The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-12-07 10:23:12

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Future Feature Requests

Okay, yeah, the site is all of two days old, and I'm already talking about feature requests.  That's because the site is nowhere near finished.  Like a city, this site will never be "finished".  I'm going to be constantly looking to add things that you might want to see, so long as they in some way relate to the point of the site (supporting authors and artists and their fans).

Here are some features that are already planned, so you don't need to request them:

* Notification system: to let you know when contributors on your favorites list have updated something.
* Recommendation system: finishing this off so that it will give you recommended reading material.  Right now, it merely gathers information.  PLEASE use this system and tell it what you think of the stories.  Until it gathers enough info, it's not going to be useful.
* Recipe book:  For sharing our favorite dishes.  Hey, you've got to keep up your strength for... uh... "after dinner activities..."
* Story auto-scroll mechanism: for hands-free reading.  (Hey, why do we need hands-free reading again...?  Ohhhhhh, yeahhhhhh, that.  3dwink )
* Advanced search engine: full-text search of stories.

And last but not least

* COMPOSITE Novels: An idea introduced in the past that never got off the ground.  The name stands for:
--- Collaborative Online Multi-Path Open Source Imaginary TalE.

A COMPOSITE Novel is a story that starts out with a single "Chapter 1", to which anyone, author or not, may contribute a chapter 2, and there can be multiple chapter 2's.  Likewise, anyone can add a new chapter to any path through the story.  No one contributor will own this story.  It may be extended and modified by any one in any way (so long as no commercial gain is made from it, of course, as the "Open Source" name implies...)  The idea is to allow would-be writers a chance to get their feet wet without having to commit to an entire novel on their own.

Well, these are the features that we have planned (that I can remember at 4:17am...).  If you would like to see some other kind of feature that I've not mentioned, ask.

I will say this:  Don't bother asking for a numerical rating system.  There will never be one.  Ever.

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#2 2006-12-07 17:06:14

Micky0077
Tipsy

Re: Future Feature Requests

Not sure if this is the correct location for this, so sorry if I mis-posted.

In the discussion board... will there be some iconic method of telling where there are new posts/discussions? Just registered and haven't even looked at profile options yet so if it is there...sorry.

edit: umm nevermind? It wasn't indicating new posts to me until I wrote this...and then it only showed this one...guess it starts out with all posts marked read.

Last edited by Micky0077 (2006-12-07 17:08:34)

#3 2006-12-07 20:04:48

Imagineer
Wasted

On an image-series page, it'd be nice to have a button to open the image in a window of its own, i.e. launch a new window (or use the same window) with the naked image file itself as the url. Thus one could see a full-resolution image using whatever image viewer her own browser configuration allows.

As is, it took me about a dozen clicks to view a full-size rendition of "The Unblinking Eyes" without scrollbars.

By the way, are you building this city on rock and roll?

#4 2006-12-07 21:11:14

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Why didn't you just save the silly thing and look at it in your image viewer?

I will see if I can find a way to do this that doesn't disable some of the other functions of the page (like the counter and such).

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#5 2006-12-07 21:45:58

RED_FOX87
Inebriated

How about adding the bookmark feature like on EWP. The one that tells you what chapter was the last you read.

Sex is good, Sex is fine, Doggystyle Or 69, For having fun Or getting paid, Everyone likes Getting laid.

#6 2006-12-07 22:28:28

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

... Have you actually looked at the site?

There IS a bookmark feature on this site, that, assuming you have Javascript enabled, not only bookmarks the CHAPTER you're on, but your position WITHIN the chapter.  If you don't have JS enabled, it will only bookmark the chapter.

It's in a nice big box on the left side of every item unit (story chapter) display page.

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#7 2006-12-08 03:08:40

RED_FOX87
Inebriated

The bookmark one? lol, I never really use it. I thought it was to the page to favorites.

Sex is good, Sex is fine, Doggystyle Or 69, For having fun Or getting paid, Everyone likes Getting laid.

#8 2006-12-08 03:36:52

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

-.- 

Okay, let's see.  There's a button (or three buttons) in a box, that use the word "bookmark".

There is a button right below that box that uses the word "favorites"...

How, exactly, can I make this clearer?

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#9 2006-12-08 04:12:11

LAoW
Completely Blotto

In regards to Net: I love this man. He makes me laugh.

I don't have to worry about revenge because Karma is a bigger bitch than I will ever have to be.

#10 2006-12-08 05:09:36

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

this is just a thought how bout letting fans pick which authors get added (kinda like american idol) this could be a once a year thing

Upside u get to be simon (the asshole british guy)

this idea is way rough and was just a thought we had today while at work

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#11 2006-12-08 05:30:29

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

You mean like the Black Dragon awards?

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#12 2006-12-08 07:25:23

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

"how bout letting fans pick which authors get added"

Goes without saying.

I don't like this idea. 3dsmile Only because I'll never get in! :~(

#13 2006-12-08 13:23:01

RED_FOX87
Inebriated

Net Wolf wrote:

-.- 

Okay, let's see.  There's a button (or three buttons) in a box, that use the word "bookmark".

Net Wolf

Yea, I get it now. What I meant was that I THOUGHT it was to add the page to the favorite.

And' I'm all for letting fans pick authors. There are a couple of good ones that aren't here. Off the top of my head, I'd mention The Lurker and Moghal.

#14 2006-12-08 15:35:10

siath
Wasted

How are you going to let a bunch of people pick an author when over 3/4 of them can't even give feedback?

My story has been read at least 7 times and I have gotten one comment on it.
No that would never work.

Siath

#15 2006-12-08 18:16:15

Imagineer
Wasted

siath wrote:

My story has been read at least 7 times and I have gotten one comment on it.

For any other site, I bet that's an amazingly high percentage 3dsmile

Readers (more truthfully forum visitors) choosing contributors? "Like American Idol" -- that hardly helps the argument. "American Idol" is the epitome of entertainment pabulum. I hope we can do better here.

In American culture at least, we're quick to demand a vote, but somewhat less enthusiastic about sharing, discussion, and participation. Sometimes we're so enamored with building the perfect voting system for everything that we lose sight of what we're really trying to accomplish. And sometimes, voting is counterproductive, especially the kind of secret ballot that Americans have been taught is the perfect answer to everything. Our obsession with turning everything into a contest and determining a winner isn't always a good thing, either.

Readers should suggest contributors -- not as any formal thing, but just as a natural part of sharing and discussion that happens here -- and trust that Net Wolf will act as a good steward of this new community.

We should all feel strong enough to stand and say something without a rigid structure to prop us up.

That's what this particular drunk at the end of the bar thinks.

---
Imagineer

#16 2006-12-08 18:25:57

Imagineer
Wasted

New Feature Request -- Forum-to-Story Link

Nothing fancy, just include a link to the story in the auto-generated "Please read and comment" message.

Sure, navigating from the forum to the story is clear enough, but shortcuts can be handy, and I think not too cluttering in this case. It's a natural connection for those who are more forum-oriented than menu-oriented.

#17 2006-12-08 19:29:33

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

it was just a rough idea

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#18 2006-12-08 21:48:01

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Okay, I will say that I am toying with a modification of this idea... but I'd had it before Neitherspace mentioned it.  It is on public record that the entrance of new contributors to this site is limited, because it is a hand-designed site for each contributor, also because I refuse to become overwhelmed again, and won't let any other admin get overwhelmed, either.  Thus, there will be a waiting list of people who want onto the site.  There already is, in fact.

Who gets to join the site off that list?  Do I take them in the order they asked, or do we make a value judgment about which author is a more valuable addition?

Personally, I feel that, while I want to support new and growing authors, I also wish to present the best possible content.  That means that, for the most part, we will choose the best authors for the site.  This is not a single-person decision, however.  The entire staff will make this assessment at the point that we are choosing new authors.

The part I'm still toying with is the idea of allowing the donators to vote to have a collective single voice about who they want to be the next author, which will be taken into consideration when the staff is deliberating.  Why the donators, and not the entire readership?  Well, quite frankly, because it encourages people to donate.  Duh.  3dsmile  Okay, seriously, because the people who donate deserve some special consideration for supporting me, and having some kind of say in the direction the site goes is the best way I can say thank-you to them.

I will always accept suggestions and recommendations from everyone, but really, if you want to see an author here, your best move is to suggest that the author request a slot on the site.  They'll be added to the waiting list, and they can be decided upon at the next opening.

Net Wolf

PS: No, authors will not be "thrown away" if they're not chosen at the first possible opening.  No one will be removed from the waiting list unless they asked to be.

----
Facebook page

#19 2006-12-08 22:14:11

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Okay, after.... animated discussion... with LAoW, a change in this idea:

Starting with the waiting list, the donators would vote first.  We would then take the top... 3 or 5... a number to be determinded depending on the way the vote went, and those would be presented to all the readership.  Once the readership had voted on those top choices, that final vote would have a single voice in the deliberation.  Further, all current authors on the site would have a separate vote, which would also have a single voice in the deliberation.  Taking all of that into account, the staff members would then make a final choice about who would be the next author.

We feel this gives donators some real influence, yet allows everyone to voice an opinion, and gives the staff clear information about the desires of the readership when making their decision.

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#20 2006-12-08 22:15:16

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

Net Wolf wrote:

-.- 

Net Wolf

I suspect I will get whapped upside the head by Net for this and I will do much the same thing to myself once I see the answer but for the life of me I can't figure out how to know which story I bookmarked.  I mean I *know* because I'm testing it but I see no indication that the story *was* bookmarked short of opening the story and then clicking on the go to bookmark button.

I was assuming that when I had set a bookmark there would be some place central that listed the bookmark(s) I had set incase I should forget exactly whose story I was reading before.

Last edited by Storymaster69 (2006-12-08 22:16:26)

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#21 2006-12-09 04:19:24

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

so what'll u call the new author "contest"

cause "fake id" (or something similar) would fit well

#22 2006-12-09 04:28:41

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

How do you know if you've set a bookmark for a story?

Do you see a "Go To Bookmark" button?  Then you set a bookmark for that story.  Until you do set a bookmark, there is only a "Set Bookmark" button.

No, there is no central location that tells you what you've bookmarked.  If you feel there should be such a thing, you should say so here.  3dsmile  (Hey, you didn't ask me to add anything, you asked me how to find something. )

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#23 2006-12-09 04:31:56

dracaiel
Inebriated

Net Wolf,

I think it would be a nice feature to be able to view all of your bookmarked stories from a central location; something like a "reading queue", if you will.

Thanks,

Dracaiel

#24 2006-12-10 08:13:40

procrasti
Tipsy

In terms of how the readers will vote, (now this is just an idea, don't smote me now...smite?) is forum karma taken into consideration when allowing a reader to vote?  I am just curious because I think that this will give a more proper input from the readers if you are doing a collective whole of readers in regards to new authors.

At your service, a vagrant with a vague rant...

#25 2006-12-10 22:17:17

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

Seeing you asked... 3dtongue

Would it bee too complicated to make a system so that for each contributor section one can save the preferred colour scheme for each one?

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

Board footer