The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#601 2018-05-19 01:42:34

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: Woodward Academy, Year 7, The

Oh, and I suppose I should point out one of the best reasons NOT to use a technique such as the aquamandy-water-tunnel-river-walk:  The use of magic is detectable.  Especially when it appears in a place where, generally speaking, it shouldn't be.  And this would require a LOT of magic.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#602 2018-05-19 03:19:15

Timberwolf92
Inebriated

Just finished rereading January and realized that while all this elemental manipulation talk is stimulating another reason it is not likely to work as weres are more often better at it then humans.

#603 2018-05-19 03:35:28

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Hmm.  Interesting inference, but I don't think I actually said that.  I just said it was one of the things weres were good at.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#604 2018-05-22 10:05:27

Crusader
Wasted

Wouldnt David need to stay invisible on a commercial plane the entire way then?
Or
Am i giving the tsa to much credit when i assume there must be a barcode on each ticket that they have to scan verifying the person has been through screening? Which leads to a further assumptions on the airlines being able to verify the screening... requiring a network shared across multiple companies and a government agency... i think i answered my own question.

#605 2018-05-22 19:43:55

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

As far as I am aware, there is no communication between TSA and the airlines whatsoever.  Further, as a law enforcement officer (Rimohrs would be considered as such), he could probably bypass TSA the "normal" way, by simply showing his credentials.  (It's pointless to run an armed federal agent through TSA screening...)

And even if he DID have to stay invisible... so what?  As long as there was an empty seat or two on the plane, it wouldn't be a problem for him in the slightest...

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#606 2018-05-22 20:18:18

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Here's the truth of the matter, though: Wizards would be banned from all commercial airlines.  Why?

Security.

The TSA is concerned with you bringing onboard a fucking POCKET KNIFE.  A wizard is a BOMB... he can cause an explosion of the plane at any time, without any other tools whatsoever.  He could use various kinds of magic to cause the airliner to stop flying without any obvious mechanical malfunction.  (Conjure away all the gas in the tanks in an instant... whoops, your airliner is now a slightly aerodynamic rock...)  Hijacking the plane?  Easier than boarding.  Getting through the cockpit door?  Well, a quick disintegration spell, and there would be no cockpit door.  No... wizards would be far too dangerous to let them fly with the general public.

But we won't let this bit of reality get in the way of our fun. 
3dsmile

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#607 2018-05-22 20:24:27

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

For the record, while there appears to be no clear-cut answer online about whether the TSA communicates with the airlines, several things I read suggest that there is some kind of system that they can all access.

So David would probably have gone the "I am a Rimohr, let me through" path... assuming he needed to.  The last time I went through security, it took less than 5 minutes.  And no, I do not have any of those fancy pre-check things... the last time I was on an airplane (last September) was the first time in a quarter century.  So, it's entirely possible that he would simply have waited through TSA screening, unless he was close to missing the flight.

Of course, this all ignores the "wizards would be banned" post I just made... I will continue to ignore that.  3dsmile

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#608 2018-05-23 18:41:42

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

David would only be banned from the flight, because he's a wizard, if they KNEW he was a wizard. To my knowledge, magical power does not show up on those bomb and weapons scanning X-Ray devices. And even if the average wizard is banned from commercial airlines, I doubt Rimohrs would be. Like you said, Eric, they're law enforcement. The rest of us aren't allowed to fly armed but law enforcement does it all the time. So why would a general wizard ban keep a Rimohr out?

But I do agree with you. I seriously doubt Earth governments are keeping no-fly lists on known wizards so it would be simple for David to just get on a plane. He wouldn't need to identify himself as a wizard or a Rimohr. As long as he can pay, and as long as he doesn't cause trouble, they have no reason to keep him off the plane.

I do wonder what kind of affect David being dead, or undead, would have on those drug and bomb sniffing dogs though.

#609 2018-05-24 07:36:47

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

While the body scanner that we know about cannot detect a wizard... what if there is an extra, magical, component built into them to detect a wizard's life signature?  We know that they have one, as it has been used in some of David's cases.  Also, keep in mind that Rimohrs are, in fact, required to enforce local laws broken by wizards.  Thus, if it is against the law for wizards to fly commercial, the Rimohrs would be required to enforce that rule.  Such a thing would probably be dealt with through the same kind of trace as the unlicensed use of magic and other such wide-field traces. 

Of course, another option would be for every commercial aircraft to carry the same enchantments used at the criminal management facilities, that prevent the use of magic.  This would simply require the airlines (or the FAA) to employ a group of wizards to emplace the enchantment.

As I said, I'm going to basically ignore this little issue, because it's far too sticky to deal with.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#610 2018-05-26 03:51:13

StoryJunkie
Wasted

Pshhh Reality..it has no place in fiction novels lol

The only thing David has said about flying is that Jaila has to be a statue (no live birds allowed) I so agree with you Eric on just leaving it alone as it can be a very sticky thing to try and get into....but I also see the Law Enforcement angle being useful.

oh well, that's my contribution to this weeks postings 3dwink

#611 2018-05-26 04:42:14

Crusader
Wasted

I like the idea of the body scanners being magical. Granted you can ask for a pat down to bypass the scanner...
I also like the ignoring the issue.

https://youtu.be/lg6xSjVX38M

#612 2018-05-27 23:26:54

bigfoot
Wasted

Out of curiosity, will David be able to take his A2 exam before his participation in the war? If not, how does it work in terms of retesting?

#613 2018-05-28 01:15:42

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

You'll find out the answer to the first question in chapter 12.  The answer to the second is, they have three chances to take each test, so he would be able to take it in his eighth year, whenever that occurred.  It would, however, prevent him from getting his magistrate's decree, unless some kind of waiver or special decree by the king was issued, because you can only take one test per year, and you can only go to school for eight years.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#614 2018-05-28 03:42:53

bigfoot
Wasted

One would hope there would be an exemption particularly if compulsorily conscripted.

#615 2018-05-28 20:36:56

Crusader
Wasted

Eric Storm wrote:

...only go to school for eight years.

Eric Storm

Wait what? I thought that Woodward only allowing students 8 years was a school policy. The way you say that makes me think it is a governmental policy...

I always figured anything you didn't finish could be achieved at a different school.

#616 2018-05-28 22:26:22

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Why would the school do that, if it wasn't a governmental policy?

The purpose of the deadline is to keep the system moving.  Otherwise, a student could theoretically take up to nineteen years to complete college.  (No, it's not 24, like you might be thinking.  And it's not 22, like you might be thinking if you take into account you can't really "fail" your first year.  Remember that if a student does not pass their Citizenship Exam before turning 25, they are forced to go live in Earth.  This puts a limit to how many times you can fail your earlier exams before passing your CE.)

Now, okay, there aren't going to be many students going the full 19 years, but there would be a sufficient number to cause problems in the system.  Those "slow" students would be taking up resources that new students need.

Further, if you take the maximum time allowable to pass your CE, which is seven years, then you are probably not intelligent enough to perform the jobs that the other tests will certify you for.  Or you're not emotionally mature enough for them...

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#617 2018-05-29 07:35:41

StoryJunkie
Wasted

Is it 8 consecutive years only? I kind of thought that if he had to stop in the coming year (year 8) he could finish his last year when he got back from the war....it may take 9 years (this is assuming that the war only lasts one year) but he was only there for 8 years. I mean after year 3 or 4 (I don't remember right off the top of my head what the exams were for these years) everything becomes directed study, couldn't someone theoretically take off a year or two and get a job somewhere, then decide to get some more education and go back to school?

#618 2018-05-29 07:55:03

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

So, what would happen if David had been 26 when he became a demighost?  He'd already be past the 25 year old age limit and couldn't go to dugerra at all?  Or would he only be able to be in Dugerra when he was at school?  Or would he just be thrown in jail for all eternity since he would be 26 years old and a demighost?

I get the 8 years of education... but I also understand you can apprentice to learn new subjects or improve a subject or skill.  You could also study on your own or with friends and family that know more then you do.  I'm sure that in some families, the parents may continue the advancement of abilities by use of a much looser apprenticeship program.  They can also theoretically buy books on subjects they are interested in and try learning on their own.  I also believe that Eric mentioned that anyone can apply for testing to a guild, although I believe it was in reference to the Royal Conjuring Guild, I don't see why other guilds wouldn't allow people to apply for testing at some point in their life.

Along the military campaign coming up, what era of tactics does Dugerra use to wage war between the nations?  It sounded like you were planning on pre-WWI tactics, somewhere in between medieval and colonial.  At least that is the impression I came to from some of the forum posts, although I thought it was more colonial era where people line up nice and pretty and fire at each other from a fairly short distance.  If that's the case, I don't know why someone like David wouldn't push for a more modern form of combat closer to present day earth.  At least as far as is feasible.

Pegasus and Dragons for aerial combat...  although I imagine you've already planned on this and it really isn't a new idea since you've mentioned it already in the books.

Tanks and other armored vehicles...  take a glide-car or glide-bus and change the body so it is metal based and then add powerful offensive and defensive enchantments to the thing.  Make the inside magically larger for troop transports.

Hoverboards used by specially trained troops so they can act as high speed shock troopers or emergency reserve units.  Of course I'm assuming the hoverboards would probably be much faster then walking, running or maybe even riding a horse.  They also seem to be highly maneuverable so terrain might not be much of a factor, except for things like cliffs, of course.

Dragon armor backed with Kevlar and a trauma plate plus some defensive enchantments.

#619 2018-05-29 08:47:04

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

StoryJunkie: No, it does not need to be consecutive.  I've already made this clear from the fact that David's roommate, Nate, was going to Earth for a couple years to decide where he wanted to live, and then it was mentioned he could come back.

Barbarian: Obviously, the law would be flexible enough to handle outlying situations.  Keep in mind that, technically, demighosts no longer have an age, as they are not living.

As to apprenticing/guilds:  Yes, you can, and that will get you a career in those fields.  But they will not get you the specific licenses tested for at school.  Those tests are specific to certain activities, such as owning your own business or working in the government.  Without those tests, you cannot do those things at all.

As to the style of warfare... only a complete idiot would attempt "rank and file" warfare with accurately guided weaponry, such as an energy ball.  Accurately guided weaponry (ie, the rifle) is why this style of warfare went out of use.  It would never have been in use in Dugerra.  Having said that, modern Earth warfare wouldn't work, either.  You're not facing a guy with an automatic rifle, you're facing a guy with the equivalent of most weapons in the arsenal, all at once.  Wizards can conjure up "bullets" (energy balls), flamethrowers, grenades and mortars (exploding energy balls)... and shit that we don't even have the equivalent of, like lightning bolts and seismic waves.  They could conjure boulders above your troops and flatten the lot of you.  They could disrupt the ground beneath you and cause you to fall into a newly created hole.  There is no equivalent Earth combat style that even begins to comprehend the nature of magical warfare.

As to using vehicles on a magical battlefield... it sounds like a good way to lose a lot of soldiers.  Okay, you've made your vehicle impenetrable... so I just put a bubble AROUND your vehicle, and voila, your vehicle is immobile, and so is everyone inside it.  If I'm really good, I take my bubble, lift your vehicle up inside of it, and dump your vehicle in the nearest body of water, killing everyone inside of it without having to fire a shot.  Magic is an insane equalizer on the battlefield.  Things that sound like great ideas... aren't.  The best defense against magic is maneuverability, which means the best thing you can do is keep your damned feet on the ground.  You're a small target, a nimble target, and you'll be able to more easily see what's coming at you.  Anything you do that slows down your ability to maneuver clear is a really bad thing.

Wizard warfare will be a mix of fighting from cover, mixed with close-quarters melee-style fighting.  Because of some of the larger and nastier attacks possible, it is actually to a wizard's benefit to be as close to the enemy as reasonable, as it means that if they try anything truly nasty, they get caught in it, too.  Wizards attempt to keep the other guy's attacks to as small a group of people as possible.  This also limits their own attacks, but that is usually preferable to the alternative.  It also needs to be pointed out that wizards have a lot more "ammo" than your typical soldier, in that they don't run out until they have no more energy left to fight.  By the same token, that energy has to be split between offense and defense.  There is a reason wizards learn to use swords and staves and other hand-held weaponry.

Kevlar armor would be a waste of material, as it has no magical defense properties whatsoever, nor will it do much about stopping a sword or spear attack.  Likewise, the trauma plate wouldn't be of much use, and would just slow you down, as it is heavy.  You would do better to simply wear thicker dragonscale armor.  Even that, however, has limited usefulness.  It prevents impact damage, but has only a limited ability to block magical effects.  The wizard's own active shielding is what will save them from most attacks.

As to dragons as part of the "Callamandian Air Force", or whatever:  Dragons are not Callamandian citizens.  They are a nation unto themselves, though that nation is worldwide.  They have no dog in this fight, so why would they bother to take sides?  No, you're not going to see dragons regularly circling over the battlefield.

As for pegs, the Peg Riders of Callamandia would prohibit their use as machines of war outright, except in a case of dire emergency (ie, a last-ditch effort at survival).  To put the pegs at risk is simply not an acceptable practice.  Though they may be self-aware, it is unlikely they have the capacity to truly comprehend the consequences of a war.

SkyRiders for medevac would be the most feasible of your ideas, but truthfully, in the thick of battle, I doubt that medevac is going to be on too many people's minds.  What wounds the company/battalion healers can't manage on the spot are probably just going to be "let go", or given a sustaining potion to let the battle run its course.  In the middle of melee combat, trying to evacuate people is just likely to get other people killed.

As to using the SkyRiders for troop transport, or "shock troops"... if you can hit somebody while you're riding the thing, then someone can hit you just as easily.  It might add to your maneuverability somewhat, although I don't think I'd want to really attempt riding one of those things through a forest at high speed.  And riding them on clear ground just makes you a target.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#620 2018-05-29 11:51:06

Crusader
Wasted

StoryJunkie wrote:

Is it 8 consecutive years only? I kind of thought that if he had to stop in the coming year (year 8) he could finish his last year when he got back from the war....it may take 9 years (this is assuming that the war only lasts one year) but he was only there for 8 years. I mean after year 3 or 4 (I don't remember right off the top of my head what the exams were for these years) everything becomes directed study, couldn't someone theoretically take off a year or two and get a job somewhere, then decide to get some more education and go back to school?

Consecutive years:
Not sure if you have read the latest chapter, but i suggest rereading the paragraphs near the words "Notice of intent"
It has the answer.

#621 2018-05-29 12:10:57

Crusader
Wasted

Eric Storm wrote:

Why would the school do that, if it wasn't a governmental policy?

The purpose of the deadline is to keep the system moving.  Otherwise, a student could theoretically take up to nineteen years to complete college.  (No, it's not 24, like you might be thinking.  And it's not 22, like you might be thinking if you take into account you can't really "fail" your first year.  Remember that if a student does not pass their Citizenship Exam before turning 25, they are forced to go live in Earth.  This puts a limit to how many times you can fail your earlier exams before passing your CE.)

Now, okay, there aren't going to be many students going the full 19 years, but there would be a sufficient number to cause problems in the system.  Those "slow" students would be taking up resources that new students need.

Further, if you take the maximum time allowable to pass your CE, which is seven years, then you are probably not intelligent enough to perform the jobs that the other tests will certify you for.  Or you're not emotionally mature enough for them...

Eric Storm

I believe that there are examples of colleges that give students a limited amount of time here, but now that im looking for them i cant find them.

Im suprised that one wouldn't be able to just take the exams as often as they want. Once you are past the citizenship exam.

#622 2018-05-29 18:34:12

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Crusader wrote:

Im suprised that one wouldn't be able to just take the exams as often as they want. Once you are past the citizenship exam.

The answer to this is simple:  If it takes you even more than three tries to get it right, you aren't someone they want doing those jobs.  Either you are not conscientious enough to take things seriously, or you simply aren't intelligent enough for the position.  You're not going to get endless "do overs" once you've got the job; there is no reason to give them to you in order to get the job.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#623 2018-05-30 14:06:11

StoryJunkie
Wasted

Eric Storm wrote:

StoryJunkie: No, it does not need to be consecutive.  I've already made this clear from the fact that David's roommate, Nate, was going to Earth for a couple years to decide where he wanted to live, and then it was mentioned he could come back.

Eric Storm

Yes, I remember that, but I still wasn't real sure about it hence the question.....thanks for that.

and as for something Barbarian wrote, about the pegs and dragons.....it has been said that SOME dragons will help out humans if asked and have a reason for that help, so I could maybe see a dragon or two involved in parts of the war...just as a maybe though, and as to the Pegs, wouldn't the guild riders still be able to use them for transportation to an area of fighting? I don't mean have the peg drop the rider off at the battle, but be able to move the rider(s) to an area that the enemy is advancing toward to get to the area quickly and then let the pegs fly back to safety?

I'm seeing it as a sort of area of the story were several riders are conscripted (or volunteer) and can move ahead of the coming enemy for an ambush, as in arrive 2 or 3 days in advance to set things up and give the pegs time to get back to safety.

Of course this is all just conjecture and possibly wishful thinking as it is your story and it will play out as you write it...but hey, if we do give you an idea that you run with....well then....yeah, we helped in a small part lol

#624 2018-05-30 19:16:51

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

What you're talking about is the purpose of the Ark's* Supply Companies, which use standard peg-driven coaches to move supplies and men around, and have for centuries.  I didn't consider this as part of his comment, which seemed to be more about mounted cavalry than transport.  Yes, obviously the military uses what airlift capacity it has, but those pegs would be kept miles away from any fighting.

As to dragons... well, yes, there is always the possibility of individual involvement, though that would probably risk angering the draconic government by appearing to get them involved in the war in one way or another.

Eric Storm

*ARK: Army Resource Group, the largest operational unit of the Callamandian Army's structure.  (The G/K conversion happened due to language evolution and tonal pleasance, much like the fact that the commander of a carrier's air wing is still called "CAG", because calling him the "CAW" sounds awful.  They'd end up calling him "The Crow Chief" behind his back, and no one's gonna put up with that...  3dsmile )

----
Facebook page

#625 2018-05-31 11:36:52

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

But I can just see a whole lot of people groaning ARGggggg at the ARK personel.  3dwink

Board footer