The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-30 17:21:01

Maverick7508
Inebriated

Site impact of EU Article 13

Hey Eric, I was wondering if the Article 13 that is coming up for a vote in the EU parliament in June is gonna affect the site. It is requiring either that websites hosting posted material get licensing for any potential copyrighted material posted or the site can use upload filters to prevent posting of copyrighted material. This also extends to forums and comment sections.

#2 2018-05-30 19:03:10

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: Site impact of EU Article 13

I do not live in the EU.

This site is not hosted in the EU.

I do not do business in the EU (as I do not do business).

The EU can go piss up a flagpole.

Eric Storm

PS:  This site's rules already stipulate that, in order to post work here, it must belong to you, or you have the express written consent of the copyright holder.  I have no intention of trying to do anything beyond that.

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#3 2018-05-31 00:39:28

Maverick7508
Inebriated

Understood. Only reason I asked was that this looked like it could effect sites viewable in EU and thusly would require compliance or a ban of site from all EU ISPs to prevent legal issue. Also, as there is an issue with posting links to or copying from copyrighted material, I was concerned this could affect stories and commenters that referenced copyrighted material. My apologies if I misunderstood the situation, I just wanted to see this site carry on, as the content posted here is interesting and engaging.

#4 2018-05-31 07:42:07

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I can do nothing about what the EU stupidly chooses to do.  I do not have a team of lawyers to inform me what four hundred steps need to be taken to try to satisfy the whims of a foreign government as they relate to my website.  Apparently, if a mere reference to copyrighted material is enough for them to get their panties in a bunch, they are unfamiliar with the phrase "fair use".

In any case, I have neither the time nor the inclination to try to deal with that bunch of jackasses.  I have enough trouble dealing with the bunch of jackasses running my own country.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

Board footer