The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-08 02:33:17

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

What the Fuck Was That?

Okay, so some of you might have noticed that the site was down today for a while.  (Like all goddamned day...)

Here's what happened:

In trying to find out why the site has been so slow lately, I realized that I suddenly didn't have the ability to FTP into the server anymore.  (For those of you unfamiliar, FTP stands for "File Transfer Protocol", and it's a way to move a lot of files across the net with ease.  This is how I normally move things onto the website's server.)  Well, after going 'round with both GoDaddy and Frontier (my ISP - they suck), I read on a forum that Verizon (my former ISP - they sucked, too, and then sold all of their Florida FiOS customers to Frontier) had this problem in places, and ultimately they decided "we're just not supporting FTP anymore."  Now, mind you, FTP's been around since before the World Wide Web.  It's how I started out looking for things on the Internet, so it's not like this is a surprising new technology that's hard to understand.

In any case, seeing that FTP wasn't going to work, I looked into alternatives.  One of those is sFTP, which is a more secure version of FTP, but requires you to have SSH access to your account.  (For those who care, SSH is short for "Secure Shell", and is a way to actually use a command-line account on the server.)  Now, upgrading to SSH was free with GoDaddy, but they had to migrate my account to a new server.  There would be some server name changes in the code.  No big deal, right?

WRONG.

Somehow, in their wondrous brilliance, in the process of moving things from one server to another, GoDaddy managed to DELETE HALF THE DATABASE TABLES.  Including the one that holds all the user information!  (Hence the "can't find user information" message you were getting.  The site couldn't find it because the table containing it had gone bye-bye!)

Well, okay, not to panic.  I have backups of the database.  Since last year's hacking attempt, I back the site up daily, so I had a backup from last night.

Problem:  It would not import into their database.  The information was in too large of pieces to be read by their database server.  Oy vey!

Okay, so, not that big a deal, right?  I can use that SSH thing, and log into the database server directly and load the information that way, right?

Right???

Wrong.

I was never able to make that work.  I still don't know if it's even possible.

So, what did I have to do?

I have a database server running on my own system, for development purposes.  I imported the data into that.  (This was still a nightmare.  I had to change several settings to get such a large file to import properly.)  Once I got THAT done, I was able to export the database in smaller pieces, so that the GoDaddy server wouldn't choke on it.  So, like eight or nine hours later, here we are.

(To be fair, we had to go to a dr's appt. this afternoon, which ate up like 3 of those hours, but still!)

We lost two forum messages that I was able to read before they disappeared.  Sorry to the person who posted them, that loss was unavoidable.

Why must everything be a battle?  Why can't problems have simple solutions?  Even when you prepare for trouble, it seems like you're still digging yourself out of six feet of shit using a teaspoon.

Growl.

Eric Storm

PS:  If you notice any corruption, or missing stories or whatnot, let me know.  I probably will not be able to fix whatever it is, but I'll try.

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#2 2016-07-08 07:16:20

Augur
Wasted

Re: What the Fuck Was That?

I don't know if it's intentional, Eric, but your intro page shows the following message:
Script took 0.14210605621338 seconds to run.
Interval 1: 3.0994415283203E-5 seconds
Interval 2: 0.016625165939331 seconds
Interval 3: 0.0075299739837646 seconds
Interval 4: 5.9604644775391E-6 seconds
Interval 5: 6.9141387939453E-6 seconds
Interval 6: 0.00086307525634766 seconds
Interval 7: 0.0018119812011719 seconds
Interval 8: 0.0050389766693115 seconds
Interval 9: 0.00034189224243164 seconds
Interval 10: 0.0015370845794678 seconds
Interval 11: 0.001716136932373 seconds
Interval 12: 2.8610229492188E-6 seconds
Interval 13: 0.00039196014404297 seconds
Interval 14: 2.7179718017578E-5 seconds
Interval 15: 0.04211688041687 seconds
Interval 16: 1.5974044799805E-5 seconds
Interval 17: 0.063050031661987 seconds
Interval 18: 0.00041103363037109 seconds
Interval 19: 2.8610229492188E-6 seconds
Interval 20: 0.0005791187286377 seconds.

Obviously it's some page diagnostics log and probably shouldn't be on the main page.

#3 2016-07-08 07:53:31

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Actually, it IS supposed to be on the front page.

http://www.wolfpub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1795

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#4 2016-07-08 12:29:31

Augur
Wasted

I see. Didn't see your previous post about it. Ok, if I have any problems with the page, I'll send you the aforementioned data. I simply thought it was some log data you put in while recovering the page and forgot to take out. No big deal. 3dsmile

#5 2016-07-08 14:25:55

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

So, Frontier is actively blocking open FTP?  If you have an FTP client on your computer and GoDaddy allows FTP access then Frontier shouldn't have anything to do with it except for data transport.  Also, if I understand the latest rulings by the FCC on net neutrality, then the ISP can't block it except if its being used for illegal activity.  And I think that blocking has to be on a case by case basis.

Now, I can possibly understand GoDaddy requiring sFTP in order to minimize hacking attempts.  I can also see both GoDaddy and your ISP pointing the finger at each other because neither wants to admit to being at fault.

If you were using a web based FTP program hosted by Frontier and they dropped that web based service, then that is a different story.  Just search for a good free or shareware ftp program you can download and run on your computer.

In the past I've used filezilla and bullfrog FTP or maybe it was bulletproof FTP, been a while since I've used FTP.

Last edited by Barbarian3165 (2016-07-08 14:29:17)

#6 2016-07-08 15:44:31

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Augur:

Before publicly calling out a new piece of information on the site that you see as a flaw, it would behoove you to do at least the minimal research to find out if it's supposed to be there.  In this case (and in most cases), all you'd have had to do was read through the last couple site announcements.

Barbarian:

Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.

I don't believe that Verizon or Frontier were actively blocking FTP.  It isn't a widely enough used medium to bother.  Nor does it make sense that GoDaddy would switch over to requiring sFTP without posting a notice on their site... or at least knowing about it when I contacted customer service.  As I mentioned, I have been using FTP to upload to the server for nearly ten years now.  This appears to be more of a case where Frontier inherited a problem that Verizon could never figure out how to fix, and with the even-worse technical expertise of Frontier, is perhaps getting worse.  I should point out that it isn't ALL FTP that's failing: I can access anonymous sites.  It's only when I need to log into a site that the problem occurs.

As to "web-based program" for... ANYTHING:  I don't even use web-based email.  Even my Gmail account is collected by purpose-built software (in this case, Thunderbird).  The browser really is not the tool for most jobs.  I normally used my file manager program (Total Commander) for FTP, as it has an FTP client built-in... but Total Commander doesn't do sFTP, so I've had to switch over to FileZilla.  Not that I mind:  I have a very Unix-y mindset:  Write a small program that does one thing perfectly, not an enormous program that does a hundred things half-assed.  FTP programs are special-built to handle FTP tasks, which generally makes them good at it.  Total Commander was good enough at it that I didn't bother finding a replacement until I needed one, but it was never perfect.

In any case, the issues are resolved for the time being.

Until next time...  <ominous music plays here>

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#7 2016-07-08 16:02:46

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

And now for the TRULY irritating part.

I went back to Total Commander, to look through to see if there was a particular setting I could try adjusting (to turn off TLS, to see if that was the issue.)

That option wasn't available, but I hit "Connect" anyway.

Lo and behold, the goddamned thing connected right away.

Motherfucker.

So all the shit I went through yesterday was over a transient issue.

GROWL.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#8 2016-07-09 02:11:16

Augur
Wasted

Sorry Eric. Didn't expect you to take offense at my question. Seriously, I didn't express it as a critique for you. Actually I do respect you very much.  Simply being as this was a new phenomenon that I encountered for the first time after yesterdays' page downtime, I simply assumed those two events could be related and didn't start an exhaustive research on the subject.    I'll know better next time. 3dsmile

#9 2016-07-09 02:15:27

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Exhaustive research isn't necessary, but I don't write up website announcements because I like to see myself talk...

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#10 2016-07-09 04:08:12

Augur
Wasted

Understood, but I also don't visit everyday. Sometimes weeks may pass between visits. Sometimes I'll check your page a few times a day (specially around the last day of the month 3dsmile ). So in the time between visits several announcements may have been made (so I don't get to see them at the home page) and I don't make a habit of scouring the forums to read all previous announcements. Anyway, it's ok. I understood, next time I have something to ask of comment about I'll try as you say either research the subject before posting, or avoid making the post if I can't.  It's really not a big deal. As you see I'm really not a frequent poster, so it's not like I'll have to fight any "posting urges", so to speak. 3dsmile 

Again, I do feel a great respect for you, so please excuse me for any offense I may have made. I would argue that they would have been unintentional. On the one side you can never "divine" the tone of voice used to express a message on an internet forum, so misinterpretation is common. On the other side, although I consider my english to be pretty good, it's still not my native language, so it may happen that in specific cases I may not express myself in a clear way and open the possibility of misinterpretation of the intention and sentiment of my posts.

Last edited by Augur (2016-07-09 04:13:52)

#11 2016-07-09 05:21:20

Black Rose
Evil Bar Wench

I hate Frontier.  They took over Verizon's stuff for me in...April?  I think it was, and ever since then my internet will randomly decide it needs to take a break for a few minutes.  Several times a day, sometimes.  I have Had Enough and I am switching to a small local broadband company next week that will give me triple the speed for just a couple dollars more.  Frontier's annoyed me to the point where I almost feel like I should revisit Addict and that's saying something.

Black Rose

"Being a writer is a very peculiar sort of a job: it's always you versus a blank sheet of paper (or a blank screen) and quite often the blank piece of paper wins." – Neil Gaiman

#12 2016-07-09 16:12:54

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Yay, Frontier!  3dsmile

Anything that makes you want to write is okay, in my book...

And yes, it was in April that Frontier took over Florida, Texas and California from Verizon.  I wish I had the option to switch to someone else, but as far as I know, there are no local broadband providers around here, and besides, I have a contract for like another year. 

3dsad

Augur:  It's not a matter of being offended by you.  It's a matter of seeing that the visitors aren't paying attention.  It makes me feel like the work I'm doing is wasted.  Especially if you don't visit frequently, a trip through the site announcements is a good and easy way to keep up with what's going on here.  They're not hard to find: just go to the forum and look under "Pub Announcements".

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

Board footer