The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-28 15:24:35

Lacy69
Inebriated

main story search and basic search

I have access to brows the different authors and see their written works and can access them but Magusfang is not responding and the regular story page is not coming up (times out, blank page after loading).  Also the search site basic search does the same thing when you choose what you want does not come up (blank page, times out)
i have read through all the posts in relation to this toppic and could not see any,  but could be a server problem not sure i am useing chrome
Thank you

#2 2016-06-28 17:31:40

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: main story search and basic search

This is a typical transient problem.  The code on those pages hasn't changed in years, and has been working fine.  GoDaddy's servers, however, have become slower and slower as time has gone on.

Trust me, if I had a better option for hosting, I'd use it.  I don't, because I can't afford anything better.

All we can do is wait for GoDaddy to get things sorted out.

Regards,
Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#3 2016-11-14 08:33:05

Zombie Wolf
Tipsy

when I first found this site I was only able to get the browse stories page to not load anything but today I have gotten 4 different messages that seem to be from the site more then the server but I could be wrong about that could someone tell me if this is just the server being shit?

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 2621440) (tried to allocate 40 bytes) in /home/content/n/e/t/netwolfmwd/html/wolfpub/utils/items.inc on line 295

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 2621440) (tried to allocate 35 bytes) in /home/content/n/e/t/netwolfmwd/html/wolfpub/utils/items.inc on line 354

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 2621440) (tried to allocate 35 bytes) in /home/content/n/e/t/netwolfmwd/html/wolfpub/utils/items.inc on line 385

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 2621440) (tried to allocate 44 bytes) in /home/content/n/e/t/netwolfmwd/html/wolfpub/utils/items.inc on line 1023

thx

#4 2016-11-14 19:48:21

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I'll wager that the "search" you've been trying to run is nothing but a list of all stories on the site?

An "out of memory" error is a "cooperative" error between software and hardware.  If there was an unlimited amount of memory, then the software would never run out of memory.  If the software didn't ask for any memory, then the hardware would never run out of it, either.

Basically, what's happening is that the search script is asking for too much information from the server, and the server is choking on it.  (The search script wasn't really written to return huge numbers of results.  That was a function added later at user request.)

Until I can get the search routine rewritten, I'm afraid that you're simply not going to be able to look at a list of every story.  I'd recommend using the search engine to look for a slightly narrower group of stories.  It may take me some time to rewrite the search engine, as it's not exactly the simplest piece of code on the site...

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#5 2016-11-15 01:04:29

Zombie Wolf
Tipsy

Im not using the search engine tho. from the main page I am just clicking on the the stories drop down then browse stories. but if the issue is as you describe and it is trying to load all of the stories on the site, cant that be solved just by making the results page only load like 15 to 20 of the results at a time then have multiple pages for the rest?

#6 2016-11-15 04:36:23

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

The "browse" page is nothing more than a specialized search page.

And, while the PAGE loads only 25 results, because of various technical details, when the script was written, it was designed to load ALL results internally before sorting and sending them to the page.  (The results are then temporarily stored so that the information doesn't have to be compiled again for the second and subsequent pages)

This model works well, for smaller numbers of stories.  It was never really intended to work with a hundreds of stories.  What will have to be done is to have it sort BEFORE collecting story data.  That's a complete reworking of the process, and so it will take a while for me to work out.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#7 2016-11-15 06:13:54

Zombie Wolf
Tipsy

thanks for the info. Ill stick with detailed searches instead of general ones until that if fixed.

#8 2016-12-05 22:46:25

bobbytables666
Tipsy

What will have to be done is to have it sort BEFORE collecting story data.

What database are you using? I would assume that you could use the ORDER BY keyword to have the data arrive sorted and delete the part of the script that does the sorting. Then you should just be able to iterate through the result set to generate the pages.

#9 2016-12-06 00:48:37

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

No, I cannot, because the information comes through multiple database calls due to the complex nature of the amount of information being collected.

In the new version of the site, I am working as hard as I can to simplify this process, so that any retrieval of information never requires more than one query to the database.  (Keep in mind that The Pub is pretty much the ONLY site I've ever built with a database, so it was my trial-by-fire.  It was not done the most efficient or best way, by any stretch.  Also keep in mind that it was built ten years ago, and the database engines weren't as powerful then, either.)

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

Board footer