The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#501 2018-04-08 02:02:39

bigfoot
Wasted

Re: Woodward Academy, Year 7, The

Eric - as always, you put up valid arguments but I have to say, and this is just a personal opinion, I think you are arguing too hard trying to convince us that Emile was in cahoots with Dailey (smile).

#502 2018-04-08 02:34:24

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

This all could get really nasty.

Now that Dailey is gone, those who worked for Dailey may be kind of up in the air? What should they do? David just killed their ATM. Should they continue helping David get stronger, which is what Dailey claimed he wanted? Or, now that Dailey is dead, will they do as they want?

- Maybe there's a reason a Demighost has never been admitted to Woodward before? What if the Dean secretly hates Demighosts, or the undead altogether? David has another year at Woodward, the Dean, if she was only putting up with David for Dailey, could now make that last year very difficult, if not, impossible.

- What if the only reason some of his professors put up with him was because of Dailey and now that the money has stopped, all of a sudden, one or more of the few professors that David still has a Student/Teacher relationship with suddenly turn on him? They don't even need to turn on him, just stop being especially supportive of David (as MOST of the professors at Woodward have been over the years.)

- The Dean, the Teachers, David's friends, none of them have any reason to come forward and admit that they were working for Dailey. There's no gain in it for them. If they have personal malice towards David, towards Demighost, or the undead, then they might get nasty otherwise... Why would they turn on David now? He's one of the most powerful wizards in Dugerra, and he has a lot of friends, including the king... Or does he? Why would anyone choose to make an enemy of David if they didn't have to? If there was nothing to gain from it?

- We've all spent so much time talking about the dean and the professors, what about David's other lives? What about his job with the Rimohrs? Was that only because of Dailey? Will David suddenly find himself out of a job? Hated by the very officers he's been working with? What about the king? Did he make David a Paladin, give him all that recognition, because of Dailey, or because David earned it?

- Then there are David's Friends. We know Lydia was working for Dailey, will other friends suddenly up and abandon David because they're no longer getting paid to be there?

- Now that Levi Dailey is dead, will his family or some member of his family, pick up where Levi left off? How much do they know of Levi's "Operation"? I'm not talking about his wife. What about his parents? His siblings? They're a lot more likely to continue this fight than his wife, who simply married into it.

While killing Levi Dailey seemed like it would make David's life, David's friends, safer, and it may, it may not make his life any calmer.

Last edited by Jefferson (2018-04-08 02:36:53)

#503 2018-04-08 02:40:22

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

bigfoot wrote:

Eric - as always, you put up valid arguments but I have to say, and this is just a personal opinion, I think you are arguing too hard trying to convince us that Emile was in cahoots with Dailey (smile).

Bigfoot, Eric isn't "arguing" with you all. He's PLAYING with you. 3dsmile You gotta remember, there's no FACTS here to argue about. It's all in Eric's imagination. He's playing with you. Making sure everyone stays interested - as if there's a real chance any of us will suddenly stop reading now -  keeping the conversation going.

And he is Dangerously good at it. 3dsmile

Last edited by Jefferson (2018-04-08 02:41:15)

#504 2018-04-08 05:36:16

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

bigfoot:

Jeff is partly right, in that I am having fun messing with the lot of you on this one.  But the reason I am so adamant about making the points on the "Dailey was telling the truth" side is because so many people are so adamant about making points on the "Dailey was spewing bullshit" side.  It hardly makes for an interesting discussion if I just say, "Yeah, I agree with you," now does it?

Look, I know what side this comes down on.  I've known for a long time how this was all going to play out.  Whether Dailey was lying or telling the truth... you're just going to have to wait and find out.  But don't expect me not to tease the fuck out of all of you when you insist that it has to be one way or the other.

3dsmile

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#505 2018-04-08 05:57:08

bigfoot
Wasted

Oscra Wilde wrote, “If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all." 

Eric, you've created a book worth reading over and over again. I thank you for your efforts.

Last edited by bigfoot (2018-04-08 05:57:47)

#506 2018-04-08 05:58:09

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

The story is all yours, of course.

However, I think there are facts not yet in evidence. 

Betrayal, in my opinion would require foreknowledge that David was going to be cursed and imprisoned in Haven for all eternity.  And at this time, we don't know if they had that knowledge.

For arguments sake, lets say someone learns about some teenager struck with tragedy and goes to some college saying "I'll give you an anonymous grant of several million dollars and pay the tuition of this kid, but you can't tell anyone why he is being invited into your school."  The kid goes through school and excels at it, even making it into a doctorate program.  Now, a year before finishing his doctorate, the guy that has been paying his way and got him into college decides to kill him.  If the school knew nothing of the planned murder of the kid, did they betray him?  All they knew was they are getting a boatload of money to educate the kid and maybe look after him.

Sorry, as one of my brothers likes to tell me, At times I like to be contrary.

Last edited by Barbarian3165 (2018-04-08 05:58:25)

#507 2018-04-08 06:52:37

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Barbarian, you are completely ignoring all of the OTHER things that Dean Lengel has done "in support of" David, like giving him positions of authority.  If she was acting on Dailey's behalf, she would HAVE TO KNOW what she was doing it for.  Dailey needed specific things done.  Unless he was going to dictate each and every one of those actions, he would have had to detail what his goal was.  And if he DID dictate each of those actions, then it's no longer as innocuous as Dailey just paying his way.  Now it becomes an ongoing conspiracy with Dailey and Lengel interacting regularly..  And let's not forget that David paid his own tuition.  If Dailey paid Dean Lengel, then that money went to HER, not to the school.  And why would he be paying professors, if his motive was innocuous?  I'm not asking you, as such, but this is a question that the dean would be asking.  Why is the Minister of Education involved?

No, if Dailey is speaking truth, there is far too much that has to go on for it to be something other than betrayal.  It's too involved to be innocuous.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#508 2018-04-08 09:51:44

bigfoot
Wasted

Eric Storm wrote:

Barbarian, you are completely ignoring all of the OTHER things that Dean Lengel has done "in support of" David, like giving him positions of authority.  If she was acting on Dailey's behalf, she would HAVE TO KNOW what she was doing it for...

Not true. Dailey could explain his actions to Emile in any number of ways. For example, he could say his family has dealt with angry demighosts in the past and by Dean Lengel helping to 'properly' educate David, he would better fit into society and NOT become a disruptive force. In fact, if she could find ways to take him under her wing, she could influence a good citizen, one who helps people. "Can you imagine, Madam Dean, an educated demighost who solves problems and helps people? With your help, young Mr. Stroud could be a shining example of what demighosts could be."

In that example, Emile believes she is simply fostering David's acceptance into Dugerran society and has no pre-knowledge of Dailey's plan to imprison him.

Thus, NO BETRAYAL.

#509 2018-04-08 19:30:25

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

With the exception of this one little problem:  Dean Lengel would investigate this claim, if she is who she has appeared to be over the last seven books.  There is no way she would accept this story without looking into it.  As soon as anyone started to dig into the Dailey family history, they would almost certainly discover the truth... or at the very least, discover enough to believe they were being lied to.

You're assuming that Dean Lengel would blithely accept any story she's given about why she should help David.  That is not in the character of the person we believe we know as Dean Lengel.  She doesn't trust people, remember?  Especially not men.  She would find out what Dailey's game is.  "David, the day I don't know what's going on around here, worry."  That's a direct quote from Dean Lengel, book 3, chapter 2.  This is her philosophy where the school is concerned.  She's not going to accept any bullshit story Dailey gives her without checking it out six ways to Sunday.  This might even include a call to the Rimohrs to do a background check on Dailey.  Given how little THAT would turn up would only raise her suspicions further.

Now, I know what your next objection will be, that all Dailey has to do is come up with a story she can't see through.  Did Levi Dailey actually seem that bright to you?  Had he succeeded, he would have been guilty of felony assault on a Rimohr officer, false imprisonment, kidnapping, illegal transport of technos into Dugerra (there's a procedure for that sort of thing), conspiracy to commit murder (four counts), and probably a host of other issues.

ALL of which he would have been convicted of.  The man would have been arrested, tried, convicted, and sentenced in a blink.  These are not the actions of someone clever enough to fool Dean Lengel.

No, if Dean Lengel was working with Dailey, she was doing so in full knowledge of what he was doing, because there is simply no way he was smart enough to hide the truth from her.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#510 2018-04-08 19:36:10

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I'd also like to point out, as it is being overlooked, that Dean Lengel is obviously a skilled diviner - keep in mind her talks about it with David back in book 1.  She would likely have been able to tell if Dailey was lying to her... or if he was preventing her from divining the truth.  That, alone, would make any attempt by Dailey to fool her almost impossible.

Eric Storm

PS:  No, this is not something I'm making up "on the spot" here.  Dean Lengel described to David, in detail, what happens to diviners as they progress through their skills.  The only way she'd have known that so intimately is first-hand experience.

----
Facebook page

#511 2018-04-08 20:21:59

neolyn
Wasted

I don't think it was ever said but, did Emile had children with at least one of her four husband ?

Because with all what's written here about her, I want to add my BS theory :

Emile is Levi Dailey's mother . That's why she's helping him.

#512 2018-04-08 20:25:53

bigfoot
Wasted

Eric - I keep coming back to Hamlet when his mother says, "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

#513 2018-04-08 22:59:10

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Bigfoot:

I already told you my motivation for my comments.  If everyone was saying, "Yeah, that bitch betrayed him!" I'd be doing the same thing on the other side.  They're not trying to make the strong case for Dean Lengel's guilt (probably because I'm doing such a good job of it that they don't have to), so I'm not arguing the other side, since I don't need to.  But I'm not going to let unsound reasoning on either side go by without comment.  If you choose not to believe me, that's your problem.

neolyn:

This concept is ruled out immediately.  David said the following in the last chapter:  "I have already visited all of your other relatives, to make sure that no other Dailey male can carry on the line."  In order to do that, he would have had to dig deep into Dailey's family tree.  He would sure as hell know who Dailey's mother is.  Dean Lengel would not be able to be related to him in any close... or even moderately distant... way.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#514 2018-04-09 03:34:48

ChiefRock
Wasted

Eric I think most of us have the same problem. We do not want Dean Emile to have been guilty of such a crime for 7+ years with no notice. So we all keep trying to come up with alternate scenarios that obviously will not work. So we are left with two possibilities, Dailey lied or you will have to explain and we will have to wait.  UGH!!!  Well you are the maestro

My worst day at sea is better than my best day ashore
I found a home in the navy-but they land airplanes on my roof

#515 2018-04-09 03:52:30

thehilz
Completely Blotto

One thought I have that is making lean towards Dailey being full of shit is the fact he wasn’t aware of David’s feeling towards his parents. One would think that if he did have any of the professors that had gotten close to David as well as the dean on his payroll that he would have chosen better hostages.

#516 2018-04-09 05:51:00

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

Excellent point, thehilz.

It is possible that Dailey was the kind of @$$hole that only allowed information to flow one way, from him to those who worked for him. Saw himself as above the others and simply didn't deem their information, or opinions, worthwhile. But to do this for seven years would take a world-class egomaniac and I don't see that.

Excellent point. Excellent.

#517 2018-04-09 06:50:09

StoryJunkie
Wasted

I look at it all this way...I don't give a shit if was lying to David or telling the truth.....for now, I say this because we will all find out as the story continues, of course if this is NOT resolved by the end of book 8 I can just imagine a caravan of people heading out to find Eric and give him a swift kick in the ass for leaving us hanging lol

I think I will just sit back (while re-reading the whole damn series several times....again) and wait for each new chapter to come out and find out what happens in the story.

Last edited by StoryJunkie (2018-04-09 06:52:48)

#518 2018-04-09 08:01:30

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Hmm, leave the question unanswered at the end of book 8.... now I hadn't considered THAT option.... Thanks, StoryJunkie!!! misch_smiley

Jeff: he doesn't need to be an egomaniac, just not smart enough to know what he needs.  We already know that two of the people who worked for him could not contact him, only he could contact them.  So it is completely conceivable that he simply didn't value their insights.

Further, it is also possible that he chose David's parents believing, no matter what David had said to the contrary, that he would still go all out to save them. 

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#519 2018-04-09 12:42:39

bigfoot
Wasted

Like an obsessed fanboy, I am re-reading WAY from Book 1 whilst I wait for May 1 (hopefully). The question I now have is if Jacob Pendergrast knew that David would eventually face off against a male Dailey at some point and face the very real possibility of spending an eternity in his own prison... I don't believe Jacob intentionally withheld crucial information from David or was working against him. If anything, he's always seemed a bit forgetful to what's truly important for those living in the real world. It just seems David would be interested in knowing a crucial showdown would eventually occur (think young Mr. Potter knowing he'd have to battle Lord Voldemort).

#520 2018-04-09 19:30:11

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

It is possible that Jacob was never given this information.  All of Dailey's rambling wasn't part of the rite of passage, so it is conceivable that the person who imprisoned Jacob was less chatty, and Jacob may not have any clue why he was imprisoned.  As such, he would have no reason to warn David.

Also, something occurred to me in regards to your "Methinks he doth protest too much" remark.  I have not been arguing whether or not Dailey was telling the truth.  You will find that out in due course.  I have been arguing the SIGNIFICANCE of what it means if Dailey was telling the truth.  That sort of argument takes as one of its given conditions that Dailey was being honest.   If Dailey was lying, then the entire argument becomes moot.

And now, just to screw with EVERYONE'S head, I will say this:  Dean Lengel is guilty of something related to David.  What that something is, I'm not going to say... for now...  Is it colluding with Dailey?  It might be... then again, it might be something else entirely.  I will say it is something David will not be all that happy about, when he finds out.  (So, no, it's not something like, "She's guilty of having a crush on him.")

I'm so evil...  3dbig_smile

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#521 2018-04-09 20:00:25

bigfoot
Wasted

Eric Storm wrote:

And now, just to screw with EVERYONE'S head, I will say this:  Dean Lengel is guilty of something related to David.

Bastard! I think the reason so many of us have an issue with believing Dean Lengel is guilty of something is because of the believable way you wrote her and her relationship with David. I was content knowing you were stirring the pot here while I patiently waited for the next chapter. AND NOW YOU HAVE RUINED THAT!!

#522 2018-04-10 00:20:53

ChiefRock
Wasted

Eric Storm wrote:

And now, just to screw with EVERYONE'S head, I will say this:  Dean Lengel is guilty of something related to David.  What that something is, I'm not going to say... for now...  Is it colluding with Dailey?  It might be... then again, it might be something else entirely.  I will say it is something David will not be all that happy about, when he finds out.  (So, no, it's not something like, "She's guilty of having a crush on him.")

I'm so evil...  3dbig_smile

Eric Storm

Eric it is nothing more than what we have learned to expect from you. LOL I am through guessing

My worst day at sea is better than my best day ashore
I found a home in the navy-but they land airplanes on my roof

#523 2018-04-10 00:35:25

Centaur
Inebriated

I'm going to throw my 2cents in here. I've not read to where you all are. however I can make estimated half-assed guess's. Eric remided us that the dean is a diviner in her own right a few posts ago. there isn't anything at the school she doesn't know about. whats the possibility of her being guilty of manipulating David here and there?

#524 2018-04-10 08:18:11

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Um...

uh...

er...

What does one thing have to do with the other, Centaur?

:color me confused:

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#525 2018-04-11 05:48:53

StoryJunkie
Wasted

Eric Storm wrote:

Hmm, leave the question unanswered at the end of book 8.... now I hadn't considered THAT option.... Thanks, StoryJunkie!!! misch_smiley

Eric Storm

As I said in that post also Eric....if that happens I see a caravan of people coming to Florida to find your ass and kicking it 3dmad lol

Board footer