The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-12-14 13:37:55

SlaveMaster
Wasted

julian gives up this was posted at ewp on the 12th

actually i give up. im burnt out and i honestly cant deal with this right now. i have to many things going on in my life to deal with this as well. anyone who wants webspace just email me, kardargo@gmail.com i will see if we can work something out. thank you ewp it was fun for awhile atleast. and i do think i will miss you all. Good bye, Julian

I hate to say this but i think 70% chance of ewp no more

Welcome to The Mystic Wolf Pub

#2 2006-12-14 13:40:59

SlaveMaster
Wasted

Re: julian gives up this was posted at ewp on the 12th

but wait or is it

#3 2006-12-14 17:03:15

Imagineer
Wasted

Mark Twain comes to mind.

That was posted as a news item on EWP's main page on December 6th, not the 12th, and retracted a day later. There's no new public information to suggest that EWP's management is pulling the plug.

That said, I think continuing to report the vital signs of EWP in this forum is inappropriate. People who are interested in developments at EWP can visit EWP.

#4 2006-12-14 20:25:29

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

No offense, Imagineer, but it's up to The Pub staff to determine appropriateness.  And I see nothing wrong with keeping former EWP authors / readers who do not wish to support the site in any way - even by visiting - up to date with what's going on at their former home.

I want to know what's going on in Iraq.  I DON'T want to go there to find out.  It's called "news reporting and analysis".

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#5 2006-12-14 21:04:30

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

TransVader:

While I disagree with Imagineer's desire to not mention EWP here, I disagree with you posting inaccurate information, as well.  The post you mentioned was posted on 2006-12-06, not 2006-12-12, as you reported.

The latest news from EWP is Julian's post, on the 7th, which reads as follows:

Julian wrote:

I will delete all authors who wish to be removed but i will continue to keep it open and allow people to post. if anyone has the will to do the day to day operations please send me an email and i will consider you for the position.

Also, I should report that some authors who requested removal, have not been removed.  If you requested removal from EWP, you need to check to see if your wishes have been carried out.

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#6 2006-12-14 23:25:06

SlaveMaster
Wasted

whe i posted this i did not mean to display the info wrong and i realized he wasent completly giving up until five minutes after other wise i would have deleted this post if i could

#7 2006-12-15 00:08:28

Imagineer
Wasted

No offense taken. Determine away. And you're right, there are people here who have an interest in what happens to EWP that don't want to visit. I didn't do a very good job of expressing my opinion. I'll just say I think it's easy to dwell on the past and depress and distract from the present.

#8 2006-12-15 19:39:06

CSquared
Wasted

Speaking of EWP, I still check the forums on a fairly regular basis, mainly out of habit.  As such, I noticed LAoW's posts demanding that Julian bloody well get around to removing her works.  When I saw the posts, he had not removed them.  He now has - along with the posts.  That doesn't seem to me like the actions of someone serious about making a new go of the site.

CSquared

#9 2006-12-16 02:11:49

LAoW
Completely Blotto

Thanks CSquared. I made my request more clear to him through some posts, since he couldn't take the time to read through an e-mail. So, my stuff is removed. 3dsmile

I don't have to worry about revenge because Karma is a bigger bitch than I will ever have to be.

#10 2006-12-18 18:43:28

Drahkar
Inebriated

Yea, I had to post on the forums to get my stuff removed as well. You'd think email would work better. *shrugs*

#11 2007-07-06 09:27:23

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

J.A.W.:

Okay, here's the thing:

1) I don't want anyone getting overwhelmed with the running of The Pub.  That's why I am limiting the number of authors vs. webmasters.  However, as you might notice, there are no additional qualified webmasters stepping forward to help out with the project.

2) When I opened the site with the current look of the contributor sections, I never intended them to be a permanent condition.  I fully expected to customize them beyond merely the color schemes.  However, it's been seven months, and you can see that I haven't managed to customize a single one of them, including my own.  I'm beginning to wonder if people even *want* customization, or if they prefer the standardized look of things.

If I'm going to customize sites, then I really need to do it to the existing contributors before I add any new ones.  On the other hand, if people would prefer that I spend my efforts on site features other than custom appearance, then I could probably stand to add a few more contributors now.  There is still a limit to the number I will accept, and that number is based upon those contributors' activity levels.  Ten really active authors are much harder to keep up with than 20 authors like... um... well, say like Black Rose, who has admitted in this thread that she doesn't write anything anymore.  3dsmile

Right now, I know that most of the authors here are semi-active at best, and I've heard pleas to add some more active authors to the roster.  I'll need input from people, though, about what it is they really want from this site, before I can decide on a direction to go.  I do not want this to turn into another EWP: That site grew out of control, and the sense of community shrank in direct proportion to the site's speed of growth.  I don't want that to happen again.  Having said that, I know that a stale site is a site that no one visits... so it's time for the readership to speak up.

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#12 2007-07-06 17:07:39

the black knight
Tipsy

Net Wolf wrote:

J.A.W.:

On the other hand, if people would prefer that I spend my efforts on site features other than custom appearance, then I could probably stand to add a few more contributors now.  There is still a limit to the number I will accept, and that number is based upon those contributors' activity levels.  Ten really active authors are much harder to keep up with than 20 authors like... um... well, say like Black Rose, who has admitted in this thread that she doesn't write anything anymore.  3dsmile

Right now, I know that most of the authors here are semi-active at best, and I've heard pleas to add some more active authors to the roster.  I'll need input from people, though, about what it is they really want from this site, before I can decide on a direction to go.  I do not want this to turn into another EWP: That site grew out of control, and the sense of community shrank in direct proportion to the site's speed of growth.  I don't want that to happen again.  Having said that, I know that a stale site is a site that no one visits... so it's time for the readership to speak up.

Net Wolf

I'd say that not bothering with custom appearance is the way to go. Personally, I'd never notice, as I use Stylish to override the appearance of any site I expect to be looking at for any length of time. I don't usually mess with layout with it, though... and a big part is because standardized layouts make for ease of use.

And it's a shame, BR not writing any more. ); But whatcha gonna do...

I'd suggest that any authors added to this site meet a minimum standard of quality. There are enough sites in existence to serve up the unedited crap of prolific beginners.That said, there's some value in regular updates, too.

#13 2007-07-06 18:21:59

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

How new authors would be chosen for this site has already been discussed in a different thread.  All I can say is if you want to have a strong voice about who is posted here and who isn't, you should volunteer your time, or donate your money to the site.  (Okay, that was pretty shameless, wasn't it?  Eh, screw it, I need the help and the money.  3dbig_smile )

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#14 2007-07-06 19:47:54

J.A.W.
Inebriated

Net Wolf wrote:

2) When I opened the site with the current look of the contributor sections, I never intended them to be a permanent condition.  I fully expected to customize them beyond merely the color schemes.  However, it's been seven months, and you can see that I haven't managed to customize a single one of them, including my own.  I'm beginning to wonder if people even *want* customization, or if they prefer the standardized look of things.

What sort of customization are we talking about?  Personally I generally prefer a standardized look and feel that if a person wants something individualized they can set up their own website.  I would much prefer to see you (and the other webmasters 3dsmile ) work on other site features.

I would say that a site that drops below at least one new feature a week is going to have problems.  As this one has, I do think you should actively solicit contributors.

Personally I would very much like to hear ideas about how to maintain the quality of the contributors without seeming exclusive or cliquish.  Perhaps openings for contributors could be announced, and there would be a forum where people could post links to their stories, and the best one (by vote) would get the invitation?

#15 2007-07-06 21:21:29

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

The customization was actually supposed to look as if they HAD designed their own site... only better.  Most people don't know HTML, and they can't design their way out of a wet paper bag.  My original idea was that The Pub would provide that design service for them, while also making them part of a community.  It was ambitious, and I'm not sure I'll ever have the time for it, if I want to get any writing done.

I agree that we do not have enough activity on the site.  My writing is picking up (VERY SLIGHTLY), but it's not going to be enough to keep people coming back.

As to choosing contributors, this was discussed elsewhere.  When a contributor opening is available, the donors to the site will make their recommendations.  Then the forum visitors will vote on those recommendations.  The staff will look at the result of that vote, plus the quality of the works involved, and make the final decision about who to add.  While I am all for helping out new authors who show promise, I'm looking for a certain level of quality to the site, so the popular vote may sometimes be overridden by the staff if we feel the popular author isn't up to snuff.  Also, I hold the power of veto, as there are certain authors that, I don't care HOW popular they are, will never appear on this site, due to the attitude I have seen them display.  I will not make a list here, because I may forget to include someone.

There is no way a site with any form of "membership by invitation" cannot be seen as exclusive... because it IS exclusive.  Anyone who is not invited is excluded from publishing here.  However, the criteria for who gets in is what matters. 

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#16 2007-07-07 04:10:52

Unworthy1
Inebriated

Why not let other authors host their own sites and you just provide a link to their personal sites?

I'm not suggesting that you link to stories on other archives, just authors home pages. Minimal work for your guys but opens the site up to a lot more stories?

You can have a disclaimer with regard to the quality and content of anything not hosted in the pub and it will allow you and your web masters to read some of each authors work to decide if you want to host it here.

Just a thought

#17 2007-07-07 06:40:44

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Um... simple answer:  Because it destroys any sense of community.  I have less than zero interest in forming "the largest repository of erotica on the InterWeb".  I form websites to create communities, because I have no communities in real life.  If the authors and readers aren't interested in talking to each other and socializing, what the fuck's the point in having a website at all?  If all I wanted was to get stories out to the masses, I could just post to Usenet.

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#18 2007-07-07 07:02:43

the black knight
Tipsy

How much work is involved in creating forum categories/threads? If it isn't much, it could be possible to provide those authors who are interested with the appropriate code to link their own sites to forum threads hosted here. Which would expand the community, without creating (much) excess workload for this site's admins.

If  I'm overlooking something obvious, my only defense is my extended 'sabbatical' from code generating.

#19 2007-07-07 08:57:25

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

*sigh*

Yes, what you're missing is the understanding that a community is not spread to Hell and back again.

You're suggesting the notion of a "community" that is barely aware of the site that hosts it.  Why would I use up my time and resources to support everyone else's website?  I mean, it's one thing to allow someone to promote their website using a post on our forum.  It's an entirely different issue to provide them with forum services.  What has The Pub gained by that?  I can guarantee you that, were we to do such a thing, those authors would have a link directly to their forum threads, not to the forum as a whole, and not to The Pub.  It would be totally counterproductive to promoting THE SITE.

All of you seem obsessed with the number of authors available.  If all you want are numbers, I suggest you visit either SOL or ASSTR.  In either case, you'll have more authors than you can possibly read.  But you won't find a community there.  Forums alone do not make communities, either.  There has to be familiarity and interaction.  People who visit here frequently were probably already aware of how I was going to react to your suggestion.  They were probably shaking their heads going, "Oh, Guardians is he going to get it now..."  That's because people KNOW me.  And while some may not like me, others do.  Point is that they stay with me because I'm trying my best to promote a place where socializing is promoted and considered a good thing.  I am not striving to create a site where you can run in and out, grabbing the story you want along the way.  This is not the Erotica version of 7-11.  Yes, I've tried to make finding things convenient, but I honestly hope that people will stay here, read here, and TALK HERE.  I understand that the site needs more activity, but adding authors just for the sake of adding authors puts us right back where EWP was when I left it in 2005: an archive of stories with no one giving a damn about anybody.  That's *why I left*.

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#20 2007-07-07 14:19:44

Unworthy1
Inebriated

Sorry Net, I didn't mean to give you a hard time I was only suggesting a way for you to do what you said you planned to do without incurring too much extra work!

Whilst on the subject of communities, is there a chat room somewhere out there where you lot meet and talk? It's been so long since I was on an IRC channel, I will have to ask the kind lady BR to talk me through it again and remind me what software it was I used to use. I have just downloaded a copy of mIRC in anticipation!

#21 2007-07-07 14:50:05

the black knight
Tipsy

Hell, Net... I kinda half expected that, too. I mean, honestly I do remember what you were like before. I wasn't absolutely sure, as the understanding of what, precisely, you meant by 'community' wasn't quite clear in my mind. And your reasons - so far as I understood them - for limiting the number of authors was more related to reducing workload for the admin staff, so I thought a (possibly) valid solution which incorporated Unworthy's suggestion would be welcomed. Somewhat.

Obviously, somewhere along the line, there was a disconnect between reality and my understanding of it. My bad. Sorry.

#22 2007-07-07 15:33:59

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

Unworthy1 wrote:

Sorry Net, I didn't mean to give you a hard time I was only suggesting a way for you to do what you said you planned to do without incurring too much extra work!

Whilst on the subject of communities, is there a chat room somewhere out there where you lot meet and talk? It's been so long since I was on an IRC channel, I will have to ask the kind lady BR to talk me through it again and remind me what software it was I used to use. I have just downloaded a copy of mIRC in anticipation!

Seeing I'm a fairly regular visitor to said IRC channel I will post this.  There are actually two ways to get there.  There is a Java chat that can be found by going to the main page=>Communicate=>Java Chat Room or if you want to use something like mIRC go to irc.dal.net or find a DALnet server in the defined server list.  The channel is #the_mw_pub.

Last edited by Storymaster69 (2007-07-07 15:35:54)

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#23 2007-07-07 20:24:38

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Okay, purposes of The Mystic Wolf Pub, in order of importance.

1. To foster a community between authors / artists (hereinafter called "contributors") and their readers / fans (hereinafter called "viewers") through communication and socializing.
2. To help contributors improve their skills through constructive feedback from both viewers and other contributors.
3. To give the contributors here resources to help them with their projects.
4. To give the viewers content.

Notice how far down the list the amount of content is?  Content is not my priority because the acts of establishing points 1, 2, and 3 creates point 4 almost automatically.  The difficulty is that without point 4, there aren't any viewers, so points 1,2,3 fall apart.  But if you have too much of point 4, points 1,2,3 become impossible to achieve because there is no sense of familiarity between the people here.

What I would ultimately like to achieve is to add about one contributor a month.  I think this would give enough time for everyone to get to know them and start recognizing both their work and their forum posts.  I would love it if we could get the current contributors to show up in the chat room for something like a scheduled chat, but I don't know how willing the current contributors would be to participate in such things.

I'll be honest: the project I was going to form when I left EWP back in 2005 was a writers guild.  It's still the thought that drives me.  Making writers better is my real interest.  Giving the public something to read...  there's no way I can compete with the other sites out there; they are just too big.  I never got the writers guild off the ground, but I am trying as much as I can to incorporate the ideas of a place where writers can have the tools to become better, into The Pub.

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#24 2007-07-08 03:42:10

Black Rose
Evil Bar Wench

Unworthy... you used to use Trillian, best I recall.  I could tell you how to make the connection from there, but it's probably better to do while chatting.  I might even be able to dig up the AIM name I used to talk to you on if I look.  I'm such a lazy person that I hardly ever change anything on my contact lists.  Trillian's website iswww.ceruleanstudios.com

Black Rose

"Being a writer is a very peculiar sort of a job: it's always you versus a blank sheet of paper (or a blank screen) and quite often the blank piece of paper wins." – Neil Gaiman

#25 2007-07-08 04:39:15

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

IRc dosen't work very well on macs in my exp

BTW net once i acctually am able to sit down and learn java and bring my CSS back to snuff i'll be more than happy to help w site issues

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

Board footer