The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-13 15:57:27

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Hack Attack, but We're Back...

For those of you who didn't happen to see the messages over the weekend, sometime in the dark hours of Oct. 10-11, some scumbag or scumbags unknown managed to hack into an administrator account here at The Pub.  What they thought they might actually get out of that, I don't know.  I guess some people just aren't happy unless they're causing harm to someone else.

What they did was to attempt to delete all the stories and all the forum posts from the site.  Access logs show they tried to get to the database directly, but weren't able to, so they used the administrator scripts on the site to accomplish these actions.

Please note:  User passwords are stored encrypted in the database.  Even if they had managed to get there, they would have had to do quite a bit of work to figure out what your password was.  And, of course, we keep no truly sensitive data here, so your privacy is as secure as it was before.

Now, you'll note I said they attempted to delete all the stories and forum posts.  They weren't quite successful, due to the way my scripts work.  I was able to recover all of the stories, and they have been put back in place.  If you find anything out of order in the stories, let me know, so I can fix it as quickly as possible.

I was not able to restore all the forum posts.  The forum is not my code, and so the scripts weren't as "sneaky" as my story scripts.  What I was able to do was to restore posts up to early 2013, from an old backup copy I had on my hard drive.  (Yes, here's my mea culpa:  I had not been making regular backups.  I had believed that GoDaddy was doing this in case of emergency, but they are not.  This is an issue that I have already corrected.)

The forum is not entirely fixed.  There will be stories whose forum topics are missing or in the wrong place.  If you happen to find one of these, please tell me, and I'll get it fixed when I have a chance.  (Forum posts are just not as important to me as stories are.)

While I really can't fathom what joy these bastards got out of hurting others, we have luckily only suffered a major wound, instead of a mortal blow.

Regards,
Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#2 2015-10-13 19:26:45

kylekurk
Tipsy

Re: Hack Attack, but We're Back...

is there a way to track these bastards down

#3 2015-10-13 21:42:37

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

You know how that goes.  I have IP addresses in the access logs, which I will be banning permanently, but in truth, those IP addresses probably belong to a big ISP with thousands of customers.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#4 2015-10-14 03:08:36

Ecarus
Inebriated

Good job on getting it back up so quickly. Glad the most important parts were recoverable.

#5 2015-10-14 03:21:02

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I won't lie:  I got lucky.  But I have now begun automatic backups, so I don't have to try to remember to do it, but it's still getting done.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#6 2015-10-14 07:07:35

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

I would like to offer my congratulations on recovering as much as you did, as quickly.
As for the rationale of those behind the attack, remember that the primary effect of early viruses was a "Kilroy was here" showing snobbery towards the victims.  This attack was likely done just to show everybody that they COULD.
Thank you, Eric, for providing this place for us to relax.

#7 2015-10-14 16:13:43

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I will paraphrase Spock:  Just because one CAN do a thing, does not mean that one SHOULD do that thing.

The difference between a white-hat hacker and a black-hat hacker is whether or not you're an asshole, not how good you are.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#8 2015-10-14 23:09:22

riun
Inebriated

May they all enjoy electrictronic component cascades or  the crypto virus on their personal hard drives.

"The curse of a reader is reading faster than the author can write (or post)."

#9 2015-10-27 22:21:43

diablo90
Tipsy

The stories for Magusfang are messed up. In some of them the punctuation marks are replaced by a symbol of a white question mark within a black diamond. In others, the stories are one big block of text with no paragraphs.

#10 2015-10-27 22:45:24

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

The question marks are "curly quotes", which Firefox and some other browsers don't interpret properly.

I had not looked at Magusfang's work before the hack, so I don't know if they looked like that before or not, but it would be very odd for the hack to have changed that particular problem.

Unless Magusfang adjusts the curly quote problem, there's nothing I can do about it (it's part of the story file).  The "one big block of text" is caused - I think - by the stories being uploaded as plaintext, rather than HTML.  I thought I already had a fix in place for that issue.  I'll look, but if I do, then I don't know what would be causing that issue.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#11 2015-10-28 00:00:24

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Okay, I've managed to fix the issue with the "one big block of text" problem.  The fix was... very strange.

Anyway, that fixes that part.  As I said, the other part is due to curly quotes and other "Word"-style punctuation, which Firefox doesn't understand unless you set the character set to a Windows character encoding, which I refuse to do.  (I'm using UTF-8, which is the standard encoding for the Internet.)

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#12 2015-10-28 00:14:27

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I should point out (something I just discovered):

MS-Word can produce UTF-8 curly quotes properly, if you tell it to save your HTML file in UTF-8 encoding.  There are various ways to do this, so I won't detail how right here, but it's something to look into if you really like curly quotes.

Personally, I just turned the damned things off.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#13 2015-10-28 18:29:43

larryfound
Tipsy

FYI: I just received a PayPal scam email with subject "Your PayPal Account Has Been Limited" to the email address I only use for this site.  It made it through my spam filters so I just wanted to let everybody to be careful.

#14 2015-10-28 23:36:15

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Yes, unfortunately, email addresses are the one piece of useful personal information they did have access to.  I do apologize.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#15 2015-11-02 15:02:14

iccrmmkr
Inebriated

Wow, I'm really glad that the work you had to do was minimalized to correct their attack. Thanks for providing this awesome site and all the work you put into it!

#16 2015-11-08 18:17:13

nightsecho
Wasted

glad things are back up and running

looking at you with wide eyes from the darkness

Board footer