The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#351 2017-09-03 13:13:45

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

Re: Woodward Academy, Year 7, The

Just never saw anyone put it together or at least bring it up, although I guess the reference could of been lost in one of the forum wipe outs.  While rereading year 1, it struck me that it was Edgar Allen Poe when he refused to give his middle name to Marcus Savolar.

#352 2017-09-06 21:50:28

Pudding5
Inebriated

I always liked Cat's Name, then finding out her maiden name was Mandu. Sad that now she has the rather ordinary name  Cat Phillips. Unless she didn't take his last name for some reason?

#353 2017-09-07 05:34:57

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Hey, what do you know?  There actually is a Cat Phillips!:

Cat Phillips (Wikipedia)

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#354 2017-10-01 20:41:41

Doc Spratley
Inebriated

I should not read the posts before reading the current Chapter....My Bad!!!!

(posted from the Item Information Page)

#355 2017-10-03 04:03:16

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

Pudding5 wrote:

I always liked Cat's Name, then finding out her maiden name was Mandu. Sad that now she has the rather ordinary name  Cat Phillips. Unless she didn't take his last name for some reason?

D'oh

#356 2017-10-03 15:30:40

runkmaster24
Inebriated

Fantastic as usual thanks for writeing sucja fantastic novel just wish i could get it in book but this is just fine

#357 2017-10-14 08:57:06

firewing628
Tipsy

So is there are regular schedule for chapter releases? I've noticed a lot of them being released on the 1st or 2nd of the month. Also what is the PRM stuff like? Is it like a completed but unedited chapter, or simply a bunch of notes? Just curious. I have been following this story for over a year now and I love it, so keep up the good work! I would also like to know if David's story will be continued in some fashion after year 8 is completed.

#358 2017-10-14 17:34:46

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

Firewing, usually Eric releases chapters of Woodward at the beginning of each month. Unfortunately, Eric is located in Florida. In case you live under a rock, Eric was recently forced to leave his home to get away from a tiny little storm they called a hurricane. This, plus medical problems plus family issues, has slowed down, sometimes even stopped, his progress on the story. So while he does normally post at the beginning of each month, it didn't happen this month, and if things continue the way they have been, nothing may get posted next month. There is another Board here:

http://www.wolfpub.org/forum/viewtopic. … 3&p=28

where Eric regularly updates his readers on his writing status. Check in there regularly and you should know, exactly, when the next chapter will be put up.

Welcome to the Pub. 3dsmile

Last edited by Jefferson (2017-10-14 17:35:47)

#359 2017-10-14 20:08:14

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Jeff covered the release schedule, but not the other items.  (He's getting old and senile, so he forgets.  misch_smiley )

Pre-Release Material is a completed chapter, but there is no guarantee that it will not change before going public. (Though this has not happened with my work, to the best of my recollection).  Essentially, you could think of it as a "beta" version of the story: complete, but possibly buggy.  The author may choose to fix those bugs before taking the chapter out of PRM and making it public.

I can't speak for other authors regarding edited vs. unedited, but the only people I subject to unedited versions of my work are my reviewers.  PRM, for me, is ready for publication.  In most cases I make no changes at all before switching a chapter from PRM to public.  That doesn't mean I never will, just that I usually don't.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#360 2017-10-17 21:58:56

Sdragon
Inebriated
Website

Jefferson: I myself live in central Florida, in fact the eye of Erma passed right over my county and i tried so hard to stay awake and experience my first ever hurricane. i wanted to listened to the pounding of the rain and the howling of the wind, instead it put my ass to sleep like a summer rain on a tin roof that i grew up listening to (originally from Tennessee).

Eric: You know that I love your work, seeing as I have been following you since you started CAMP: Ron's Journey. I understand that things tend to get in the way, my job has held up my progress with David's Key and I am still messing around with another story that has been floating around in my head. Having to work 10 to 16 hours a day tends to keep you from making progress though, so I will try and be patient.

#361 2017-10-18 17:58:43

firewing628
Tipsy

Im sorry to hear you're having a rough time of things, I know a lot of people in similar situations. Hope it gets resolved soon. This year has been a nasty one as disasters go. Thanks for clarifying everything for me though!

#362 2017-11-03 03:26:30

runkmaster24
Inebriated

Hope things start turning around for u we can wait those that cant well they can suck it up and drive on take ur time a fix it all properly

#363 2017-11-06 19:40:27

horp the reckless
Tipsy

Trying to find out if i missed something or if my pub isn't showing updates properly for Eric.

The last WA Year 7 chapter I have as being able to be read (not in a PRM status) is June.

Have any of the other chapters {July, August, etc.} been released from PRM?

#364 2017-11-06 20:07:38

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

I don't think so, Chapter 1 of Way 7 should be the only chapter available to non-PRM members.  I believe Eric keeps 6 months of his latest story available to PRM members only.  And he only releases a chapter from PRM status when he's released a new chapter to the PRM crowd.  Since he's had some problems with hurricanes, health and other issues it may be a little while before he's finished with the next chapter.  Anyway, we all hope Eric can get back in the groove and start giving us our monthly fix.  But I think it is understandable, given his situation, that he's a little late.  Hopefully we will all see something on the First of December as our Christmas (or whichever holiday you celebrate that time of year) present.

Of course, once he is completely done with a story, I'm sure the release from PRM rules change.

#365 2018-01-03 20:48:27

islandman79#
Inebriated

Hi Eric Storm,
“Times of late are a changingâ€
Catchy song.? I’ve read the comments and sympathize with both yourself and the readers/viewers of your “art†, (cause I honestly think a writers is an artist / take a blank canvas and embue it with the vision the writers have crafted within) eh something like that.
I understand you have a cliche that trble shoot your written stories? You mentioned in a previous note that you have great ideas? But thought t stops there, no details follow?
Would you be open to fan support† like what happens on utube? Where fans make video of what they foresee as a next chapter in a movie or tv show?
Ie Thor ragnoroke fan createdâ€
You look over the work they flesh out based on story details and you ideas.
It would be so cool 😎
And would maybe give you a good read.
Maybe fan your creative flames eh?

Ps
Story suggestion for you to peek at
“ gamer for life
Book 1 alpha world
By Daniel Schinhofen

#366 2018-01-03 21:35:53

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I assumed that people were already doing that here.  Readers regularly post what they think is going to happen next.  And they should certainly feel free to do so, though I do have a tendency to point out when what they've suggested has already been ruled out by previous events, universe laws, or logic...  Now, if you're talking about people actually writing out entire chapters of what would come next... I probably wouldn't read them.  It would be too hard for me to not tear into people for doing what I perceive as "dumb things" with my characters.

As to fanning the creative flames, as I said, it's not the creative part that has the problem.  If I wasn't feeling creative, I wouldn't even be able to manage story ideas.  It's the...  "work" part, where you have to take the creativity and put it down so that others can see it, where the trouble comes.  That part is still creative, yes, because you have to choose words and get the ideas just right... but my problem with the writing isn't not knowing what I want to write: it's actually sitting down and writing it.

Thanks, anyway,
Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#367 2018-01-04 05:20:55

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

Well, here is hoping for a new chapter as soon as possible... and may your work ethic return to full force. 3dwink

#368 2018-01-13 07:24:51

Maverick7508
Inebriated

The other authors, like blackie and bistander, certainly write good material. However, my favorite story on the pub has and will probably always be The Woodward Academy. May life make things easier on you Eric, as your writing brings joy to so many.

#369 2018-01-16 23:19:19

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Author's Note:

In the last few chapters of WAY7, and in all of WAY8, military personnel will become far more prevalent in the storyline.  As such, I felt that now would be a good time to discuss rank structure.

Callamandian military ranks are not named the same as American ones, nor do they directly convert (given the vast difference in sizes of military units involved, not to mention the actual manner of fighting).  However, in a rough comparison, here is how they relate:

U.S. Rank = KC Rank (KC  Abbrev.)
General = Arkigo (AKG)
Colonel = Commandant (CDT)
Lt. Colonel = Batalo (BTL)
Major = Batalisto (BTLT)
Captain = Vocator (VCT)
1st Lt. = Vigax (VG)
2nd Lt. = Bandador (BDD)

Sergeant = Liderra (LDR)
Corporal = Capadra (CPD)
Private = Soldier (SD)

(KC = Kingdom of Callamandia)

I will include a note concerning this within books 7 & 8.  I know this may be a bit confusing until you get used to it, but it simply seems highly unlikely that a country as old as Callamandia would use the same rank names as the US does.  Hell, OUR rank structure hasn't looked this way for all that long.  (And yes, I'm aware that several US ranks are missing.  They don't have Callamandian counterparts.)

Anyway, this is just an informational blurb.  Take it or leave it.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#370 2018-01-16 23:47:05

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Oh, I should point out that there ARE errors in previous books, referring to colonels and/or generals.  These will eventually be corrected.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#371 2018-01-17 10:21:26

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

Some interesting Google translations turn up for those that actually translate.  Should they all translate from a non-English language into English?  Just curious where you got your inspiration for those titles?

#372 2018-01-17 21:47:51

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Like all the spells and such, these were run through Google translate, but often modified for better sounding words. They are not consistently from a single language, either.

Vocator, however, is a Babylon 5 reference to the Centauri Republic.

"Soldier" of course, translates into English very poorly.  3dtongue

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#373 2018-01-20 06:53:38

Maverick7508
Inebriated

Next thing we know we'll be seeing the cora predo. Lol.

#374 2018-01-26 07:21:57

ChiefRock
Wasted

Ohh Eric you really really like cliff hangers do you not? One of your better chapters and well worth waiting for. Constructively you pay attention to flow extremely well. Also your attention to detail is a true work of art. I realise how much work that takes but there is almost literaly no inconsistencies in your story

My worst day at sea is better than my best day ashore
I found a home in the navy-but they land airplanes on my roof

#375 2018-01-26 09:31:49

SkiesEnd
Inebriated

Thanks for the chapter!~
Hope all is going well for you and yours.

You must post faster or I should read slower lol.

Board footer