefRock
Wasted

David perhaps not your best work but it will do--ummm actually very very well. I thank you and applaud your originality and creative talent

My worst day at sea is better than my best day ashore
I found a home in the navy-but they land airplanes on my roof

#286 2019-11-10 08:39:59

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Erm... I guess I'll pass that along?

<-- not named "David"...

3dtongue

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#287 2019-11-10 11:56:42

dude8
Inebriated

Was Mr. Laramie introduced at some point earlier or was he just a random neighbor or something?

#288 2019-11-10 16:29:51

thehilz
Completely Blotto

Yet another thrilling chapter. Looking forward to a resolution on the question of David’s schooling and Daily’s involvement. Made me smile when the discussion of using Earth technology came up. Kinda reminded me of the discussion on the forum here about that. Keep up the excellent work.

#289 2019-11-10 20:24:36

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Gee, an author actually paying attention to their readers.  What will I think of next?

3dbig_smile

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#290 2019-11-11 00:39:24

Sdragon
Inebriated
Website

It would be funny as shit if he tainted their food with highly effective super concentrated laxatives. Can't fight if you can't stop crapping your guts out 3dwink.

(posted from Chapter 5: October)

#291 2019-11-11 00:45:58

mikkelsonr
Tipsy

How could Schultz get promoted if he "Knows Nothing"?

#292 2019-11-11 04:45:56

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Sdragon:  That tactic has already been used in this story.  Must be where you saw it.

Mikkelsonr: Even in HH, he made it to Sergeant... and the episode where he was made Kommandant for a day showed that he damn well knew his job better than Klink did. 

3dtongue

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#293 2019-11-11 10:07:39

bigfoot
Wasted

Eric - As WA winds itself down with a mere seven chapters to go, I have to wonder if you have any plans for ghost-Joe to make an appearance? While not discussed in WAY8October, the obvious theme of future chapters is whether David will be able to keep true to his nature and not become a remorseless killing machine (then again, he did execute the traitor in an efficient, if not drawn-out manner). I'm thinking ghost Joe can appear an help David remember who he is, If anything, he can remind him of the promise he made to look after Zyla and Grace, something he wouldn't be able to do if he embraces the dark side.

#294 2019-11-11 18:39:58

Maverick7508
Inebriated

Good to see another chapter and a cracking good one at that. Keep up the good work sir, we all appreciate it.

(posted from Chapter 5: October)

#295 2019-11-11 19:41:21

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Bigfoot:

Joe would have no way to know what David is going through.  If he was staying anywhere near Zyla/David, we would have seen him long before now.  Ghosts do not, as a rule, stick around their "early" families after they pass.  As such, Joe would not be aware of David's issues.

Eric Storm

PS:  There would be no way to convince someone that, "If you're on the dark side, you can't look after someone."  Consider that the entire reason David is struggling with his dark side is because he is trying to protect people from others.  David's response would be, "If this is what I have to do to keep them safe, then this is what I'll do."

----
Facebook page

#296 2019-11-11 20:32:46

HendrixMorton
Inebriated

Great chapter, thank you!!  Also what a way to handle stupid bureaucrats...I think we have all run into idiots like that and would like to treat them like David did... 3dsmile

#297 2019-11-12 06:03:11

armegeddon
Tipsy

What's wrong with chipped beef on toast? Shit-on-a-shingle was one of the most popular items when I was in boot camp. I still eat it at least once a month to this day.

#298 2019-11-12 07:36:08

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Then you're gross.  Blech.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#299 2019-11-12 07:56:48

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

Hey!!! While I don't get much chance to eat chipped beef, I am a fan... and I was never served chipped beef while in the army.

#300 2019-11-12 16:47:57

HendrixMorton
Inebriated

Lived on that stuff during college back in the 80s....those $.50 boiling bags were the bomb!!

Board footer